Innovative Marine Aquariums

Harliquin Shrimp breaking the rules, why and how.

ptownfro

So my harliquin shrimps have started to try other foods but starfish. Specificly montipora frags and only frags no colonys. They also ate a featherduster worm. Has anybody else had experience with this?

I can say they ate all the astrea stars and i fed a choc. star to them and the monti frags stop dissapearing during the night. Was it just hunger so they adapted to what was available.

I have never had them, but I am sure if they are hungry enough they will go looking and try other things. not a good thing for them as that would be like starvation hungry.

the odd part is is that this was after like 3 to 4 days after i last spotted a astrea was when they started doing that. i dont think they can really starve in 4 days.

i originally grabbed this pair because it went after a variety of food items all tube feet animals though. . I was more wondering from a biologist point of can these animals be adapting to feed on more readily available foods. i only ask because in its planktonic form it feeds on many food items some being a little less then its own size. Is it possible these harliquins just kept a taste for other foods.

Harlequins can decimate an astrea population in no time. My single large harlequin can eat a 4" cc star in about 5 days. Did you see them actually eating these other things? Sounds like they are really hungry.

Considering starfish are one of their staple food items in nature, I wouldn't be surprised at all by this activity.

Nanofreak79

I feed mine a whole CC every two weeks, or about a week after he's finished the last. I've never heard of, or seen them eat anything else. Post some pics of him eating other foods, I'd be interested.

Archived