Innovative Marine Aquariums

Testing Strontium/Potassium

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

I use Salifert for everything else...

What are you guys using to test Strontium and Potassium... Want to get accurate testers!

I use saliferts for K, it seems reproducible which leads me to believe it is accurate. It is a little more involved that their standard tests, for Sr, I go my my acans, (I know terrible right) when they loose their "puffiness" I add a few drops of a SrCl2 solution I prepared and they bounce back with in 12 hrs.

• 2 weeks later...

I got 9 various test kits, Salifert all the way :) BTW my potassium hasn't changed since setup a few month back, but depends on what you'll keep in there, my softies hasn't touched it.

I use Red Sea for potassium. It's one of the recommend test kits for DSR Reefing. Check the bottle of titrant D for crystals, and warm it in your pocket till the crystals go back into solution before use.

Haven't tested strontium yet because in researching it, more than one chemistry guru said the tests were inaccurate and the supplements probably didn't contain much useful strontium.

If anyone reading this supplements potassium, I have a question. I tested my tank and read 200 ppm potassium. I added a DIY potassium chloride supplement raising it to 400 ppm over about 12 hours. That night my RBTA split into three parts. Has anyone seen this happen? I'm wondering if the split was just a coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Strontium I do test and add for, its the only test I can do month to month, and the tank strips it from recommended 8-9 to zero, now bi-weekly testing.

I look at it as a vitamin for my corals, part of the overall picture if you like.

Strontium I do test and add for, its the only test I can do month to month, and the tank strips it from recommended 8-9 to zero, now bi-weekly testing.

What test do you use and how do you supplement strontium?

I use a Salifert kit, and dose Seachem Reef Advantage Strontium, the powder / crystal one, mixed with RO/DI.

I will say though, it is a much more "finnicky" test kit than any others, as the saifert one tests calcium first, I think the word "inconsistent" when used on test kits, my belief anyway, they are being rushed, I get a perfectly decent result, obviously not to 0.000001, but it gives me a good scale of when to add or not.

Archived