inTank Media Baskets

My 70g Cadlights Artisan, Radion Powered SPS Reef!

Alex B

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright so I have been ignoring the tank the last week or so while it cycles. I'm going to get a clean up crew ordered today. John is the man and I'm sure they will be here quick. Anyone have any info or experience with the carberryi anthias I'm looking into? Really want to get my stock list ironed out.

So not tank related but these are the reason the tank has been ignored. Been building these!

IMAG0441.jpg

This is the current condition of my baby! Now that this is all apart and stuff is sent to theachine shop, I can focus on the tank.

20130429_142805_zps3febfe63.jpg

20130521_190854_zpsa2125144.jpg

Need to stop so many projects at once!

SO close. Teasers coming shortly.

-Dave

Ohhhh great...lol..now I won't sleep tonight!!! Can't wait Dave!? ? ?

Sweet baby Jesus those BBS's are pure sex dood !!

Thank you man! I have to many expensive hobbies. Reef tanks, cars, and a extreme case of wheel hoarding. I am a wheel whore to the max. Like a girl with shoes.

Thank you man! I have to many expensive hobbies. Reef tanks, cars, and a extreme case of wheel hoarding. I am a wheel whore to the max. Like a girl with shoes.

If you can afford it,there's nothing wrong with it man. Especially BBS's,I know personally they aren't cheap lol I used to source wheels for all my car guys when I loved up north and I had a buddy dump 2k+ on a pair of rebuilt/widened with custom offset RRS's. Talk about expensive lol.

If you can afford it,there's nothing wrong with it man. Especially BBS's,I know personally they aren't cheap lol I used to source wheels for all my car guys when I loved up north and I had a buddy dump 2k+ on a pair of rebuilt/widened with custom offset RRS's. Talk about expensive lol.

Expensive they are. Crazy how they have held, and gone up in value. I wish I had only 2 grand in these things. I wanted slant lips which are rare and hard to find. Then I got the gold plated bolts and hex nuts. Then design line caps straight from Germany. The cheapest part where the wheels. I spent $900 on the wheels. Pretty sad because all I used was the barrel, and wheel center. Everything else is new or custom. My wife tells me I'm crazy ?

Nice tank and VW, I have a 96 GTi VR. What are you having done to the motor?

Jason

Awesome! I have a real soft spot for mk3's. I could afford a much nicer and newer toy, but I love these things. The car is going big turbo. New pistons and rods. Thats the main reason the motor is out. After that new tubo and intercooler setup. I am hoping for mid 500 HP. I am also doing a full engine bay shave and wire tuck.

It really is a expensive wheel,but like you said they are like bmw's they hold and maintain such a high value. What size turbo ? 500hp in a car like that will BOOGIE !!! Have you looked into a 1.8t swap ? A bit pricey built semi built they yield gobs of power on the top and bottom end. My buddy had one swap with a 1.8t and a 66/68mm turbo,huge injectors,cams,rods & pistons,custom intake mani and a nice tune and put down I believe it was around 650 on mild boost.

I

It really is a expensive wheel,but like you said they are like bmw's they hold and maintain such a high value. What size turbo ? 500hp in a car like that will BOOGIE !!! Have you looked into a 1.8t swap ? A bit pricey built semi built they yield gobs of power on the top and bottom end. My buddy had one swap with a 1.8t and a 66/68mm turbo,huge injectors,cams,rods & pistons,custom intake mani and a nice tune and put down I believe it was around 650 on mild boost.

I had another mk3 with a 1.8t swap. 650 is GOOD power for 1.8t. Honestly they break a lot. Ive owned a lot of 1.8t's and they are not the most reliable engine. That being said 1.8t neva looosseee...lol

Vr's make stupid power, and they are tough. Damn near bullet proof. When i say mid 500 that will be a conservative tune. It will be capable of much more. Car should have no problem getting into the 600's. Car is prob also going to run e85 mostly.

1.8T mk3 is fun idea, but there is absolutely no vw motor that sounds as sexy as a vr6 especially if it is turbo.

Awesome! I have a real soft spot for mk3's. I could afford a much nicer and newer toy, but I love these things. The car is going big turbo. New pistons and rods. Thats the main reason the motor is out. After that new tubo and intercooler setup. I am hoping for mid 500 HP. I am also doing a full engine bay shave and wire tuck.

I know what you are saying about having a soft spot for the mk3 chasis, i have no interest in anything newer than them. I cannot imagine ever selling this car.

Jason

:wub:

that is all

Thank you!....man my wheels get more love then my tank...lol..

I keep checking every 10 min to see if pics of the light are up. Going to play with skimmer again now. After a week these micro bubbles can't be normal.

frankdontsurf

I had an MK2 till last year. Smashed into a truck and spent 32 days in ICU. Lol, not the safest but nothing like vintage diesel dub.

This tank looks great. Really great.

I had an MK2 till last year. Smashed into a truck and spent 32 days in ICU. Lol, not the safest but nothing like vintage diesel dub.

This tank looks great. Really great.

Ouch...sorry to hear that bro. I've had a couple mk2's as well. I love em. Never had a diesel though. Always wanted one. 32 days in icu doesn't sound like fun.

Patience

I'm in no hurry. I just want some feedback. This is my first time running zeovit. Its made it a little harder to gauge where the cycle is at. Just wondering if I need to make any adjustments.

Really loving the scape. Can't wait to see it grown in.

Thanks!

Go to Home Depot and buy a sheet of light diffuser from the lighting section, as well as a bag of zip ties. It should cost you around $14. Cut the light diffuser to size and zip tie it together to make a little stand. It is cheap, sturdy, and is reef safe.

And can make free frag racks out of the leftovers.

So I just tested with some salifert kits and same results. Don't know if to be excited or concerned.

If you follow the Zeovit 14 day startup, it's hard to go wrong.

Honestly, if this is not your first reef tank, its pretty pointless to be doing all that testing anyway.

Your eyes are better test kits.

1) If Growing crap algae, ammonia is gone. Water change.

2) Growing crap algae, you need to clean it right. Water change.

3) That's why its called a clean up crew, cleans up crap algae. Water change

4) Crap algae is all the stuff growing that you dont want, slime, cyano, diatoms, dinos, powder brown, green hair, whatever. Water change

5) Your CUC eats, and poops, feeding your bacteria, they eat poop. Water change.

6) If most of them live 2 weeks to a month, it's time for your $3 tester fish. Water change.

7) If they live 2 weeks to a month time for your tester $10 frags. Water change.

8) If they live 2 weeks to a month, you're ready to start stocking what you really want. Water Change.

Obviously, this works better with primo live rock, but that's too hard to find these days.

It still works with bottled bacteria and dead rock, just takes little longer. If anything dies, it becomes part of the cycle. Noble sacrifice to the Nitrogen Gods.

There you are, done with starting a good nitro cycle, without a single drop of titration.

If you follow the Zeovit 14 day startup, it's hard to go wrong.

Honestly, if this is not your first reef tank, its pretty pointless to be doing all that testing anyway.

Your eyes are better test kits.

1) If Growing crap algae, ammonia is gone. Water change.

2) Growing crap algae, you need to clean it right. Water change.

3) That's why its called a clean up crew, cleans up crap algae. Water change

4) Crap algae is all the stuff growing that you dont want, slime, cyano, diatoms, dinos, powder brown, green hair, whatever. Water change

5) Your CUC eats, and poops, feeding your bacteria, they eat poop. Water change.

6) If most of them live 2 weeks to a month, it's time for your $3 tester fish. Water change.

7) If they live 2 weeks to a month time for your tester $10 frags. Water change.

8) If they live 2 weeks to a month, you're ready to start stocking what you really want. Water Change.

Obviously, this works better with primo live rock, but that's too hard to find these days.

It still works with bottled bacteria and dead rock, just takes little longer. If anything dies, it becomes part of the cycle. Noble sacrifice to the Nitrogen Gods.

There you are, done with starting a good nitro cycle, without a single drop of titration.

Thanks for the input. It's not my first tank, and yes your eyes are always your best test kit. Problem here is I don't have much to go on. Started with dry rock, and seeded with a couple pounds of live. Nothing primo, but did have some nice sponges and other life. Got nice pod explosion a couple days in but after that nothing. No diatoms, no nothing. At this point I should be seeing something in my opinion. I haven't seen anything. I'm going to throw my cuc in this week, and see what happens. At this point the tank is looking great so only time will tell.

Sick build Alex! ** Following this thread!**

Thanks!

TheKleinReef

Flickr!

upload

click the "share this photo" button.

click the pin looking button

change the size of how big you want the photo to appear.

copy link in the box.

paste.

i saw a post on kat's that was wayyyyyy too involved, and i think it does the same thing.

tank is coming along nicely, can't wait for more!

Archived