ReefCleaners.org

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

How's the chaeto look, healthy any dying areas underneath? Could you have introduced any unwanted algae when introducing the fresh chaeto? Or maybe when removing the fuge basket some trapped deterious made it into your tank. Have you had any fish die recently? Could have contributed to an algae bloom...?

Id use caution if you plan to add biopellets as it can strip your water quickly. Small small amounts at a time worked best for me. I started with 50ml and it bleached my milli over night. Im barely starting to get color back in it.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not jumping into that quite yet

I haven't any experience with biopellets. I had a few whips of hair algae appear right after the cycle and most of them have disappeared. I have cleaned the side glass once in about a month and there's hardly any algae. Not sure why but I'm ok with that.

I find this hobby can be extremely rewarding but also highly frustrating when there are these issues that don't respond to the usual remedies. As I was trying to simplify my maintenance, I aimed to go for mainly soft and LPS coral and steer clear of the more demanding SPS. While that didn't happen, I have avoided some of the most demanding SPS and also limited the number and avoided the fasted growing types. I know you set the bar very high for yourself and consequently this can create more challenges; your tanks always look awesome so I'm glad you put the extra effort in!

On another note - sorry about the late responses but my notifications aren't working again. I will have a mess with the settings...

Cool photos. I am by no means a clam expert, but it looks good and I love the macro shot of the acans.

Thanks! The clam actually looks much nicer in person. The colours vary a lot depending on viewing angle and look best straight down. I'll dig out my coral viewer and see if I can get a decent top down shot. Acans always look great in a macro shot with their texture and tentacles.

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6071_zps104decb6.jpg.html'>IMG_6071_zps104decb6.jpg

I also grabbed a shot of the Red Planet from above (compare it to the side view a couple of posts back)

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6068_zps5ae5fb8c.jpg.html'>IMG_6068_zps5ae5fb8c.jpg

Here's a top down of the Pink Lemonade. None of the shots from the side came out well so that wasn't included before.

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_6066_zpsd863eab4.jpg.html'>IMG_6066_zpsd863eab4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So jealous...I cannot wait to get some of my livestock into the new tank. Your clam is beautiful, I will have to consider one for mine, if I can find enough room. The Red Planet and Lemonade frags have some really nice PE. I hope my pairing of my old clown and new clown goes well and I start getting some spawning action out of them, that would be so cool. Great photos as always....keep it coming!

So jealous...I cannot wait to get some of my livestock into the new tank. Your clam is beautiful, I will have to consider one for mine, if I can find enough room. The Red Planet and Lemonade frags have some really nice PE. I hope my pairing of my old clown and new clown goes well and I start getting some spawning action out of them, that would be so cool. Great photos as always....keep it coming!

Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait until it fills out a bit. Compared to my old 55 gallon this is bare!

I found aquascaping a little tough due to the limited depth (front to back) of the tank; I like the look of your scape - looking forward to seeing it stocked!

• 1 month later...

I have been traveling a lot so not much to update. The Clowns have been laying on a regular basis. The clam has been more closed than usual the last few days which is worrying - it broke its byssal threads and fell off its rock I placed it back on the rock and it stayed there. I'm not sure what's going on because it seemed to settle in ok and appeared quite happy until this week. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, the main reason I was posting is the female Clown and a Gorgonian. On Sunday I saw her mouth a Gorg frag and also the tip of the main colony. Then she did it again. The Gorgs retracted their polyps but didn't seem too bothered. Today I see they have both lost a short length of tissue near the tip and the fibrous skeleton is exposed. Any idea what might be going on here? The Gorg has been in this tank since I set it up a few months back and this is the first time I have seen this activity.

I watched mine yesterday going ham on my duncan, ima blame the moon.

Wow! Just when you think you've seen Clown Fish do all the goofy stuff the possibly can, they come up with something new! I guess it keeps it lively!

My clam was opening even less today - barely a crack. When I tapped the shell, it closed up. As it hadn't reattached since the other day, I examined it and found pyramidal snails around the byssal opening. I removed 8 or so and put the clam back in. It isn't looking too good. The tissue around the byssal opening was retracted and there was no mantle visible where the clam had opened a small amount. I'm not giving up yet but I am getting ready to pull it out if needed.

I had inspected the calm on arrival and there was no sign of snails. I wonder if there were eggs that were hiding near the byssal opening that I mistook for clam tissue.

1. I feel like I have been to this thread before but didn't say anything as you were in early stages

2. That doesn't sound good, I don't know what you do but hopefully someone does and fast

1. I feel like I have been to this thread before but didn't say anything as you were in early stages 2. That doesn't sound good, I don't know what you do but hopefully someone does and fast

Thanks for stopping by. This thread is definitely a mess especially with the whole stop/start at the beginning.

I doubt the snails were in the tank before I added the clam because I started with dry rock and quarantined everything else before adding. It's a pity - the website said they quarantine all of their stock before sale. I guess it's one of those things. I previously tried to QT a clam and it ended up dying after a couple of months.

Off to do some research to see if there's anything I can do for the clam at this late stage.

Update: I checked the clam and there was no response. I have removed it from the tank. Now I have the problem of how to remove any remaining parasitic snails and any eggs before I buy another clam. From what i have read, some are species specific whereas others will feed on clams and snails. Manual removal appears to be the primary means of control once they are introduced to a tank. I haven't found anything relating to how long it takes of them to die off without a suitable host but some suggest it is quite a while. I'm certainly going to leave it for a few weeks and carefully observe my snails and glass.

• 4 weeks later...

The Gorgonian is making a recovery. Not sure what was going on there...

In other news, a couple of weeks ago I noticed a bulge in the divider that separates the display from the rear chambers. On closer inspection, the plastic has begun to come away from the glass panel which it is supposed to be bonded to. It has detached at the top near the overflow so detritus can collect between the plastic and the glass. It also has a ripple in the plastic that is noticeable when viewing the tank. Not happy...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

The tank is looking good.

I have a question for you. After switch the radion pucks out to the Gen 3, was it worth the upgrade? what were the benefits (if any) and what are the draw backs (if any)?

regards,

Rob

Archived