SaltCritters.com

GTi's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

GTi

So I just tested ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the temporary holding tank I set up in the basement. Ammonia still at 2, nitrites and nitrates at zero! Started cycling a bare bottom, dry rock tank with new saltwater and Dr Tim's One and Only. Added ammonium chloride. I'm thinking I have duff bacteria. It was shipped by the retailed on a mild day but with 3 ice packs. I suspected it may have frozen in transit and then thawed because two of the ice packs were still solid. When i explained my concerns, they sent a new bottle without ice packs and I just added half of that to the tank.

This will be interesting. As there are no nitrites or nitrates, I think it's fair to assume there is minimal to no nitrifying bacteria in there. After adding bacteria from the new bottle, I'm hoping to see some nitrite within 2-3 days. Their site suggests an instant cycle but a lot of the reviewers claim 5-7 days to be cycled. We'll see!

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I like!

Thanks. I have found it a bit easier to get a scape I like with the larger rocks.

three island scape IMO

I tried 3 and it got a bit cramped. The tank is definitely long enough but is quite narrow (10.5" in the display) and I want to keep some open sand bed for aesthetics and a plate and a clam. If you have examples or suggestions, please post them up. I'm always open to suggestions. Thanks!

Glue some rubble in the big cracks where the rocks meet and it will look more like a continuous arch, I know with tons of coral it will probably be un-noticeable but on the chance you don't get it covered it will look better.

Glue some rubble in the big cracks where the rocks meet and it will look more like a continuous arch, I know with tons of coral it will probably be un-noticeable but on the chance you don't get it covered it will look better.

I like that - as long as I can keep the rocks separate so I can remove them to frag corals, I will do!

I like that - as long as I can keep the rocks separate so I can remove them to frag corals, I will do!

Should work if you just glue em to one side of the crack.

BattleAthletics

don't be afraid to take a hammer and chisel to that rock and make some sweet shapes with some epoxy.

That is very true.

Nice build so far!

following

I finally managed to register for the Apex Fusion beta testing! Set up is pretty easy and I'm going to try it on my phone next!

Edit: Works fine on my phone!

Other news:

Spray painted the rear chambers of the tank with Krylon Fusion in black satin finish. Overall it came out well - the right side which is most visible is good, the left side has a slight run in it and the back is good apart from a couple of bits of lint but none shows through. In a couple of small places there must have been traces of sealant because the paint was repelled. Barely noticeable.

Ammonia and Nitrites are unchanged! I emailed Dr Tim's last night and had a reply a little while ago. Apparently bare bottomed tanks take longer to cycle even if there is rock in there. Just in case it will help, I dripped in some of the water from a bag of arag-alive I have lined up for the main tank once everything is all sorted out. I knew having an intermediate holding tank was going to be a hassle but this is starting to get annoying.

Basically I have everything I need to get the new tank cycling but I can't get the old stuff out of the way until the holding tank is up and cycled. I did think about cycling all the new rock and sand in a tub but I think I'l just wait it out.

BattleAthletics

I finally managed to register for the Apex Fusion beta testing! Set up is pretty easy and I'm going to try it on my phone next!

Edit: Works fine on my phone!

Did you do it right after I posted? Im seeing a trend of certain hours only open.

Did you do it right after I posted? Im seeing a trend of certain hours only open.

Pretty much. I have been trying for about a week at all sorts of odd times and finally got lucky. I wasn't expecting it and nearly clicked through. That would have been annoying!

Thanks to Tron's advanced info, I know I'm likely to be running around 7" of water in the rear chambers. I run my heaters through my Apex and always want redundancy so I run 2 heaters set to 82F. The Apex uses it's temperature problem to turn the heaters on and off. If one heater fails off, the other will provide some heating and provide more time to react. If either heater fails on, the Apex will do the switching. If the Apex leaves the heaters on, they should shut themselves off using the internal thermostat. If the Apex doesn't turn them on, tough luck!

Anyway, I just ordered 2 of the 75W Neo-Therms. 6 1/2" tall, rated for 20 gallons. The 100W models I have in my 55 gallon have been awesome so far. Anyway, the 75s are the right fit and as the combined rating of 40 gallons is about 50% more than my tanks working volume of approx 28 gallons, they should take care of things even when the house is cooler at night or when we are away.

The Apex Fusion software is nice. I'm thinking a WXM to allow different modes on the MP10s during the day would be nice. Maybe later on!

I fine tuned the scape a bit more this afternoon. Played around with the supporting rocks, chipped off some parts that would be too close to the glass or back of the tank and would impede cleaning (learned that lesson already!).

This is where I'm at. I did look at adding another island but would have had to make these two smaller and lose my open sand bed where I'm going to put a clam and plate coral later on.

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1_zps43be1c26.jpg.html'>photo1_zps43be1c26.jpg

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo2_zpsb3b28064.jpg.html'>photo2_zpsb3b28064.jpg

Checked ammonia and nitrite in the holding tank - still no change after a week!

I cleaned out my old 20L frag tank and switched over my anemone and 3 frags in to my old 3 gallon cube. Looking much cleaner! I'm not sure if I want to run a frag tank long term or not. I like to keep the display tank clean but my LEDtric full spectrum PAR38 doesn't seem to promote growth as well as the Radions. I might compromise and keep a couple of small frag racks in the display. With the smaller tank, less radical rock work and wide angle lenses I may be able to get away with one of the Radions which will leave me one as a spare to either sell or use over a frag tank.

Nano sapiens

That looks good. Try moving the rock islands maybe an inch or two closer together and see how that looks (will also facilitate more flow and even easier glass cleaning).

That looks good. Try moving the rock islands maybe an inch or two closer together and see how that looks (will also facilitate more flow and even easier glass cleaning).

Thanks - sounds like a plan!

Nice tank! It's coming along nice, oh and cheers to a fellow GTI enthusiast :D

Thanks! I love my car!

Sweet Aquascape!

This ^.

Sweet Aquascape!

This ^.

Thanks!

Looking good so far!

Thank you, too!

VW fan bois :rolleyes:

Best car I've ever owned, by far... :)

Nice! Mines just a standard cooking model but I'm thinking of breaking ranks and taking a look at the Audi S3 when it comes out later this year. I'll also check out the Golf R which is likely to be very similar mechanically.

Nano sapiens

Thanks!

Thank you, too!

Nice! Mines just a standard cooking model but I'm thinking of breaking ranks and taking a look at the Audi S3 when it comes out later this year. I'll also check out the Golf R which is likely to be very similar mechanically.

I think that either would be a great choice. Just depends on whether a sedan or hatchback is a better fit.

Sweet Aquascape!

This ^.

Like this?

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1_zpsea4f75d0.jpg.html'>photo1_zpsea4f75d0.jpg

http://s867.photobucket.com/user/markpr/media/Mobile%20Uploads/photo2_zpsb105e5a3.jpg.html'>photo2_zpsb105e5a3.jpg

Nem seems to be happier in the new frag tank.

Didn't bother to waste any time testing the holding tank for ammonia and nitrite - maybe tomorrow.

Some poor guy on my local reef forum is offering to buy Asterinas for 50c each to feed his Harlequin shrimp. I offered him some for free but he's too far away. He said every time someone offers them free, they never follow through!

Archived