Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ionic copper vs chelated?

Jrodinnola

So despite my intuition telling me not to buy a potters angel (it was eating pellets and only $40!), I decided that I couldn't pass this little beauty up... And if its not obvious by the the title of this post what happened, he's now covered in ich. Anyway, I stopped and grabbed some copper from a Lfs in Atlanta while I was on vacation, but I've only had to treat with copper once before, and didnt realize chelated copper and ionic copper were different... I picked up a bottle of bright well aquatics cuprion ionic copper. Does anyone have experience with this medication or know about ionic copper in general? From what I've read, ionic copper is hard to test for and maintain levels. So should I give this a shot? or Should I just 86 the solution (for a small financial loss, which is why Im asking) and go for chelated?

-jeremy

chelated and free forms of ions exist in equilibrium. EDTA binds to 2+ ions (like copper), then unbinds, then binds again. the actual Cu2+ is the same. in the bound/chelated form, it is far less active, and basically does nothing. so it is less harmful (while in that form) to all organism (the pathogen included). so the dose for chelated should be higher than the dose for unchelated.

So maybe follow a .25-.35ppm dose of the ionic copper? It sounds like ionic is more effective, but harder to use.

Archived