Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New 10g FOWLR Tank - Setup Log and Questions!

nowinsight

Reef breeder value fixture, its awesome, great product, great price, great warranty, I got one thats one a tank with softies, lps, sps, clam and anemone,

The standard has 120, thats just the angle of the cone of light, 120 is prettty wide, 90 is more focused and 60 is pretty focused, with tighter optics you have to hang the light higher to prevent spoting, but the light is more intense, id do the standard 120

Thanks so much. Will this fit on my 20L tank? It says on the website "They include a hanging kit comprised of 4 wires meeting at a carabiner." Do you have experience with this? If I'm not mistaken, my 20L is 30" long.

Also, do you know of any coupon codes I can use with reef breeders? That may impact my decision to purchase based on some more researching that I intend to do.

I see a lot of full spectrum LED fixtures on eBay for about $45 cheaper. The ones on eBay use the same LED diodes from bridgelux, but does anyone have any experience with them?

frankdontsurf

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/244598-my-diy-pvc-overflow/

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/254404-diy-mame-style-pvc-overflow/page-2

Do a search for "DIY Overflow". I like the dimensions of a 20L.

I see a lot of full spectrum LED fixtures on eBay for about $45 cheaper. The ones on eBay use the same LED diodes from bridgelux, but does anyone have any experience with them?

Evergrow D120, OceanRevive, TaoTronics are all "cheap China" fixtures with proven results. There's a smaller cheaper option now I'm not sure of the model name but its basically half a D120 so just perfect for a 10 gallons dimensions.

I'm using GU10 bulbs in a DIY hood, works fine.

the fixture can fit a 20L very well, my friend has the same light over a 20L and its great, i built a PVC stand for it and works great, you can do the ebay one, but be warned, it may or may not work plus has no warranty, the reefbreeders comes with a 2 year warranty, plus they tweek each fixture before shipping to make sure they are up to par, ill see if i can get a pic of their tank soon to show you

I bit on an evergrow unit from eBay. However, if I find that it doesn't work well, has problems, or is subpar, I only have myself to blame. I have heeded your warnings tetraodon!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I made the switch from a standard 10 gallon to a 20L successfully!

Added 10 more pounds of live rock, and switch out of my two koralia nano 240's for a 420 and switched out the Aquaclear 20 for a 70! Now running carbon, purigen, and phosguard, and foam in the AC70!

Here's a FTS (I have no idea how to make these shots come out better. Tried turning off the Blue LEDs but that only helped marginally) You guys called it: the tank is currently going through a diatom bloom. There is brown all over the sand and rocks. I only have about 17lbs of rock in the tank, so I have more coming from reefcleaners!

vAF1Ivx.jpg?1

I have a question for you guys: Should I be concerned about these bubbles forming on what I think is some form of long algae?

Nd96bGe.jpg?1

Okay, that sounds good. At first I thought it was "bubble algae" so I googled bubble algae. However, what I have in my tank looks nothing like bubble algae found through my search and on youtube!

I think I am pretty much done with stocking. After adding more rock and letting that run for a month or two, I plan on venturing into corals!

20Long:

1 small ocellaris clown

1 firefish goby

2 small blue chromis

2 peppermint shrimp (noticed aiptasia growing in the tank so I immediately put in these suckers who did a fine job!)

Right now, I am using Instant Ocean salt mix. How do I switch to a reef salt mix before introducing corals? I don't think it's a good idea to do anything over 50% water change as that'll leave a LOT of the rock/tank exposed to air. Would I just do my regular 10-15% water changes now ahead of time with a reef salt mix?

Okay, that sounds good. At first I thought it was "bubble algae" so I googled bubble algae. However, what I have in my tank looks nothing like bubble algae found through my search and on youtube!

I think I am pretty much done with stocking. After adding more rock and letting that run for a month or two, I plan on venturing into corals!

20Long:

1 small ocellaris clown

1 firefish goby

2 small blue chromis

2 peppermint shrimp (noticed aiptasia growing in the tank so I immediately put in these suckers who did a fine job!)

Right now, I am using Instant Ocean salt mix. How do I switch to a reef salt mix before introducing corals? I don't think it's a good idea to do anything over 50% water change as that'll leave a LOT of the rock/tank exposed to air. Would I just do my regular 10-15% water changes now ahead of time with a reef salt mix?

watch the pep shrimp cause sometimes theyll pick at coral, as for swtiching to a reef salt mix dont have to do anything special if there isnt any sensitive coral in there, just stop using the old salt and use the new salt, even still as long as the rock isnt exposed to air for long it wont matter

Thanks for your quick response. It's much appreciated!

I am kind of worried about the peppermint shrimp messing with corals. Do they tend to bother specific kinds which I can avoid purchasing, or do they bother all of them? I didnt realize they would bother corals!

Ive more of them bother ing zoas and such, but its a toss up if they do or not, if th ey do end up bothering try target feeding the peps or moving them to the sump or fuge

Archived