Top Shelf Aquatics

HM's soon to be off brand upgrade

HM3105

Depends on which clone you prefer, Ecotech or Tunze :lol:

I just want to move water. Enough to make my zoas happy but not enough yo piss off my LPS. The reviews for the RW line has been good but we'll see closer to year end. I'm thinking two of the RW4 or WP10 should do it..

Nice new additions man. Those Utter Chaos palys will grow really good for you. I have those chalices from Glenn they will get a dark red and blue streaks as the get bigger.

Thanks, those utter chaos are sought after in this area. They've doubled since I got them back in April.

Those chalices have some crazy long sweepers though in the mornings.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much just get some different powerheads lol. If you're on a super tight budget, Marineland version of Maxijets come with a propeller mode that moves stupid amounts of water.

so I had picked up one of these to mix salt with, switched it out tonight. It does in fact move a stupid amount of water. In fact, I had it 3"-4" below the water surface and it would pull air from the surface...

thanks for the suggestion.

• 1 month later...

I realized it had been a month since I updated so picture time!

Zoas on the right side of the tank.

af871099-b980-4b0d-afec-9df643949335_zps

IMG_9682_zps2c9e25be.jpg

Left side with BTA

IMG_9673_zpsee9fc670.jpg

My new BTA! its actually purple with green and orange tips. Its been moving around and this is the first time its been out from under the rocks. The tips are starting to bubble up too which is pretty cool. I'm planning to add two davinci clowns next month so lets hope they decide to live with it.

IMG_9681_zps11b7e64f.jpg

These are the chalices I picked up last month and they're growing!!

IMG_9680_zps8c750335.jpg

IMG_9676_zps70dfa99e.jpg

IMG_9678_zps23fa612a.jpg

Also, I started using B-ionic as my two part on this system, its too early to know how well its working but there is a healthy amount of coraline on the HDPE and the rocks. Its all pretty small but its covering the rocks so I'm excited to see it really start taking off. The algae has largely subsided and now just diatoms on the glass because I probably feed to much.

So next month I'm going to be redoing the return lines to hopefully get rid of some microbubbles in the DT as well as make it easier to remove the return pump. I may also try and rework my sump as I am not thrilled with its current layout. I also promised my wife the other tank would be down and out by the Holidays so come next month that might happen too.

Looking good my friend those new chalices are sick. We should do a trade when your stuff grows out more.

Yes for sure, the pumpkin patch was over growing the disk already so once it grows out enough that I can get an eye off there I will for sure!

So interesting thing, my BTA went climbing like 3 days or so ago and ended up in the top corner of the tank. I turned the power head off that night before I went to bed so he wouldn't get hurt and now I can't find the bugger! Like literally nowhere to be seen in the entire tank. I think I'm going to start taking apart the rock work if he doesn't show tomorrow. Silly nem..

Just a quick update, nothing super awesome going on yet. Still planning the sump update if I have money left over. I am looking into buying a pair of frostbite clowns or maybe a frostbite and flurry.

So here is the FTS for 11/7/14, I redid the scape this week as I was trying to find my BTA but I've now turned over every single rock in there and cannot find it. Haven't seen an ammonia spike and its been missing like a week. I picked up some prime just in case but I haven't even seen the body. It was about the size of a large frag disk and someone told me that sometimes they die and dissolve so I am hoping there will be no ill effects. I bought some Prime just in case...

IMG_9691_zps71dec7f6.jpg

New chalices from a local reefer.

IMG_9693_zps98c37d20.jpg

Gatorades, I was super excited to find these. Last spring they were like $20pp at a frag swap. I think these were $10. From the same reefer as the chalice.

IMG_9697_zpsfd3bc21a.jpg

This another chalice I've had since September, picked it up at my local frag swap. It hasn't really grown much but it is eating. I was thinking about using some JB waterweld and putting it around the base of the skeleton to make it easier for the tissue to grow down the base, anyone have some thoughts on that?

IMG_9700_zpse14f36c2.jpg

jedimasterben

Wow. Without sand your tank doesn't look like somebody poured dicks in it. Maybe I should take a second look at starboard :o

(if your'e wondering, that's ben for 'it looks good!' lol)

Picked up this guy at a LFS, it was hiding under some palys so the store was nice enough to cut the palys off for me. Pretty sure its an Echinata.

with heavy blues

IMG_9712_zps83b6be4f.jpg

Normal lighting

IMG_9713_zps0378f37f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So just a quick note, finally got my ATO installed and I'm pretty excited about it so I wanted to share.

I used the AquaHub top off kit, available from their website or BRS. The instructions were easy to follow and everything worked the first time I plugged it in.

and yes I used PVC more then I should.

It has two switches, one to turn it on and another as a fail safe incase it sticks.

IMAG0607_zps2vsilc80.jpg

The box with the breaker in it to keep from burning the switches out.

IMAG0609_zpsjveqkrqc.jpg

My 5 gallon jugs have a threaded for 3/4", so I put a plug through it, attached a coupling and then dropped in a pipe. I'm just using an aqualifter but this keep the tubing under the water but off the bottom. Plus, bonus feature, it will work on any similar 5 gallon jug.

IMAG0610_zpsgi9gtyxl.jpg

Next on my list of possible equipment is a calcium reactor to keep my Alk nice and stable. I've been having some issues getting my Alk to stay where I'd like it (10-11). Since I use SeaChem Reef salt which has a high concentration of Borate I am assuming the Alk reading on the test kits are high by one point. Anyway, my Alk has been floating around 9-10 so I'd really like to (slowly) get it to 11 and leave it there.

Well time for a new update! I've got all but one of my corals moved from the Spec V into the 40b now, so here is an FTS.

FTS 11/24/14

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9733_zps639b97bb.jpg.html'>IMG_9733_zps639b97bb.jpg

The Acans, they seem to be happy although I am worried they are reaching and maybe my LED's aren't up enough.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9734_zps610c1946.jpg.html'>IMG_9734_zps610c1946.jpg

I got these two chalices from CGA a month or so ago. The first one is recovering from injury which is why its flesh looks nonspeckled.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9742_zps1a7ac847.jpg.html'>IMG_9742_zps1a7ac847.jpg

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9740_zpsd93e648c.jpg.html'>IMG_9740_zpsd93e648c.jpg

This frag is coloring up nicely...

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9744_zps62a4e4cc.jpg.html'>IMG_9744_zps62a4e4cc.jpg

The only sticks I have, a pair of rainbow stylos. These started as one frag which doubled in size, caught STN and I fragged it to save the majority of the branches.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9746_zpsce7f25e6.jpg.html'>IMG_9746_zpsce7f25e6.jpg

Red goni, picked this guy up in March and its still doing well. Seems to really like the new tank.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9747_zps2e57ead0.jpg.html'>IMG_9747_zps2e57ead0.jpg

And of course everyone loves these types of animals, he had a long day...

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9724_zps301bc914.jpg.html'>IMG_9724_zps301bc914.jpg

Thanks for coming by, I'm off to pick up a rainbow BTA from a local reefer!

So picked up this chalice today

normal lights. This is pretty close to how it looks under normal lights. Yeah I know everything around it looks like blue/purple, the camera picks up the violet LEDs really well..

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9784_zpsd5088568.jpg.html'>IMG_9784_zpsd5088568.jpg

This is under almost entire blue, yeah it really glows.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9804_zps1cfea154.jpg.html'>IMG_9804_zps1cfea154.jpg

I picked up this rainbow BTA earlier this week, it plain hard to get with my camera but it still needs to color up. The mother nem was very nicely colored. Naturally mine settled in the back of the rockwork. jerk.

http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/HM3105/media/IMG_9786_zps903e7913.jpg.html'>IMG_9786_zps903e7913.jpg

I also have a Frostbite and a Flurry clownfish coming next week!

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...
Well time for a new update! I've got all but one of my corals moved from the Spec V into the 40b now, so here is an FTS.

FTS 11/24/14

IMG_9733_zps639b97bb.jpg

The Acans, they seem to be happy although I am worried they are reaching and maybe my LED's aren't up enough.

IMG_9734_zps610c1946.jpg

I got these two chalices from CGA a month or so ago. The first one is recovering from injury which is why its flesh looks nonspeckled.

IMG_9742_zps1a7ac847.jpgIMG_9740_zpsd93e648c.jpg

This frag is coloring up nicely...

IMG_9744_zps62a4e4cc.jpg

The only sticks I have, a pair of rainbow stylos. These started as one frag which doubled in size, caught STN and I fragged it to save the majority of the branches.

IMG_9746_zpsce7f25e6.jpg

Red goni, picked this guy up in March and its still doing well. Seems to really like the new tank.

IMG_9747_zps2e57ead0.jpg

And of course everyone loves these types of animals, he had a long day...

IMG_9724_zps301bc914.jpg

Thanks for coming by, I'm off to pick up a rainbow BTA from a local reefer!

Your chalices look great buddy. Is your dog a pitbull and male or female?
jedimasterben

I have a big island on the left and a small island on the right. Is that the golden rule?

Probably. You're a pro aquascaper and you didn't even know it :)

Your chalices look great buddy. Is your dog a pitbull and male or female?

Yup he is 98% boy.. ;) I'm told he is bull terrier but you never know....We got him from a police officer from church. The guy was moving to the K-9 Unit so he couldn't keep him. He was like 8 or 9 and had heart worms when he came to us. He is 12 now and heart warm free! My wife and I say this is his retirement since he used to be an outside dog and now he lives in the house in the lamp of luxury..

BTW, the pumpkin patch chalice has spread down over the frag disk so hopefully it'll keep going and I can get a frag for you in the near future. I fed the heck out of my chalices (like every other day) but now I've got an algae bloom so I cut back to let things settle.

HM understands the golden ratio :)

:lol:

Whats that now? I was trying to use that, sounded like it was just put something smaller on one side then the other. I'm actually thinking of adding a litre or two of Matrix and removing half of the rock, I like the minimal look..

So today I got my clown fish, a Frostbite (Pongo) and a Flurry (Snow Storm).

IMG_9888_zps5580ce3f.jpg

A guy in my local club gave me a referral to fishcollecting.com. I'd never ordered fish before and they did a great job working with me. I contacted them via Facebook and he was very prompt in returning my questions and kept me informed the whole way through.

Now to wait until they find the BTA....

The Chromis have left them alone thus far, I taped a mirror right in front of the main rockwork they live in and that pretty much kept them occupied. So far they've just been curious. I also fed them heavily. You can never be to careful right!

Yup he is 98% boy.. ;) I'm told he is bull terrier but you never know....We got him from a police officer from church. The guy was moving to the K-9 Unit so he couldn't keep him. He was like 8 or 9 and had heart worms when he came to us. He is 12 now and heart warm free! My wife and I say this is his retirement since he used to be an outside dog and now he lives in the house in the lamp of luxury..

BTW, the pumpkin patch chalice has spread down over the frag disk so hopefully it'll keep going and I can get a frag for you in the near future. I fed the heck out of my chalices (like every other day) but now I've got an algae bloom so I cut back to let things settle.

Whats that now? I was trying to use that, sounded like it was just put something smaller on one side then the other. I'm actually thinking of adding a litre or two of Matrix and removing half of the rock, I like the minimal look..

Looks like a Pitbull to me. I bet he is a great dog? I have a buddy who has 2 of them. They look viscous but would lick you to death and they listen really well. I really like white clowns sometimes I want like 8 of them but I know they would fight. I had 5 once and 2 of them slowly picked off the other 3.

Looks like a Pitbull to me. I bet he is a great dog? I have a buddy who has 2 of them. They look viscous but would lick you to death and they listen really well. I really like white clowns sometimes I want like 8 of them but I know they would fight. I had 5 once and 2 of them slowly picked off the other 3.

Yeah we get that a lot, he could have some pit in him. He is a great dog though, very protective of the family but is pretty much the most chill dog ever.

Yes they are adorable, so far they just stick together since the Chromis are twice their size.

Heck yeah with the Flurry! Welcome to the small club lol

Thanks! it was a tough call almost went with the Wyoming. a LFS here has a pair of Wyomings with the black dot over the gil. SO naturally they marked the pair to $200 because they're "black eared clowns" :P

Archived