Innovative Marine Aquariums

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

Legendary Corals

My version of DIY refugium media box for Aquaclear 70 is completed. I don't have exact dimensions, kinda eyeing and measure on the fly while turning off the filter and trying each piece in the filter (literally) to match original media basket for perfect fit. This is based on In-Tank media basket but I made a few upgrade modifications: the overflow slots to prevent snails intrusion and also raise water level up by 1in to allow for more chaeto submersion, made filter floss chamber is narrower 1in wide (i don't need wider), still able to fits small heater like Cobalt Neo-Therm in there if I want, again this allow more space for chaeto. This build took me over 20 hours to complete working several hours over 5 days period. The tool i used are basic DIY tools: drill, dremel, hobby knife, mini filers, ruler, angle ruler. I will be adding DIY LED module for the chaeto. I really like the way the turns out!

Omg. That's so slick...

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the compliment, it was hard work put into that basket, had back pain right after...lol. I was thinking of making a larger 4-5gal DIY HOB refugium as I progress as I feel the AC70 won't be enough even though it has kept my water perfect for now with Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 but when the tank is full of corals and crowded CUC, more water volume is always better as I understand.

For now, just looking to stock up more easy soft/lps corals, specifically looking for some Pulsing Xenia as im amazed by its pulsing action like many other reefers. Anyone know anywhere that sell them in Texas? prefer locally so shipping won't be dramatic.

CUC came in today from reefcleaners.org, I wasn't expecting to get so many extra nails :), crap! where do I put them if they're all made it? I made a quick DIY frag rack from scrap egg crate as im getting ready for more frags to come in :)

post-83775-0-93373700-1402725209_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-56577400-1402725211_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-96979200-1402725292_thumb.jpg

Just got a new Jebao WP-10 wavemaker, i heard good things about this pump so I want to give this a try as an upgrade to the two Koralia nano which i feel a bit weak. This is pretty much the same size but suppose to be much more powerful and it's also a wave-maker, how cool is that! I'll post back after i try it out.

Also I found this hitch hiker critter in my lot of snails, is this something I want to keep or discard?

post-83775-0-57102600-1403059377_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-77235000-1403059606_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's refreshing to see DIY stuff on here, especially when it's done as skillfully as this. Great work MrReefer!

As for the snail, if it has a shell that's particularly flat and that looks kindof like a fingernail, then it's most likely a Stomatella. You definitely want to keep those. The closeness and angle of the photograph makes it a little hard to tell if it's flat or not. Still though, it looks like a Stomatella to me.

Thanks Zer0 for the compliment, there are many great reefers here with great DIY project far bigger and better than mine :), those DIYs gave me the inspiration to do my own.

The snail isn't actually flat, its like small round pebble. I'll try to take pic on its side next time.

Just want show off my new corals from coralgardensaquaculture.com with a mini review. I received my pack of 5 Acans for $99 shipped on Saturday, June 14th. and couldn't be more happier, packaging was really well done and they're all arrived in healthy condition and opened up after an hour. Glenn was a very friendly guy and answered all my noobs questions before and after sales. This is my first time ordering live stock online and I was very skeptical at first but after talking with Glenn, i decided to go for it, glad I did! If you need corals, I will highly recommend them without a doubt.

post-83775-0-44806500-1403149600_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-32975500-1403149601_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-98509100-1403149601_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-71050100-1403149602_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-57688300-1403149603_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-30073600-1403149604_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick shot of my tank after 4 months. Everyone looks happy and healthy, can't wait to add corals and CUC after quarantined. The reason I have no CUC left except for 1 Astrea and 1 Nassarius snails is b/c 3 of my Astreas have been murdered by two bumblebee snails, and the one other Nassarius escaped the tank. I took them out the put them in the refugium for now.

Yes, the back looks ugly with my DIY skimmer, i don't like it at all even though its working real well. I'll soon be replacing the AC70 Refugium and DIY skimmer with a larger DIY HOB Sump/Refugium and put a AQUATICLIFE INTERNAL MINI PROTEIN SKIMMER 115 inside. More updates coming soon...

post-83775-0-53410900-1403149832_thumb.jpg

Just want show off my new corals from coralgardensaquaculture.com with a mini review. I received my pack of 5 Acans for $99 shipped on Saturday, June 14th. and couldn't be more happier, packaging was really well done and they're all arrived in healthy condition and opened up after an hour. Glenn was a very friendly guy and answered all my noobs questions before and after sales. This is my first time ordering live stock online and I was very skeptical at first but after talking with Glenn, i decided to go for it, glad I did! If you need corals, I will highly recommend them without a doubt.

Thanks! I appreciate the review!! I'm glad you like your frags, and your tank looks like it's off to a good start! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

• Like 2

Thanks! I appreciate the review!! I'm glad you like your frags, and your tank looks like it's off to a good start! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Thank you Glenn. Will do.

Good afternoon nano reefers! Starting a new DIY project which I have been dying to do for a while but been so busy with work. This is a 6 Gallon Nano POB (place on back) sump/filter/refugium. This will fit behind the tank (on the stand, not hang on back) with heater and skimmer inside, cheato, bag of seachem matrix filter media, floss filter pad, and bag of chemi-pure/carbon, i might have sandbed or miracle mud in there, not sure yet. This is my progress so far, one problem I came cross is the acrylic joint wasn't all perfect so im forced to reinforce with some #16 weld-on. More updates coming as I progress.

post-83775-0-31213300-1403201022_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-99320500-1403201022_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-59931900-1403201023_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, love all the DIY! What would you say is the easiest way to cut/work with acrylic? I've tried scoring and breaking but that never works, hack saws never give me a clean/straight cut. Also cutting out holes/slots and things like that?

• Like 1

Awesome, love all the DIY! What would you say is the easiest way to cut/work with acrylic? I've tried scoring and breaking but that never works, hack saws never give me a clean/straight cut. Also cutting out holes/slots and things like that?

Thanks. easiest way is with a table saw with 84T blade that is made for plastic, that will give you a straight clean cut. At time I used a dremel to cut but its a PITA and time consuming. I used dremel to cut out slots with a cutting bit, but it can be difficult to control in a straight line, there are other ways but required expensive investment in tools.

soooooooooo jealous of your tank. I LOVE the dimension.

Thank you, im jealous of yours...lol. I like your corals collection, need some help with that for the scape near the wavemaker.

Thanks. easiest way is with a table saw with 84T blade that is made for plastic, that will give you a straight clean cut. At time I used a dremel to cut but its a PITA and time consuming. I used dremel to cut out slots with a cutting bit, but it can be difficult to control in a straight line, there are other ways but required expensive investment in tools.

Thank you, im jealous of yours...lol. I like your corals collection, need some help with that for the scape near the wavemaker.

Which dremel cutting bit did you use? I was thinking I'd just drill the largest hole(s) I could with my hole saws after cutting out the pieces then sanding away till I get the shape I want with a dremel. I've done it before but of course it's messy, slow and not very accurate. Darn those 84T blades are expensive!

Which dremel cutting bit did you use? I was thinking I'd just drill the largest hole(s) I could with my hole saws after cutting out the pieces then sanding away till I get the shape I want with a dremel. I've done it before but of course it's messy, slow and not very accurate. Darn those 84T blades are expensive!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1-8-in-Shank-High-Speed-Multipurpose-Cutting-Bit-561/202263174

I bought mine with a guide base. With this bit, you first drill a hole then insert the dremel and start cutting it out the shape, your controlling is everything, if you move a bit you'll end up with a groove in the cut or worse, try getting it best as you could then go over with a mini filer to straighten the cut, it's a very time consuming task. I only used this method to cut slots, not straight cuts. Yes! those blades are worth it though, it saved me a lot of time.

MrNanoReef

Happy 4th of July everyone! Got a day off to finish up the Nano fuge and did flame polishing edge which turn out real nice. Leak test is next, fingers crossed!

post-83775-0-95323500-1404517602_thumb.jpg

post-83775-0-53196800-1404517603_thumb.jpg

• Like 5
MrNanoReef

I just realized my sump volume is actually 6.23 gallon according to the volume calculator with dimensions: 24x5x12 inches but since the water level will be about 1in below the top so it'll be approx. 6 gallon. The info has been updated.