SaltCritters.com

My 70g Cadlights Artisan, Radion Powered SPS Reef!

Alex B

lilmatty5dimes

your tank is coming along great. i love that lil frag pack you got. def a good deal for those 4 pieces. i agree with some people buying stuff for $1k or higher. but hey if i had that type of cash sitting around i might actually do it. lol i was at a friends house yesterday picking up a space monster frag and he was showing me prices on stuff he's getting and my month just dropped straight to the floor. i'm hoping to hook up with him sometime and order some stuff with him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news about the hydroids! Mine have not started going away yet. If you get some time will you pretty please with sugar on top let me know what all your parameters are, even temperature and media or additives? I'll try and match what you have going now and hope mine will die off too.

Alright did some testing today.

Temp 76-77(don't run a heater in the summer since I'm in fl)

Calcium 400

Alk 7.5-8.0 (still finding the sweet spot)

Mag 1300

Nitrates seem to be a little under 5ppm

Phosphates .03

Ammonia and nitrites 0

I'm not dosing much right now. I do 3 drops of coral vitalizer daily, I also do 2ml of pohls xtra sp 4 times a week. Only other additive I'm dosing is coral snow mixed with zeobak 2 times a week. I'm feeding a little on the heavier side. Feeding corals about 4 times a week. Feeding a combo of phyto, reef chilli, nutricell, sps max, and some homemade stuff. Hope that helps!! Like I said I'm surprised to see them going away. The tank is dirtier then ever. I think it's more about the leveling out and starting to mature.

your tank is coming along great. i love that lil frag pack you got. def a good deal for those 4 pieces. i agree with some people buying stuff for $1k or higher. but hey if i had that type of cash sitting around i might actually do it. lol i was at a friends house yesterday picking up a space monster frag and he was showing me prices on stuff he's getting and my month just dropped straight to the floor. i'm hoping to hook up with him sometime and order some stuff with him.

Thanks! Some people spend a lot of money on this hobby...lol...myself included, but I try to buy smart.

I had a bunch of those in my Nuvo 8. They stung everything they could reach for 5-6 months and then just disappeared, never to be seen again. They should do the same for you also.

You know, it's weird that I did see them briefly a while back, and then they seemed to disappear. Then about 2-3 months ago they came back in full force. I am not too much worried about it as I am breaking down the Nuvo 8 and moving everything into my 34. I am not re-using the rock in the Nuvo due to the digitate hydroids, as well as wanted to start with dry rock. Luckily, I have only seen them on a couple pieces of the rubble that my frags are attached to. So far, I have been able to deal with that by super gluing over them. Hopefully, that keeps them out of the new 34.....keeping my fingers crossed. Also, on a side note, do not ever try to manually remove them by hand. I found out the hard way that they actually pack quite the punch to our skin! Actually left a little scar on my fingers from where I grabbed one and pulled it out.

Calcium 400

Mag 1300

Phosphates .03

Ammonia and nitrites 0

I'm not dosing much right now. I do 3 drops of coral vitalizer daily, I also do 2ml of pohls xtra sp 4 times a week. Only other additive I'm dosing is coral snow mixed with zeobak 2 times a week. I'm feeding a little on the heavier side. Feeding corals about 4 times a week. Feeding a combo of phyto, reef chilli, nutricell, sps max, and some homemade stuff. Hope that helps!! Like I said I'm surprised to see them going away. The tank is dirtier then ever. I think it's more about the leveling out and starting to mature.

Thanks! Some people spend a lot of money on this hobby...lol...myself included, but I try to buy smart.

Just a thought, but have you considered maybe the hydroids haven't actually gone away, but just are not out as much now that the tank is slightly more "dirty". Maybe they were constantly out before due to the tank being so clean.

Polarcollision

Calcium 400

Mag 1300

Phosphates .03

Ammonia and nitrites 0

How old is your tank now? Mine is 9 or 10 months old--lost track.

Thanks for the numbers! I'm doing a lot of the same things you are though I'm not dosing coral snow or zeobak and my temp is 78.5 to 80.5. I'll lower the temp and add those two. Crossing fingers! The other day I took a toothbrush to the thickest patches an then dosed H2O2 to hopefully kill off anything released to the water column. Also picked up an urchin to eat a red wire algae with the added benefit that it mows down a few hydroid patches too.

Ca 400

Alk 8.5-9

Mg 1330

nitrates 1

PO4 0.02

Amm/nit 0

1mL/10 gal H202 2x/wk

Dose spirulina, oysterfeast, reef chilli, ROE, sponge power, CV, mysis, rotifers, cyclopeeze, NLS pellets, BBS, AcroPower AA

You know, it's weird that I did see them briefly a while back, and then they seemed to disappear. Then about 2-3 months ago they came back in full force. I am not too much worried about it as I am breaking down the Nuvo 8 and moving everything into my 34. I am not re-using the rock in the Nuvo due to the digitate hydroids, as well as wanted to start with dry rock. Luckily, I have only seen them on a couple pieces of the rubble that my frags are attached to. So far, I have been able to deal with that by super gluing over them. Hopefully, that keeps them out of the new 34.....keeping my fingers crossed. Also, on a side note, do not ever try to manually remove them by hand. I found out the hard way that they actually pack quite the punch to our skin! Actually left a little scar on my fingers from where I grabbed one and pulled it out.

Just a thought, but have you considered maybe the hydroids haven't actually gone away, but just are not out as much now that the tank is slightly more "dirty". Maybe they were constantly out before due to the tank being so clean.

Nah. I'm lucky. They are gone. These little hydroids don't have a tube or anything to tuck into. The stalk goes directly on the rock. They also grow like in a mat. I had a spot that had a 3x3 mat with hundreds. It is completely gone. I was looking around today, and the ones that are left have something brown growing on them. I guess when they die brown algae covers them. I would imagine after that the stalk let's go and they are off!!

How old is your tank now? Mine is 9 or 10 months old--lost track.

Thanks for the numbers! I'm doing a lot of the same things you are though I'm not dosing coral snow or zeobak and my temp is 78.5 to 80.5. I'll lower the temp and add those two. Crossing fingers! The other day I took a toothbrush to the thickest patches an then dosed H2O2 to hopefully kill off anything released to the water column. Also picked up an urchin to eat a red wire algae with the added benefit that it mows down a few hydroid patches too.

Ca 400

Alk 8.5-9

Mg 1330

nitrates 1

PO4 0.02

Amm/nit 0

1mL/10 gal H202 2x/wk

Dose spirulina, oysterfeast, reef chilli, ROE, sponge power, CV, mysis, rotifers, cyclopeeze, NLS pellets, BBS, AcroPower AA

Everything looks good! If they are the same ones i have, they should dwindle down soon. I stopped dosing sponge power when they were real bad. I figured it would help. My tank is going on almost 8 months I think.

Nah. I'm lucky. They are gone. These little hydroids don't have a tube or anything to tuck into. The stalk goes directly on the rock. They also grow like in a mat. I had a spot that had a 3x3 mat with hundreds. It is completely gone. I was looking around today, and the ones that are left have something brown growing on them. I guess when they die brown algae covers them. I would imagine after that the stalk let's go and they are off!! Everything looks good! If they are the same ones i have, they should dwindle down soon. I stopped dosing sponge power when they were real bad. I figured it would help. My tank is going on almost 8 months I think.

Is it possible that they moved on to the free-floating stage and got filtered out?

Is it possible that they moved on to the free-floating stage and got filtered out?

Could be. I've never heard of these hydroids going through a free floating stage, but I'm not expert. I've noticed the film algae and coralline on my rocks has kind of taken over. I think that's the reason they have pretty much disappeared.

Couple updates. Tank has gone through some huge changes this week. I'm going to do a quick shoot today of I have time. I'm very happy with the tank now. Things have definatly turned around!

Someone help me id these Zoas. They are growing like weeds, and morphing also. They look really cool!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15135415989/'>15135415989_752d37469e_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15135415989/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

My wrasse photo bombing. He's starting to get some nice color on him.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15135565768/'>15135565768_1cf889125d_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15135565768/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

And bought a new truck this weekend also.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15135418059/'>15135418059_86bb981e5b_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15135418059/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

Someone buy my light please!!! Between the new truck and all the changes to the tank, I'm poor :(

I'll make someone a great deal!

Might be fire and ice zoas or a morph of those. Very pretty.

That's what I figured. The skirts are getting super long, prob because of the high flow and they have pink centers now.

I agree with Kat on the Fire & Ice. Mine looked the exact same as yours and did the same morph yours are doing.

Truck looks nice though man,congrats.

I agree with Kat on the Fire & Ice. Mine looked the exact same as yours and did the same morph yours are doing.

Truck looks nice though man,congrats.

Thanks man. It was time to get a new truck for work.

great pics even tho it was bombed. nice truck just one problem...........its to clean. lol

When u make cars look good for a living, you gotta show up with something clean!...lol...don't worry, the last 2 days of Florida weather have the truck looking nice and dirty.

Hahhaa very true. This week is supposed to be nasty.

Oh btw,when I was in TS this weekend.. I ALLLLMOST snagged a piece of Orange Passion... Jesus that piece is sexy :o

Hahhaa very true. This week is supposed to be nasty.

Oh btw,when I was in TS this weekend.. I ALLLLMOST snagged a piece of Orange Passion... Jesus that piece is sexy :o

Yes it is. Mine looks like crap, but has made a great recovery in the last 4-5 days. It looks much better and the PE is getting good again.

Teaser.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15334581812/'>15334581812_80d6138dfc_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/15334581812/'>image by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

awww yeah!

Been running it for about a week. Still acclimating, but things are looking good! I really miss the blue led pop though! :(

Already talking to Dave to get some pucks in.

dope

Thanks bro

You can get your temporary fix with a stunner strip or a marineland hidden accent light.

Yea I might look into that. I was thinking about a reefbrite till I get the stuff from Dave, but haven't found one cheap.

Doesn't ever hurt to go back to what you know best. If halides didn't create so much heat,I'd go back to them.

Your not kidding. I would go back to halides/t5 in a minute.

lilmatty5dimes

oh man why did you pass on the orange passion? what was the price tag on that? i've got a cadlight 12g tank i got for free and took out the back wall i'm planning on doing a mh/t5 fixture on. i've never had one but see to many pics of tank that did and want to give it a shot. now its time to get the bulb combination down. lol

Archived