Top Shelf Aquatics

Isla D'Zoa

Paandemonium

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you looking for fish wise?

Some coloriful fish basically. I still have the old tank up which will be turned into a LPS play ground and the fish that are in there will remain.

Maybe some assessors, wrassies, etc..

Paandemonium

I've always been partial to fairy wrasse.

I love the look of some designer clowns maybe?

Could I give them my mom's tax ID #? :ninja:

You should lmk if this works lol

Could I give them my mom's tax ID #? :ninja:

Possibly. However, buying wholesale really wouldn't benefit the average hobbyist. They have a minimum that you have to spend (the lowest is $500 usually), and it's not wysiwyg. Well, it is sometimes, but you can't just cherry pick. In order to get one really nice piece you have to by multiple other items that are lower quality. For example, when I bought my CAA colony I paid a premium for it and I had to buy 15 other zoa colonies to get it.

TBH, buying wholesale doesn't even benefit those that want to sell coral on a small scale. You have to buy too much average to sub-par coral to get the nice stuff. That's where the smaller operations would run into problems when buying wholesale. You will run out of space in the tank(s) fast. On a smaller scale it would be much more profitable to find other hobbyist' getting out of the hobby and selling off colonies at a low rate. Then growing and fragging nothing but higher end stuff.

Just to give you an idea, I started with a 7'x3'x1' tank that I filled up within a couple of months. I've since added another tank that is even bigger and I'm already almost out of space again, in both tanks. Fortunately I have the space to squeeze in one more large tank that will probably end up being a reality far sooner than I expected.

Paandemonium

Possibly. However, buying wholesale really wouldn't benefit the average hobbyist. They have a minimum that you have to spend (the lowest is $500 usually), and it's not wysiwyg. Well, it is sometimes, but you can't just cherry pick. In order to get one really nice piece you have to by multiple other items that are lower quality. For example, when I bought my CAA colony I paid a premium for it and I had to buy 15 other zoa colonies to get it.

TBH, buying wholesale doesn't even benefit those that want to sell coral on a small scale. You have to buy too much average to sub-par coral to get the nice stuff. That's where the smaller operations would run into problems when buying wholesale. You will run out of space in the tank(s) fast. On a smaller scale it would be much more profitable to find other hobbyist' getting out of the hobby and selling off colonies at a low rate. Then growing and fragging nothing but higher end stuff.

Just to give you an idea, I started with a 7'x3'x1' tank that I filled up within a couple of months. I've since added another tank that is even bigger and I'm already almost out of space again, in both tanks. Fortunately I have the space to squeeze in one more large tank that will probably end up being a reality far sooner than I expected.

Maybe my guy is just super cool cause when I go with one of the guys(to stake out the place) he totes let us cherry pick + no minimum
Paandemonium

Then why are you even worried about getting a business license if you've already got a wholesale hook up?

Because everyone came out of the woodwork when I said I applied for mine lol, probably gonna cancel my application lol

New CUC has been purchased :)

Paandemonium

Why cacel it? May as well be legit just in case your hook up changes his mind. You're basically at his mercy at this point.

i have multiple :x as of yesterday

All a very big part of why some of the really nice stuff is "over priced". Its not that it is really over priced, I mean sure technically you paid x dollars for it and y dollars for all the bs you had to buy to get it is separate from that bad ass piece, but it really is part of the cost of getting the nice piece. ;) I have seen $2500-3000 wholesale orders from a couple different places with a couple nice pieces and a bunch of bs. You aren't gonna sell the bs for $30 a frag so you make it up on the hot shit, and basically give the bs away or sit on it taking up precious real estate, electricity, salt for water changes, etc. etc. etc.....

Yes as hobbyists we would love to see every hot piece start out at $10-20 a frag, but the harsh reality is that if this happened alot of places would go under real quick.... or our tanks would be brown and green and not just from bad water quality ;)

All a very big part of why some of the really nice stuff is "over priced". Its not that it is really over priced, I mean sure technically you paid x dollars for it and y dollars for all the bs you had to buy to get it is separate from that bad ass piece, but it really is part of the cost of getting the nice piece. ;) I have seen $2500-3000 wholesale orders from a couple different places with a couple nice pieces and a bunch of bs. You aren't gonna sell the bs for $30 a frag so you make it up on the hot shit, and basically give the bs away or sit on it taking up precious real estate, electricity, salt for water changes, etc. etc. etc.....

Yes as hobbyists we would love to see every hot piece start out at $10-20 a frag, but the harsh reality is that if this happened alot of places would go under real quick.... or our tanks would be brown and green and not just from bad water quality ;)

This, exactly.

I'm not trying to suck the wind out of your sails, Claya, but if I were you I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith on being able to consistently cherry pick from "your guy" on a regular basis. What he is doing is pretty standard with any wholesaler, somewhat. Many will sell you nothing but high quality coral initially. Then after your first order or two the quality starts to go down, and reality sets in. This is nothing new.

Whomever it is that you're buying from most certainly receives lower quality coral. Distributors ship in mass quantity, and they absolutely have a minimum order as well (typically 200 pieces or more (I've already looked into buying direct :)), and it's not all primo stuff that comes in . In turn, those lower quality corals get passed on to us as retailers, and hopefully we can then sell them somehow, some way.

It makes absolutely no sense for "your guy" to sell you the premium pieces and then absorb the lower quality corals himself. While this may be the case now, if and when you start buying on a larger scale I'd bet the farm that your current arrangement doesn't stick. If it does, buy as much as you can while you can because he won't be in business long, for the reasons Chris stated above.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative at all and I wish you the best of luck. I'm just trying to give you a peek at how it really is :).

Paandemonium

This, exactly.

I'm not trying to suck the wind out of your sails, Claya, but if I were you I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith on being able to consistently cherry pick from "your guy" on a regular basis. What he is doing is pretty standard with any wholesaler, somewhat. Many will sell you nothing but high quality coral initially. Then after your first order or two the quality starts to go down, and reality sets in. This is nothing new.

Whomever it is that you're buying from most certainly receives lower quality coral. Distributors ship in mass quantity, and they absolutely have a minimum order as well (typically 200 pieces or more (I've already looked into buying direct :)), and it's not all primo stuff that comes in . In turn, those lower quality corals get passed on to us as retailers, and hopefully we can then sell them somehow, some way.

It makes absolutely no sense for "your guy" to sell you the premium pieces and then absorb the lower quality corals himself. While this may be the case now, if and when you start buying on a larger scale I'd bet the farm that your current arrangement doesn't stick. If it does, buy as much as you can while you can because he won't be in business long, for the reasons Chris stated above.

Again, I'm not trying to be negative at all and I wish you the best of luck. I'm just trying to give you a peek at how it really is :).

I completely agree with this however I dont plan selling for a living just for extra cash :)

I just had like 30 wings and 2 pitchers, where's the tank?

watching a documentary on bodybuilding lol Need to throw out that stupid painting

13944252444_a20a770cd1.jpg

frankdontsurf

I completely agree with this however I dont plan selling for a living just for extra cash :)

watching a documentary on bodybuilding lol Need to throw out that stupid painting

Smells like teen spirit.

whi

Which one is that? Bigger faster stronger, Pumping Iron, Generation Iron?

Paandemonium

Favorite 5 websites besides nano, subject matter irrelevant?

Projectfreetv.com(because I will NEVER pay for shows)

Youtube, mostly to watch documentaries, I find them really entertaining

Instagram(if that counts)

Tumblr because boobz

And finally the cooking channel because I love watching Gordon Ramsey lol

Sorry for late response, I wasn't subscribed, derp. The blue+ are very blue, yes.

Very blue is very good :)

What was the documentsry called? You planning on becoming a bodybuilder :)?
Paandemonium

What was the documentsry called? You planning on becoming a bodybuilder :)?

Something along the lines of "the history of body building" and no, I really don't like the idea of being super veiny but I did find it interesting how the big big guys are all about the steroid use and it's really just out there for everyone to know. They even figured out how to beat the tests which I find brilliant

Iron chicks = no bueno

I want to do the spartan race :)

Saw Morgan do it and I got a little jelly

jedimasterben

Something along the lines of "the history of body building"

You can look through your Youtube history to find the exact name :)

Archived