Top Shelf Aquatics

Setting up new 10G tank for a Mandarin Goby fish

bimbom

OK, fair enough. Unlike many other new to the forum, at least you are listening after you started asking questions.

Wouldn't worry so much about the pH right now. You need to get the tank cycled first, then water changes and chemistry balance should balance out the pH. Don't add buffer...it is easy to imbalance the chemistry chasing a number. Just watch ammonia, nitrite and nitrates to monitor the process.

My choice of cycling is just to add live rock, sand, and perhaps a little food to serve as a C and N source. You can use pure ammonia as well. Not a big fan of using fish...personal choice.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Ok just did all the tests here's the results:

A little background, my tank has been setup since 3/9, and had 3 lbs live rock added 3/10. A few days later 7lbs of base rock added.

Two days ago I changed 3g of the water with 3g of Nutri Sea Water.

Tank temp: 78-80 F stable

S.G: 1.0245

pH: 8.2 (test tube color chart). My ph meter says 7.6 but it may need to be calibrated.

Ammonia: 0.125 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Am I cycled?

Ok just did all the tests here's the results:

A little background, my tank has been setup since 3/9, and had 3 lbs live rock added 3/10. A few days later 7lbs of base rock added.

Two days ago I changed 3g of the water with 3g of Nutri Sea Water.

Tank temp: 78-80 F stable

S.G: 1.0245

pH: 8.2 (test tube color chart). My ph meter says 7.6 but it may need to be calibrated.

Ammonia: 0.125 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Am I cycled?

Tough to tell, but the live rock is certainly a good step in that direction.

What kits are you using? The API kits have a slight background sometimes with ammonia...so hard to evaluate such a low reading.

Did you ever see nitrites?

The pH issue does look like a calibration issue...good to see a "normal" pH reading from the test kit.

Personally, I would wait to see diatoms before I added a CUC. 10 days is a short time. Another way to test for cycle is to add ammonia to 2ppm, and see if it resolves within 24 hours. If so, I think you are good to go.

I will repeat a maxim I have heard from others here, and I think is valid...

"Nothing good happens fast".

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Tough to tell, but the live rock is certainly a good step in that direction.

What kits are you using? The API kits have a slight background sometimes with ammonia...so hard to evaluate such a low reading.

Did you ever see nitrites?

The pH issue does look like a calibration issue...good to see a "normal" pH reading from the test kit.

Personally, I would wait to see diatoms before I added a CUC. 10 days is a short time. Another way to test for cycle is to add ammonia to 2ppm, and see if it resolves within 24 hours. If so, I think you are good to go.

I will repeat a maxim I have heard from others here, and I think is valid...

"Nothing good happens fast".

Sounds like you are on the right track.

This is the test kit I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/API-Saltwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001EUE808

This is also the first test I've done, so I'm not sure if I've ever had nitrites or not. Do you think I should just wait, or add the ammonia and then test a day after?

And by CUC you mean a snail or something of the sort?

This is the test kit I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/API-Saltwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001EUE808

This is also the first test I've done, so I'm not sure if I've ever had nitrites or not. Do you think I should just wait, or add the ammonia and then test a day after?

And by CUC you mean a snail or something of the sort?

Yep, that's the kit. I have had good luck with it, but there is a lot of experience with the community with a minor background in ammonia. Bottom line is you just can't tell right now.

If it were me, I would add ammonia to 2-4ppm and watch it. If you want to have fun, you can test over time and watch the process. If you see fast conversion, you are home free.

Still, I like to wait for diatoms before adding my CUC...yes, snails and other members of a "clean up crew".

Good luck.

Remember, your biofiltration is going to have to be amazing...robust and well established if you really want to hit your goal! Worth taking your time.

Yep, that's the kit. I have had good luck with it, but there is a lot of experience with the community with a minor background in ammonia. Bottom line is you just can't tell right now.

If it were me, I would add ammonia to 2-4ppm and watch it. If you want to have fun, you can test over time and watch the process. If you see fast conversion, you are home free.

Still, I like to wait for diatoms before adding my CUC...yes, snails and other members of a "clean up crew".

Good luck.

Remember, your biofiltration is going to have to be amazing...robust and well established if you really want to hit your goal! Worth taking your time.

Okay, great, I think I will add ammonia and see if it goes away after a few days.

Is this what I need? http://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatics-Ammonium-chloride-Aquarium/dp/B006MP4QG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395353137&sr=8-1&keywords=pure+ammonia

I tested again yesterday and here are the results:

pH: 8.07 (I recalibrated the pH meter, it was indeed off)

Ammonia: < 0.25 ppm (hard to tell with color strip. It's between 0 and 0.25)

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 8 ppm

I haven't bought ammonia yet because I haven't been to the LFS recently. I do not think I see any diatoms yet..

A few other questions:

- Do I need a light on my tank right now? I don't have one, but the tank is getting a lot of sunlight throughout the day.

- When am I supposed to start seeing "diatoms" or brown algae? The only "life" I can see are little tiny things on the live rock that seem to sway back and forth. I also see some brown lines between the sand and edge of the tank that I suppose could be algae.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just wanted to update the thread here:

The tank is doing well.. no mandarin goby yet because I am planning on getting a 30g or 37g for that, and using this 10g as sump.

The water conditions are good (Ammonia ~0, Nitrite 0, pH 8.1), with nitrates staying below 10ppm. I haven't done a single water change yet.

Temp is 79, but can get down to 77 or up to 82 if the ambient goes to extremes (which is does sometimes because my building is old).

Salinity is 1.024, up from 1.023 because I haven't added top off water in a week or more. I used distilled water to top off - is this fine?

Crew:

- 1 small four strip Damsel

- 3 Nassarius snails

- 2 Cerith snails

- 1 Trochus snail

I also have some C. Prolifera in there. It's not growing out of control or anything, but I also don't have any tank lights.

Diatom algae is in patches on the sand bed, and has covered the base rock almost completely. Also have some little bubbles at the bottom of the sand bed up against the glass (nitrogen? oxygen?).

BTW don't cycle your next tank with fish. That is a beginners mistake. Anything that creates ammonia will cycle a tank so no need to kill fish. You can literally add some fish food and in a few days it will be rotting creating ammonia. Saves $ and you won't get hated on for killing fish.

You won't be able to add much of anything with a 4 stripe damsel or move it to your next tank. As they age they become very aggressive.

BTW don't cycle your next tank with fish. That is a beginners mistake. Anything that creates ammonia will cycle a tank so no need to kill fish. You can literally add some fish food and in a few days it will be rotting creating ammonia. Saves $ and you won't get hated on for killing fish.

You won't be able to add much of anything with a 4 stripe damsel or move it to your next tank. As they age they become very aggressive.

I didn't add the Damsel until after the ammonia dropped to 0 (I started the cycle with some fish food). And yeah I am going to donate this guy to the LFS because I don't think he'll be a good match for the other fish I want to get.

I didn't add the Damsel until after the ammonia dropped to 0 (I started the cycle with some fish food). And yeah I am going to donate this guy to the LFS because I don't think he'll be a good match for the other fish I want to get.

I was talking about the mollies.

Archived