Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Purigen recharging

drfu

I have purchased an extra bag of Purigen so i can always have one ready to swap for either of my tanks. A couple of questions:

1) After bleaching, i have rinsed it under tap water for a couple of minutes, placed it in a small bucket with water & prime with an extra pump for water flow. Could i have just used ro water vs prime?

2) i have neen rinsing it for over 8 hours, no bleach smell but does have an odor, does this stuff have its own smell, i cant remember?

3) how do i store my extra bag as i think i read that if it dries out its no good?

Please advise, thanks!

The need to use prime has to do with the chlorine in the bleach.

Mine smells like fish or something. Pretty gross.

Storage - I have no idea. I hadn't heard that if it dries out it's no good, but it makes sense as they package it with water. I'd say put it in a tupperware container with a small amount of water in it, just enough to keep it moist. Put it in the fridge to keep mildew/mold issues down.

The need to use prime has to do with the chlorine in the bleach.

Mine smells like fish or something. Pretty gross.

Storage - I have no idea. I hadn't heard that if it dries out it's no good, but it makes sense as they package it with water. I'd say put it in a tupperware container with a small amount of water in it, just enough to keep it moist. Put it in the fridge to keep mildew/mold issues down.

What do you think of a ziplock bag? I like the idea of the fridge!

Ziplock bag would be fine, too. Tupperware is nicer because it stays airtight longer and is less permeable in general, but it'd be fine, considering how often we swap out purigen. I think tupperware would contain more of the stank, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I recharged mine but I let it dry out. I dont understand why you would need to leave it wet..

It's a resin so I would assume moisture would preserve the purigen

natalia_la_loca

It's a resin so I would assume moisture would preserve the purigen

Seachem says that if it's allowed to dry out, the little pellets are more likely to crack and break up into grit that falls out of the pouch. However, this is harmless to the tank.

I allow mine to dry out because I rotate the pouches and want to be certain that all traces of bleach are gone. There is a small amount of grit that falls out when the Purigen dries, but the vast majority of the little pellets haven't broken up despite multiple bleachings and dryings. I've been recharging them for years.

Archived