Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bubble Tip Anemone questions

PiscesFish

So, I purchased a Green Bubble Tip Anemone last night and he was swelled up with bubbles and everything. Acclimated him, and added him to my 28g nano cube tank. This morning, I was trying to find him to make sure that none of my corals have been zapped and turns out that he crawled into a hole in my live rock.

8 hours later (because of school), I come home and some bubbles are swelled, but the mouth was wide open. I fed it with some Mysis Shrimp and some Oyster Feast. The anemone is about the size of a quarter by the way. And after I did that, the mouth sealed tightly shut. It was doing well, until the lights went off.

The mouth seems puckered a bit I guess you can say and the mouth was somewhat open, tentacles shrivled, and it looks like it's closing.

So my questions are...

1) How long does it take for an anemone to acclimate to a new tank?

2) My anemone buried itself in a dark cave basically, will it be okay?

3) If it still acts this way the next few days, what are some ways to make sure it is doing well?

I am very bad with taking pictures... Just so you guys know...

Tank mates:

Black Line Chromis

Corals:

Branching Cyphastrea

Colt Coral

Cabbage

Torch

Duncan

Galaxea

Brown Polyps

GSP

Toadstool

Candy Canes

Clam:

Derasa (Got him last night with the BTA)

Lighting:

105 Watt CF - QUAD (10K white n 7100k Actinic)

Tank Specs:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Specific Gravity: 1.026

pH: 8.3

they usally take a couple days or so to really get used to a tank, and maybe longer, long as you keep good parameters and such itll be fine, the lighting you have is compact florescent? on a side note, your tank might be a little too clean for a clam, you may have to feed for it to do well

they usally take a couple days or so to really get used to a tank, and maybe longer, long as you keep good parameters and such itll be fine, the lighting you have is compact florescent? on a side note, your tank might be a little too clean for a clam, you may have to feed for it to do well

I think they may be a compact. Im pretty sure they are... And the clam should be fed whenever i feed my corals with Oyster Feast.

And thank you for replying quickly. I just don't want to know that i killed a beautiful creature if the anemone did... die. Or was on the process of dying.

Oh! One more little detail with my tank. In a couple of weeks will be when Ive had my tank for 2 years. So my tank is mature.

i rescued a very bad off bubble tip and it recovered, biggest thing was feeding and parameters, just watch the clam and anemone for signs of too much or too little light, how often do you feed your coral?

i rescued a very bad off bubble tip and it recovered, biggest thing was feeding and parameters, just watch the clam and anemone for signs of too much or too little light, how often do you feed your coral?

once or twice a week

So, my BTA is looking much better today. Tentacles are protuding from the cave it's in.

People who are wondering about my clam, he is open and I dont really see any issues.

Great to hear! BTW, don't be surprised if he loses his bubbles. BTAs will do that from time to time. No one really knows why. I had an RBTA in a 29G tall that was tight and bubbly for 6 months. I moved everything to a 29G biocube, added an AI Vega and he ditched his bubbles and had crazy long tentacles. It always retracted into itself at night and every time I fed it. Sadly I had to get rid of him. in 1 year he went from being 3 inches to over 12 inches wide.

The first pic is from the 29 Tall and the second is from the biocube 1 year later...

post-78562-0-28548200-1394148678_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-00535100-1394148699_thumb.jpg

It has been common for my new nems to walk about until they find a place they like. I had one start out perfectly bubbly, to no bubbles, but that thing grew to the size of a volleyball before I had to get rid of it due to size.

Great to hear! BTW, don't be surprised if he loses his bubbles. BTAs will do that from time to time. No one really knows why. I had an RBTA in a 29G tall that was tight and bubbly for 6 months. I moved everything to a 29G biocube, added an AI Vega and he ditched his bubbles and had crazy long tentacles. It always retracted into itself at night and every time I fed it. Sadly I had to get rid of him. in 1 year he went from being 3 inches to over 12 inches wide. The first pic is from the 29 Tall and the second is from the biocube 1 year later...
That is some crazy growth within a year. And i knew about the whole tentacle thing. I was doing research before I got one. Wasnt planning on getting one but I saw one with green and speckles, size of a quarter, and 35 dollars. I couldnt resist. I just couldnt find any good info on any new nems in tanks.

It has been common for my new nems to walk about until they find a place they like. I had one start out perfectly bubbly, to no bubbles, but that thing grew to the size of a volleyball before I had to get rid of it due to size.
Hm, where did yours settle down in? Cause my nem sure loves his cave right now. Though, I must ask, did your nem like bright light? Cause when i bought my nem, he was under LEDs and now hes in the dark...

The last one I had crawled inside/under a small cave in my rock work when I placed it in the tank and eventually settled near dead center of my scape, which meant he was under full blast LED's once he settled.

Yours is just figuring out your tank, flow and rock work, etc. You won't be able to guess where they will end up, and I doubt he even knows where he will be at the moment. If he starts shrinking in size, there may be a problem in your tank, but I doubt it. Give it a few more days.

That is some crazy growth within a year. And i knew about the whole tentacle thing. I was doing research before I got one. Wasnt planning on getting one but I saw one with green and speckles, size of a quarter, and 35 dollars. I couldnt resist. I just couldnt find any good info on any new nems in tanks.

Hm, where did yours settle down in? Cause my nem sure loves his cave right now. Though, I must ask, did your nem like bright light? Cause when i bought my nem, he was under LEDs and now hes in the dark...

Mine moved around from time to time, but for the most part it attached to the underside of an arch I created right in the middle of the tank. They like pretty good flow but they don't like to be directly blasted (IMO).

I just picked up a new one last weekend for my Nuvo SR-80. It's white with some really bright orange and really bright green mixed in. This guy stayed right where I put him, in the middle of the tank wedged between two rocks. Here's a pic of the new guy.

post-78562-0-86571200-1394215576_thumb.jpg

Right now, I'm debating whether or not to try to move the anemone out of its cave because it looks like it's happy in there one moment, then it's all shriveled the next. Then it moves to the right. Then it's moving to the left right now. It just seems bipolar lol...

Is it normal for a new nem to do this?

Mine moved around from time to time, but for the most part it attached to the underside of an arch I created right in the middle of the tank. They like pretty good flow but they don't like to be directly blasted (IMO).

I just picked up a new one last weekend for my Nuvo SR-80. It's white with some really bright orange and really bright green mixed in. This guy stayed right where I put him, in the middle of the tank wedged between two rocks. Here's a pic of the new guy.

I like your nem :happy: . Now I'm debating whether or not to get more rock :P

Right now, I'm debating whether or not to try to move the anemone out of its cave because it looks like it's happy in there one moment, then it's all shriveled the next. Then it moves to the right. Then it's moving to the left right now. It just seems bipolar lol... Is it normal for a new nem to do this? I like your nem :happy: . Now I'm debating whether or not to get more rock :P
Leave the BTA alone! Do not touch it do not move a rock. Leave it alone! Let it do what it wants to. What you should be doing is finding a way to upgrade your lights. PC light will not keep a clam happy or a BTA. That BTA will be dull and stretching for more light in no time. Do your homework and read before you buy anything else.

You're going to need to upgrade your lights to keep the anemone and clam.
This

Leave the BTA alone! Do not touch it do not move a rock. Leave it alone! Let it do what it wants to. What you should be doing is finding a way to upgrade your lights. PC light will not keep a clam happy or a BTA. That BTA will be dull and stretching for more light in no time. Do your homework and read before you buy anything else.

This

I left it alone, and I've been looking at replacing my hood with the LED hood for the 28g nano cube. Do you think the LED's will provide

enough for both the BTA and clam?

Hopefully this doesnt really come off as rude, but I did do my homework, but just didn't complete it. What I mean by that is that I wasn't

planning to get either one as my LFS rarely has clams and one of my LFS usually have giant BTAs. So, I was just taking the research

slow. I did read up on how to care for it and what happens when it stresses and that sort. I just didn't get to the lighting... :mellow:

I left it alone, and I've been looking at replacing my hood with the LED hood for the 28g nano cube. Do you think the LED's will provide

enough for both the BTA and clam?

Hopefully this doesnt really come off as rude, but I did do my homework, but just didn't complete it. What I mean by that is that I wasn't

planning to get either one as my LFS rarely has clams and one of my LFS usually have giant BTAs. So, I was just taking the research

slow. I did read up on how to care for it and what happens when it stresses and that sort. I just didn't get to the lighting... :mellow:

Yes leds will keep a clam and a BTA. I can't help you with what kind of leds though they are not my specialty.

Yes leds will keep a clam and a BTA. I can't help you with what kind of leds though they are not my specialty.

Awesome. Time to convince my mom now to spend almost 400 bucks on this part lol...

I tried to look at the Lighting Forum and I'm trying to read and comprehend what they're saying, but it just looks like a foreign language

to me... So I think I'll stay with the fixture that already comes with the LED hood ;)

Right now, I'm debating whether or not to try to move the anemone out of its cave because it looks like it's happy in there one moment, then it's all shriveled the next. Then it moves to the right. Then it's moving to the left right now. It just seems bipolar lol...

Is it normal for a new nem to do this?

I like your nem :happy: . Now I'm debating whether or not to get more rock :P

LOL, thanks!

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Awesome. Time to convince my mom now to spend almost 400 bucks on this part lol...

I tried to look at the Lighting Forum and I'm trying to read and comprehend what they're saying, but it just looks like a foreign language

to me... So I think I'll stay with the fixture that already comes with the LED hood ;)

You could probably retrofit your hood with nicer LEDs for less money. I was looking into a Nanobox retrofit for my BioCube. It was $350 and a much nicer product.

Nano Box is a NR sponsor, so they have a forum in the sponsor section.

You could probably retrofit your hood with nicer LEDs for less money. I was looking into a Nanobox retrofit for my BioCube. It was $350 and a much nicer product.

I went through a long LED journey with my 29G Biocube. First I pulled everything out of the hood and added two CurrentUSA LED strips. That wasn't enough so I added a third (one blue, one white, one white/blue mixed). Still not enough. Pulled those out and added Panorama Pros. Had four strips. That was enough light but there just wasn't enough control. That was a year ago, there are some decent control options now. Last summer I finally decided to put an AI Vega inside the hood. There just wasn't enough spread so I modded the hood by cutting an opening exactly the size of the Vega and mounted the AI vega so the lights are flush with the inside of the hood. I'm using a Director to control the lights. Love it.

post-78562-0-20691900-1394463184_thumb.jpg

post-78562-0-32410600-1394463186_thumb.jpg

If you mean retrofit my hood as in gutting out the lights and wiring LEDs... I will not be able to do it. I do not do wiring and I'm just afraid of electrocuting myself haha.

I was looking in the Nano Box forum, but I don't know what I'm looking for TBH.

I went through a long LED journey with my 29G Biocube. First I pulled everything out of the hood and added two CurrentUSA LED strips. That wasn't enough so I added a third (one blue, one white, one white/blue mixed). Still not enough. Pulled those out and added Panorama Pros. Had four strips. That was enough light but there just wasn't enough control. That was a year ago, there are some decent control options now. Last summer I finally decided to put an AI Vega inside the hood. There just wasn't enough spread so I modded the hood by cutting an opening exactly the size of the Vega and mounted the AI vega so the lights are flush with the inside of the hood. I'm using a Director to control the lights. Love it.

So, what is your suggestion for my 28g nano cube then? I have no idea when it's coming to lights, and I really don't want to take too much money out of my parent's pocket for the lights haha...

MyLiquidBlue29BC

If you mean retrofit my hood as in gutting out the lights and wiring LEDs... I will not be able to do it. I do not do wiring and I'm just afraid of electrocuting myself haha.

I was looking in the Nano Box forum, but I don't know what I'm looking for TBH.

The Nano Box retro looked pretty simple. Gut you hood and screw in the new light.

Go here: http://nanoboxreef.com/

Then, email Dave and ask for a quote on retrofitting your cube. Tell him you are no good at DIY and ask how hard it would be to install the retro fit or if you can send him the hood.

Archived