Pod Your Reef

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

Ya, I don't get the reason for the deconstruction. Do you have a serious pest in the tank? Are you changing a lot of equipment?

Setting up a QT tank is probably going to put some serious strain on already irritated and new corals that are trying to adjust to your system only to be shocked again. Unless you were fearful of losing everything I would have tried to fight the battle in the tank and take a few losses as a victory.

• Like 1
Just claimed this baby, pricey but can't pass up such a rare and amazing show piece, never seen torch like that before :)

If and when you decide to frag that beauty down the line, I will sell my soul for a piece ;-) Just sayin......

• Like 1

wait, you are QTing your corals for 6-8 weeks for ich?? Or did I not read that right...

Ya, I don't get the reason for the deconstruction. Do you have a serious pest in the tank? Are you changing a lot of equipment?

Setting up a QT tank is probably going to put some serious strain on already irritated and new corals that are trying to adjust to your system only to be shocked again. Unless you were fearful of losing everything I would have tried to fight the battle in the tank and take a few losses as a victory.

Nothing serious guys. I'm just switching out the substrate, I can't stand the fine sand anymore, it gets all over my rock/powerhead/filter/on corals, everywhere even the slightest touch. I did a custom sand mix of special grade sea flor and a sprain of black sand, looks quite nice and no more blowing everywhere when I need to vacuum sand bed. So anyone starting a new nano reef, go with coarse sand, you'll be glad you did.

crazy you broke everything down????????

Yes I am...haha

If and when you decide to frag that beauty down the line, I will sell my soul for a piece ;-) Just sayin......

Sure don't refuse when I come to claim it! j/k...sounds like a demon... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

My version of DIY refugium media box for Aquaclear 70 is completed. I don't have exact dimensions, kinda eyeing and measure on the fly while turning off the filter and trying each piece in the filter (literally) to match original media basket for perfect fit. This is based on In-Tank media basket but I made a few upgrade modifications: the overflow slots to prevent snails intrusion and also raise water level up by 1in to allow for more chaeto submersion, made filter floss chamber is narrower 1in wide (i don't need wider), still able to fits small heater like Cobalt Neo-Therm in there if I want, again this allow more space for chaeto. This build took me over 20 hours to complete working several hours over 5 days period. The tool i used are basic DIY tools: drill, dremel, hobby knife, mini filers, ruler, angle ruler. I will be adding DIY LED module for the chaeto. I really like the way the turns out!

SWEET....

Make me one!!!! hahahahaha

SWEET....

Make me one!!!! hahahahaha

Thanks...well that's 20 hours of work, you sure you can afford it? haha...j/k...still need to build a canopy and back cover and still haven't even got around to do it. Planning on upgrading to a new LED fixture soon as well, lots of plan, great things coming :)

• 2 weeks later...

went to Petco today and came home with $20 20g long tank...frags tank time... :rolleyes: and my new buddy Purple Firefish for $25 after 25% sale and coupon. Good Friday for me :)

Look what just came in...FRAGALICIOUS!!!

Starting a 20g long frags tank so these will be transferred over soon, working on a custom stand and tank's back ground right now.

Excellent customer service and packaging from PEA. Highly recommend them for all your corals needs, especially the BTFS and add a nugget cheap frag for every $100.

15536467582_53cbaa7521_z.jpg

15535640745_3371d913ab_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Great looking tank! Tanking notes. Looking forward to seeing it set up again

Thanks...tank is still running great, I've never took it down, only switched out fine sand for special grade reef sand.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks...tank is still running great, I've never took it down, only switched out fine sand for special grade reef sand.

Woould like to see with the new sand... thinking about doing something similar....

And no I don't think I could afford your AC 70 skills... haha

• Like 1

where are the pics of the PEA order?? =P

Sorry I never got around to that, most of them are in the frags tank since im making spaces for a rescape, ordered 10lbs of reef saver rocks from BRS. I was not happy with the way my tank look and rocks are just taking up too much estate of corals.

Woould like to see with the new sand... thinking about doing something similar....

And no I don't think I could afford your AC 70 skills... haha

I'll post a FTS as soon as I'm done rescaping, still waiting for new rocks to come in, should be here Monday. It's a mess right now you don't want to see it...lol

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished reading through your thread. What an awesome tank. Your DIY skills are top notch. Wish I could do the same. Hope to see the update of your tank soon!

• Like 1

What did you do to get that super clean black background? I didn't see it mentioned, did you paint it?

Auto black adhesive vinyl. It won't chip or peel off as easily as paint and I can get perfect result every time, def less messy than paint. I did a frag tank the same way to cover both background and bottom.

There are a lot of changes to the tanks in the past few months with lots of new corals and two more new fishes addition (Purple Fire Fish and Pygmy Angelfish). Sorry there wasn't any new updates for a while because I was very busy doing a total rescape. I also took my time to glue most of the corals on the rocks permanently. I don't know how many time I have to remove and reglued some corals that just either don't look good or didn't like where I placed them. It was a major PITA thinking about the scape and corals placement but all in all I think I finally nailed it.

Here is my latest FTS and few close up shots of my tank.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!

16089936532_0bf4d081b8_b.jpg

16089973932_91a2d2b68c_c.jpg

16088769121_2011684d18_c.jpg

15904937897_bb7be302b5_c.jpg

• Like 5
Its Current USA Orbit Marine LED 36-48"

I'm glad I came across your tank, very cool! I'm am doing the same tank myself and just ordered the Current USA 36-48. I'm glad to see it fits cuz I was stuck between the 24-36 and the 36-48 but looks like I made a good gut feeling choice.

• Like 1