Innovative Marine Aquariums

Should I change my filters?

zoohed

Ok the story. I bought a Kent 35gpd RO unit about 3 or so years ago. I didn't really start using it till about 2 1/2 years ago. I used it for a while then my tank crashed and I got out. This was never ran 24/7 or even for more than a few hours at a time. I usually just made 5 gallons or so. I have never flushed the membrane or had a TDS meter. Ok fast forward to now. I decided I was going to get back in and give the reef thing a try again. So I pulled the old RO unit out of the closet and hooked it back up. Now it did go into the closet with everything inside still wet. The filter looks somewhat brown but I have city water and this is more than likely rust plus who knows what else. So just by the time it has sat and the amount of time ran I ordered a new filter and a new carbon filter. I also finally purchased a hand held TDS meter and an add on DI chamber. So the TDS meter came yesterday and I decided to see what the TDS of the water coming out of the unit was just for laughs. Well it is at 003. So I went and checked my tap water just to make sure the brand new meter wasn't off and the tap water is at 311. So if the meter is off I can't imagine it is by much. So my question is do I change the filters out and add the DI on and just start all fresh? Or should I just use the add on DI with the current filters? I did also buy a membrane flush kit and plan on doing that as well.

HecticDialectics

Ok the story. I bought a Kent 35gpd RO unit about 3 or so years ago. I didn't really start using it till about 2 1/2 years ago. I used it for a while then my tank crashed and I got out. This was never ran 24/7 or even for more than a few hours at a time. I usually just made 5 gallons or so. I have never flushed the membrane or had a TDS meter. Ok fast forward to now. I decided I was going to get back in and give the reef thing a try again. So I pulled the old RO unit out of the closet and hooked it back up. Now it did go into the closet with everything inside still wet. The filter looks somewhat brown but I have city water and this is more than likely rust plus who knows what else. So just by the time it has sat and the amount of time ran I ordered a new filter and a new carbon filter. I also finally purchased a hand held TDS meter and an add on DI chamber. So the TDS meter came yesterday and I decided to see what the TDS of the water coming out of the unit was just for laughs. Well it is at 003. So I went and checked my tap water just to make sure the brand new meter wasn't off and the tap water is at 311. So if the meter is off I can't imagine it is by much. So my question is do I change the filters out and add the DI on and just start all fresh? Or should I just use the add on DI with the current filters? I did also buy a membrane flush kit and plan on doing that as well.

3 tds after di?

AZDesertRat

ABSOLUTELY change the sediment and carbon block filters and disinfect the system before installing the new replacements. As long as it has been I would remove the RO membrane from the housing then wash the entire system in warm soapy water the screw all the empty housings back together, add no more than two spoonfulls of regular unscented bleach to the first sediment filter housing then run water through the system and let the bleach solution sit for several minutes before flushing it all out. Next i nstall only the sediment filter and flush it to waste for several minutes to flush out any glues and binders before installing the carbon block, flushing it to waste to remove any carbon fines or dust. Next reinstall the RO membrane and make 3-5 gallons or RO water before finally installing the new DI filter and sending the first 1/2 gallon or so to waste at which point you should have 0 TDS RO/DI water.

Your TDS meter cannot measure bacteria and viruses which could be growing in the stagnant system which has been sitting for who knows how long in the perfect conditions to grow them. You have still, warm water and the carbon has removed any residual disinfectant.

Also send the flush kit back, it has no proven value other than to lighten your wallet and give you a warm fuzzy feeling.

I didn't even think about bacteria. Thanks for the thorough reply. I will be taking your advice and do all of that. Thankfully I haven't used it for anything yet.

Archived