SaltCritters.com

Pesbra's 60G Reef

Pesbra

So I started with reef tanks a year ago. I took things slow and experimented a bit to get the hang of things while buying the equipment for my dream tank. I used to keep discus in a freshwater setup several years ago. After a long leave of absence I started thinking about aquariums again in mid 2012 after a chat with a friend and after a while I stumbled withe Meetrocat's and MedRed's tanks. They just blew me away.

I always wanted a saltwater tank and studied Martin Moe's and Albert Thiel's books many years ago when I was keeping freshwater aquariums around 20 years ago, but just couldn't afford a proper saltwater setup.

So now, determined to do my dream tank, even after all those years I felt I had a good grasp on the basic theory, did more research for 4 months bought every book, read every forum, went to every shop and asked questions to the point of utter annoyance of anybody that would lend an ear.

I wasn't terribly successful last year I must say, and it is very clear to me how much I yet need to learn through practical experience. No amount of reading and research will ever be enough.

At the beginning of december of last year I tore down my tank as I moved to Mexico City and now I have put my tank back into service. It's been almost a month with the tank cycling and so yesterday I introduced my first two inhabitants an Lyretail Anthias (I think) and a Canary Blenny I'm yet debating what corals I want to aim for (LPS, SPS, mixed) but I certainly have MedRed's tank in mind though I'm light years behind him in skills.

Anyway attached is the first picture,and I'm very pleased with how it looks. For the aquascaping I did a rock wall against the back pane and used some dead corals as you can see. You should note that I DO NOT, repeat, I DO NOT, condone collecting dead corals as ornaments for the living room, but these are exactly what they were. I inherited these from my grandfather, who passed away many years ago. The coral skeletons were stored in boxes for many years and after a house cleanup of a close relative they surfaced. Knowing my addiction with corals they were offered to me and I decided to put them to good use.

I know the dead corals wont stay pristine for long as the tank grows with life, but I think it should work fine nonetheless.

I hope you guys will appreciate my tank and please comment on any mistakes you think I am making. Your help will be invaluable to have a successful tank I'm sure.

My Setup (I did go overboard)

2'x2'x2' 60 gallon cube tank

Vertex Omega 150 skimmer

Vertex Vectra head cleaner

1Vertex Rxu 1.5 reactor

1Vertex Rxu 2.0 reactor

3 Ecotech Marine Vortex MP10

Ecotech Marine Radion Pro fixture

2 peristaltic pumps for automated water changes and skimmer draining.

Vertex Libra Doser and Libra containers

Reef Octopus Nielsen reactor

Netune Systems Apex controller with PH, ORP, Conductivity, Dissolved Oxygen and 3 temp probes.

Seneye Reef Monitor

post-78219-0-69394600-1393906633_thumb.jpg

Archived