Aqueon Heater

Glass lid

Magent cleaner

Live stuff-

Tanaids

Corals-

ORA Elkhorn Monitpora

Green Montipora

Red Montipora with yellow polyps I guess?

Purple or grape plating montipora

Red/orange branching montipora

Purple branching montipora

ORA Green Birdsnest

Sunset Stylo?

Duncan

Porites?

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

Assortment of Zoas

I do 100% water changes every week or two, some times three. Currently using three parts IO and one part Oceanic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCI0036_zps408d5de5.jpg

DSCI0037_zpsd764257f.jpg

Top down

DSCI0038_zps4f4c3764.jpg

Purple Digi- It just keep growing horizontally.

DSCI0040_zps4dc47f01.jpg

"Red" monti

DSCI0047_zps3bd45836.jpg

Stylo?

DSCI0041_zpsf9d6ec7a.jpg

Elkhorn- My favorite atm

DSCI0050_zpsc6cdfb93.jpg

DSCI0046_zps9d4346c3.jpg

DSCI0044_zpsef8259f7.jpg

DSCI0049_zpsd68e2555.jpg

Updates- I lowered my light down to eight inches exactly, hopefully that will color some of the brownish looking corals. I did have my light very high around 15 inches or higher. Thinking about getting two clown gobies eventually and upgrading to either cadlights 4g or 8g AIO or the new 5 gallon picO(depends on the price) when it comes out. I still need to get some IO to mix with the Oceanic, the corals hated the high calcuim in the Oceanic.

I just didn't need one. I had one before but I like the cleaner look of not having one.

Why did you opt for no HOB or anything like that?

If you go with 2 clown gobies, I'd go with an 8g AIO.

im looking to get the CC Par38k bulb..i saw you have a staples lamp..mind showing what one you have? also where do you get your corals from ?? they are great!! I have a problem where my LFSs don't have that great a selection of frags like what you got in your tank :<

DSCI0008_zps2b08b395.jpg

It's a clamp type fixture, attached to my stand. I got half of my corals from the LFS and the others from ebay(which I wouldn't recommend). Most of my corals were bought as either dying or super small frags. I'm frugal. Here's a great example, the LFS had a super small broken off tip of ORA Elkhorn so I went to the manager asked I could get it super cheap and I did. I do this a lot.

I would visit the sponser section here on NR. Check out Reef Gardner and Coral Gardens Aquaculture. I never worked with either of them but they seem like good choices to me.

Thanks for the compliments.

im looking to get the CC Par38k bulb..i saw you have a staples lamp..mind showing what one you have? also where do you get your corals from ?? they are great!! I have a problem where my LFSs don't have that great a selection of frags like what you got in your tank :<

awesome! thanks for the pic. yeah im the same way lol.im looking for small frags but my LFSs just dont have em...i want a small frags of hammer and bubble/torches as well and they dont have em lol.

Those are the hardest to find. If you have facebook search for a local reefing/saltwater group. I see cheap corals on facebook all day long.

awesome! thanks for the pic. yeah im the same way lol.im looking for small frags but my LFSs just dont have em...i want a small frags of hammer and bubble/torches as well and they dont have em lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Those are the hardest to find. If you have facebook search for a local reefing/saltwater group. I see cheap corals on facebook all day long.

I feel you. My LFS doesn't really list small frags. Prices are okay though, I got a good sized 2 head hammer frag for $25, and am probably gonna pay that for a frogspawn.

I always ask what they have that they can do for $5 though and they'll pull out a few small ones and let me pick from them. They even Glue them on rubble for me.

I feel you. My LFS doesn't really list small frags. Prices are okay though, I got a good sized 2 head hammer frag for $25, and am probably gonna pay that for a frogspawn.

I always ask what they have that they can do for $5 though and they'll pull out a few small ones and let me pick from them. They even Glue them on rubble for me.

That's cool. Frogspawn and the like are so hard to find here for under $30 a head. But there is always the classifieds.. Funny thing is ever since I found a good place on facebook to get corals Ive had no money. :P

That's cool. Frogspawn and the like are so hard to find here for under $30 a head. But there is always the classifieds.. Funny thing is ever since I found a good place on facebook to get corals Ive had no money. :P

Been wanting a torch for a while now, saw one today and asked for price... looked like ~5-8 heads for $70. I was like... ehhhh I'll try to find a 1-2 head frag.

I don't even want to look on facebook... lol. I'd do classfieds here but really would prefer to not deal with shipping(and the cost of it).

Usually you can find local online groups on facebook. Basically ive found two groups that included the whole south eastern part of Pennsylvania. People post used equipment, coral frags, fish and just share photos. But if you don't have a facebook that's a problem. I just use my wife's facebook since I don't have my own.

Been wanting a torch for a while now, saw one today and asked for price... looked like ~5-8 heads for $70. I was like... ehhhh I'll try to find a 1-2 head frag.

I don't even want to look on facebook... lol. I'd do classfieds here but really would prefer to not deal with shipping(and the cost of it).

Usually you can find local online groups on facebook. Basically ive found two groups that included the whole south eastern part of Pennsylvania. People post used equipment, coral frags, fish and just share photos. But if you don't have a facebook that's a problem. I just use my wife's facebook since I don't have my own.

Well I do have a facebook so that's no issue... Just afraid of spending all my cash on it lol. I really want a torch so I've been keeping an eye out at my LFS for a small one.

By the way, meant to ask earlier. How does your tank do with such large WC's of like 90% etc?

Ha i know what you mean. I see such awesome deals, $10-20 acans that look amazing.

As for you question... My tank does awesomely, I get huge growth spurts whenever I do a water change. Ill probably post pictures tomorrow, the elkhorn has grown a lot more branches. My purple digita keeps growing horizontally at a steady rate but my red monti puts out a few millimeters of growth every few days.

I finally got some Instant Ocean so now I am mixing it with Oceanic which should give me 450-460 calcium, 9-10alk and 1500 mag(estimates) I mix 2/3 IO and 1/3 Oc if I do a 3 gallon change. 3/4 IO and 1/4 OC if I do 4 gallon. The Oceanic calcium was way to high, every thing was so unhappy when I was just using that alone.

Well I do have a facebook so that's no issue... Just afraid of spending all my cash on it lol. I really want a torch so I've been keeping an eye out at my LFS for a small one.

By the way, meant to ask earlier. How does your tank do with such large WC's of like 90% etc?

new-b-reefer

Love your tank. Love the simplicity and cleanliness. I am also frugal with my coral purchase. Most all of mine were started with tiny cheap frag plugs and I grew them out and even moved some frags to my pico. My own aquaculturing I guess lol. Give away alot of frags to friends that are trying to get their tanks going and stocked.

Thanks you. I cleaned up the left side by gluing all the polyps to to main rock. Hopefully Ill be able to move all the little frags on the right side into my 37g soon. Some of them are small because i fragged my original corals a billion times when my big tank crashed so something would at least survive. I really started this tank just so I could have back up corals.

Love your tank. Love the simplicity and cleanliness. I am also frugal with my coral purchase. Most all of mine were started with tiny cheap frag plugs and I grew them out and even moved some frags to my pico. My own aquaculturing I guess lol. Give away alot of frags to friends that are trying to get their tanks going and stocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a 100% water change tomorrow so I'm going to take pictures before to show how much growth i get after a week or two.

I love mixing my salt to get what I find to be perfect or at least ideal parameters.

Calcium 447

Alk 10

Mag 1425

BattleAthletics

Doing a 100% water change tomorrow so I'm going to take pictures before to show how much growth i get after a week or two.

I love mixing my salt to get what I find to be perfect or at least ideal parameters.

Calcium 447

Alk 10

Mag 1425

What salt brand?

This is why you should clean your sand every water change.

I have no fish. I usually only feed the duncan and chalice one to two times a week(tiny amount of food). I clean the sand every time and do 90-100% water changes and I still get all the crap. Who wants this stuff in their tank!? I think this is the secret to long term picos.

DSCI0021_zps065a4b05.jpg

Here are today's coral pictures.

DSCI0005_zpsff0a0183.jpg

DSCI0010_zps95533cd3.jpg

DSCI0006_zpsa5f4a485.jpg

DSCI0013_zps0c6eacd2.jpg

FTS

DSCI0014_zpsb892e47b.jpg

Next week Ill put the pictures side by side so you guys can compare them and see the growth.

• 2 weeks later...

Elkhorn growth

DSCI0107_zpsb556319e.jpg

About 10 days of growth

Untitled_zpsee79f6d2.jpg

The softer side

DSCI0015_zps386ec77a.jpg

I thought the leds looked cool

DSCI0022_zpsf7ed9988.jpg

WP-10 POV

DSCI0024_zps4e3c055a.jpg

Archived