ReefCleaners.org

My 70g Cadlights Artisan, Radion Powered SPS Reef!

Alex B

Tanks looking awesome man,today's starts a new year. Hopefully you can get that horrid shit under control.

I really need to get another frag of RP so bad.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Does your rabbit eat bryopsis?? I have yet to see a fish REALLY go after it. I think my outbreak is too far gone. My tank is covered! I took a really long time to get at it. I kept on hoping it wouldn't take over.

They'll eat anything that is algae-like, doesn't matter what it is or even if it's noxious or calcareous. Kat has sent me several frags of with bryopsis and it immediately went to town on it. I would also consider picking up a molly or six, they are almost like rabbitfish in that they'll eat any kind of algae (though I have not seen it eat bubble algae, I would not put it past it lol).

• 2 weeks later...

Happy to report the bryopsis nightmare is almost over. I haven't been on the forums much, but figured this could be beneficial to everyone!

I started my tech-m treatment dosig about 100ml daily. I did this for about 5 days. My mg was rising kinda slow, but I started to notice a couple small patches of clear bryopsis. The bryopsis was so bad at this point, it was smothering corals and covered literally every inch of rock. I decided to go big or go home. The clear patches of bryopsis was a clear indicator the treatment was working, but I was going to need a lot more tech-m to get it done. I went ahead and dosed 500ml of tech between 2 days. Fast forward to today and almost every single strand of bryopsis is gone. I have a couple corals that look a little pissed off, but it was a sacrifice I was willing to make. Hopefully I don't loose anything. I'm going to do a water change today and refresh my gfo.

Tech-m treatments def work, i just think some people don't use enough. My mag was barely over 1500 and it killed every last bit.

. The clear patches of bryopsis was a clear indicator the treatment was working,

lol, literally.

Glad its working out for you. Anything else affected when you started raising it? I heard its copper in it that causes the dieoff of algae.

jedimasterben

lol, literally.

Glad its working out for you. Anything else affected when you started raising it? I heard its copper in it that causes the dieoff of algae.

Nope, algae needs copper (as does every other living thing).

lol, literally.

Lol...glad someone caught it. I know for a fact it's not copper. However, from what I hear, it is some type of heavy metal.

Nope, algae needs copper (as does every other living thing).

I wish we could find out what it is. I know Tech-m is not pharmaceutical grade mg so it's some type of impurity. Most people, including Randy, think it's some type of heavy metal. I know it's not copper, if it was people would be losing inverts left and right.

You sure on the copper, this is from the university of florida aquatic plant management website stuff

Copper

Copper is a fast-acting, broad-spectrum, contact herbicide that kills a wide range of aquatic plants and algae. Although copper is a micro-nutrient required by living plants and animals in small amounts, too much copper kills plants by interfering with plant enzymes, enzyme co-factors, and plant metabolism in general.

Copper has long been used in natural and industrial waters for algae control, often applied directly to water as blue copper sulfate crystals. Today in Florida however, "chelated copper" is most often used for aquatic plant and algae management. "chelate" is a chemistry term meaning combining a metal ion, in this case, copper, with an organic molecule, triethanolamine or ethylenediamine. Chelated liquid copper products reportedly remain in solution longer than copper salts (when applied to hard water). Copper that is in solution (suspended in the water) for a longer time has greater effect on the aquatic plants and algae. Several different brands of copper are available for aquatic plant and algae control in Florida; however, the chemistry and mode of action of each is similar.

Because copper is an element, it will accumulate in the sediments regardless of its bioavailability. The FWC only permits the use of copper herbicides in waters when no alternative management options are available. Most notably, FWC authorizes the use of copper herbicides to control aquatic plants near potable water intakes where use of other herbicide compounds may be restricted. There are no drinking water restrictions for copper herbicides when applied at label rates. Copper is toxic to non-target organisms, particularly in soft waters. Copper is considered highly toxic to mollusks and fish at relatively low doses. Levels of 1-5 ppm are toxic to fish, so copper is usually applied at concentrations 1 ppm or less. Copper chelates are broken down by hydrolysis and rapidly decline to ambient concentrations with a half-life reported from 2-8 days depending on conditions.

found here: http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/manage/control-methods/details-about-the-aquatic-herbicides-used-in-florida

jedimasterben

You sure on the copper, this is from the university of florida aquatic plant management website stuff

found here: http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/manage/control-methods/details-about-the-aquatic-herbicides-used-in-florida

Yep. If it was, then people would have worse problems on their hands than corals being a bit pissy, the copper levels it would take to harm the bryopsis would be much higher than corals and inverts could tolerate.

What someone needs to do is get Triton to test two water samples, one with freshly made saltwater and the other with magnesium elevated greatly using Tech M.

Yep. If it was, then people would have worse problems on their hands than corals being a bit pissy, the copper levels it would take to harm the bryopsis would be much higher than corals and inverts could tolerate.

What someone needs to do is get Triton to test two water samples, one with freshly made saltwater and the other with magnesium elevated greatly using Tech M.

good idea lol, someone said since it isn't pharm grade ingredients regular epsom salt worked for them... a 3 way experiment would be fun.

Ran over to work and grabbed a reactor off the shelf, also grabbed a bigger return pump. Stopped by lowes and grabbed some plumbing stuff. 15 minutes later I have this. I was tired of running a separate pump for my reactor. Now I have 1 for carbon and 1 for gfo.

Got home, mocked everything up. Grabbed my pvc glue from the garage only to realize it somehow dried up in the last couple weeks. Now I gotta go back out to the store. :(

16248642545_4ef57b49a7_o.jpg

Untitled by touchofklasse, on Flickr

Congrats on beating bryopsis. Great looking manifold.

Thanks man. It's working great. I used a mag 12 I had at work, but I think I need a little more pump. It was a older mag12 so the pump might be tired.

Thanks everyone!! I'm excited to get these over the tank. The color in my little tank is amazing. I'm hoping these will be even nicer! Also nice to have multi channel control.

Archived