inTank Media Baskets

Anemone not hosting clownfish, exchange fish?

jcreefer

Hi everyone,

I purchased a pair of juvenile onxy Ocellaris four months ago along with a RBTA. To date, none of the fish show any interest in the anemone (or my Torch for that matter). I've tried the spot lighting anemone and taping a pic of other clownfish in anemone but to no avail. I will not subject the fish to the stress of being isolated in a confined container trick, so please don't suggest that method.

I like the RBTA and it's happy where it is at (never moved from where I placed it initially), so I would like to keep it. I will be honest and say that I really enjoyed watching the clownfish and anemone relationship at display and is the main reason I got the fish and the invert. Previously In my 55gal tank, I kept a Clarkii with a green carpet anemone before taking that down. But I can't help to feel letdown that I can't enjoy that in my current tank.

So the question is, should I return one of the clownfish, presumably the female in exchange for one that I know does host an anemone? Is this wrong of me? Or is that some magical trick that you guys have that is a sure shot?

Thanks

-Jeff

Patience is really the best way. My ocellaris clowns took a bit more than 3 months to move into their LTA now they hardly leave it. The anemone was also directly under their little area of the tank,then I came down one morning to feed them and they were flashing their butts at it and by evening they moved into it.

They may or may not ever decide to play with the anemone. They could decide to frolick in the zoanthids or the overflow, or the heater. They're strange fish.

The confinement method does not have to be stressful. Get a very large colliander which floats at the top of your tank and place the fish and anemone in it. At the very least when/if you attempt to exchange one of the fish, you are putting the same amount of stress on the fish as you would trying to catch it to put it in with the anemone. When they have no place to sleep except the anemone, bingo.

The confinement method does not have to be stressful. Get a very large colliander which floats at the top of your tank and place the fish and anemone in it.

How do I detach the foot from the rock work? The foot is squeezed into some crevasses? How long do I leave them in together to know if it would work? Do I put one or both fish in with the anemone? I am willing to try as long as it doesn't induce any more stress than it has to be.

Thanks

Jeff

So I tried out Kat's method today. I must say, I was as nervous as the fish/anemone was stressful. Digging around the pantry, I found two different sized Tupperwares (the cheaper disposable ones) that the wife "wouldn't mind sharing". With a drill bit, I drilled several holes on all sides to house the animals.

Getting the anemone to release its foot was an ordeal. Initially I tried the turkey baster, didn't really do much. If anything it made the anemone cling to the rock even more! I then used a mini-jet power head and pointed it at it, still wouldn't budge. I got a bag of ice to rub against the foot, nope. Then I figured, maybe I can stimulate it so it would ball up, thereby exposing the foot. In comes my trusty bamboo chopstick. With it, I rubbed against its tentacles and then slowly poked the foot until it released.

That only took about an hour.....

Now to catch the two clowns, err, clownfishes. Let's just say I've always wanted to rescape my rock work.

That took another 1.5 hrs....

I placed the anemone and the fish into the larger Tupperware and watched cautiously, ready to move in with my net should anything happen.... Initially nothing happened, so I gently persuaded the fish to get near the anemone by pushing my net ever so slightly to encourage the fish to get near the anemone. IT WORKED!!! Lightning the male (the smaller of the two), dove right in, but Sally hesitated. (Can you guess what movie the names are from, no I did not name them). A little more than 30 mins later, I see both fish frolicking in the anemone. Over the course of two more hours, I watched to make certain the fish aren't being stung.

Just to be sure that this will be a lifelong lasting relationship, I left them in the Tupperware, in the hopes of making sure they know their "nest/bed".

Disclaimer: I certainly understand the cruelty of this method, and I was against it at the beginning. However, after making certain I understood the risks and taking every precaution to mitigate any mishaps, I was open to taking this one last option as a last resort. It worked in my case but it may not work for you. I do not endorse nor encourage you to try this should you feel 0.01% doubtful or uncomfortable in accepting what may or may not occur.

Jeff

You're very cute.

I'm glad it worked out. Leave them together in the container as long as possible. The clownfish will feed the anemone also as part of their symbiotic relationship so this could be the next bit of training they need to do.

Also, mark the tupperware "FISH" with a permanent marker. The wife will appreciate that.

Also also. The fish can show discoloration from the anemone stings. This usually shows up as black spots. This is perfectly normal and will fade as they fish and anemone get used to each other.

Mine never hosted the anemone either. When I did a tank swap I acclimated the clowns in a bucket with the anemone. In the acclimation bucket there was space for the clowns to avoid the anemone if they wanted to but once the male discovered it he wouldn't come out. Then the female joined him. They rarely left it after that.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Jeff! :)

I have two clowns and an RBTA. I've had the clowns for about 10 month and the RBTA for about 5. The male ignores the anemone and the female only suckles the tentacles. <_<

I'm glad it worked out. Leave them together in the container as long as possible. The clownfish will feed the anemone also as part of their symbiotic relationship so this could be the next bit of training they need to do.

Also also. The fish can show discoloration from the anemone stings. This usually shows up as black spots. This is perfectly normal and will fade as they fish and anemone get used to each other.

I wish you would've told me earlier..... I left the fish and the anemone together overnight. When I woke up, I found both of them snuggled in the anemone and thought it was enough time spent. I place the anemone back in first to allow it to find a comfy spot. Then I let out the fish, as soon as I let them out, it was as if nothing had happened!!! They were back to circling the tank, ignoring the anemone.

At this point, I'm just going to let it be. The hassle of catching the fish is just too much work for me. Hopefully, the memory of those cushy tentacles will remind the fish and help them find their way to the anemone.

Jeff

So I'm trying it again, this time I was only able to catch the male, the more willing one.

I did notice something a bit strange afterwards. Prior to this, the male was the submissive one (the one "twerking"). Now, the female is the more submissive one. Secondly, once the anemone reattached to the rock work, it spawned "sperm"; it was a smoking chimney for about 30 mins. From what I've gathered, this is stressed induced. But the anemone looks healthy and regained all if its bubble tips and coloration. hmmmm....

This time, I'll definitely leave them together longer.

There is an easier way that may work for you as it did I.

Put a picture of a clownfish in an anemone on your aquarium glass, facing inwards(obviously). I had some black ocellaris move to a gigantea this way.

Rollermonkey

Don't forget: In the wild, RBTAs are not the nems of preference for Ocellaris Clowns, and O. Clowns are not one of the 12 clowns typically hosted by RBTAs in the wild.

Will they? Yes, of course, it obviously happens in home aquaria. But it isn't perfectly natural for either the clowns or the nem.

Don't forget: In the wild, RBTAs are not the nems of preference for Ocellaris Clowns, and O. Clowns are not one of the 12 clowns typically hosted by RBTAs in the wild.

Will they? Yes, of course, it obviously happens in home aquaria. But it isn't perfectly natural for either the clowns or the nem.

mag floats may be more natural for them to host in home aquaria... thats what mine tell me atleast.

I moved my clown to a new tank and it still hosts the AC120 area. I suppose the mistake was both tanks have an AC120 in the back left. I never see my clowns unless I sit down and can view the top of the tank.

so are the clowns hosting it now? hope so

i guess i got lucky, my 2 clowns instantly hosted both my anemones along with a feather duster and a frogsspawn. They run to the closest one when scared now.

Kinda funny my clowns host some acans during the day and at night lie flat on the rock to sleep. Lately the male has been cleaning a bed in the back.. I wonder what he is doing.. hmmm That little f'er better not start prepping for his misses to start popping babies.. That will be food for the wrasse I am afraid if it is the case..

Kinda funny my clowns host some acans during the day and at night lie flat on the rock to sleep. Lately the male has been cleaning a bed in the back.. I wonder what he is doing.. hmmm That little f'er better not start prepping for his misses to start popping babies.. That will be food for the wrasse I am afraid if it is the case..

how's your acan handling the abuse from the clowns? i've never herd of clowns hosting acans before but could only imagine that the coral takes a beating from it

Archived