Pod Your Reef

makersled heatsink / fan / led coverage questions

pompeyjohn

Hello all,

I have just bought a box of led bits and pieces from a local reefer. I think I have the original lumia 100w chip. There are no markings or symbols on it though, so not sure. Horerczy's build is inspirational, and I am looking to follow parts of it.

The tank to light is 48"x24"x7". It is a shallow zoa grow out tank. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on these questions.

1. Do you think a single lumia [supplemented with two 475nm leds] would provide enough coverage for the whole tray? I don't mind darker edges as some zoas prefer less light.

2. If you think two lumias are required, could both be run from a single 36v 9.7 amp dc power supply? Could two 50w leds?

3. Horerczy used a 12 makersled heatsink with two fans for a single lumia. Four fans for two 100w lumias on a 24 inch heatsink? Three fans for 2 50w on a 24 inch heatsink?

4. Anyone know where those cool terminal blocks he used come from? They look great.

Thanks all in advance

John

ps. going to be running all this with a jarduino.

jedimasterben

If it doesn't have any markings on it, then it is not a Lumia chip. This is what they look like:

IMG_0020.jpg

The newer revisions will say "Lumia 5.1" across the top instead of "Full Spectrum", like this:

P7310025__85568.1375724416.1280.1280.jpg

If it is not a Lumia, you need to figure out what the electrical specifications are of the chip, or else could destroy it or your drivers trying to run it improperly.

On to your questions.

1) No.

2) No. The channels on the Lumia pull more than 36v. If you're using Meanwell LDD, they use around 3-4v by themselves, so a 36v input will have 32-33v output, which will not provide the proper voltage to the Lumia and kill it. To run two Lumia 5.1 over such a shallow tray, I would run them at 500mA per channel, which amounts to ~90w each. To run two of those, you need a 48v power supply that will give a minimum of 216w.

3) Use two separate heatsinks, or one 36" one so that you can get proper spread. You want the LED centered in each half of the tank.

4) I think I bought mine from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=terminal%20block

Since you're running it from a Jarduino, you'll want to use Meanwell LDD. Get 10x LDD-500H (these are the ones with the pins, not wires) and two Coralux 5-up boards.

From further investigation it appears to be the original 100w DreamChip. Big case of Buyers Remorse here. Thank you very much for your helpful response. It is hugely appreciated.

jedimasterben

Doh! If the seller advertised it was a Lumia, I would try and get with them to have them make it right. If not, hopefully you paid via paypal!

Nope, the seller advertised it as a DreamChip and I paid cash (it was local). The confusion is all mine. I don't know my arse from my arduino. Thanks again Ben for all your advice. I have read several of your posts and you are hugely giving of your time and knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to bring this back from the grave. The more I read about jarduino the more I want to give this a go. The dreamchip was a bad buy and unsuitable for my tank, but the other bits might still be usable. I cant afford two lumias, and the price of ten 500h drivers is $90 at mouser. It seems odd to me that the 1000h are cheaper than the 500h and 700h.

Is there a good combination I could use with my existing five 1000h drivers and 36v 9.7a psu?

jedimasterben

The LDD are all $7.33 at LEDgroupbuy, some places have them cheaper (as low as $5.90ish) but with a couple of week lead times.

If you weren't going multichip, yes. At any rate, the 36v power supply would not work with the Lumia (or any Dreamchip, either). It does not provide enough voltage.

CNCreef.com

Check the classifieds - we have some LDD drivers in stock we are trying to get out of our inventory.

Cheers

Chris

Ben,

So if I don't go multichip, I could use the existing drivers and power supply. I'd just have to set the correct 3w string lengths. Is that correct? But, something tells me that the 100h drivers are not a good match for the power supply. I don't mind dumping the dreamchip and doing my own array of 3w leds. I'd rather not buy new drivers and a new power supply as well.

Chris,

Thanks for the tip. I am trying to get my head around all this.

jedimasterben

LEDs don't really work by watts, they work on voltage, and the driver (the LDD) supply the current (and multiplying the current and the voltage gets your final watts, which is almost never 3w).

Any LDD and power supply combo is fine as long as you do not exceed the wattage rating (this is the only place where wattage comes into play with LEDs). The LDD will have an output around 33v on the power supply you have, and will give a current of 1A. To figure out how many LEDs you can run (you're limited to XT-E, XP-E/2, XM-L, none of the exotics line since your LDD output 1A), you add up the voltage of the LEDs in the string, and make sure it's under 33 and then you can run that many safely. So, if you use XT-E, they use around 3.1v each at 1A, so you can run up to 10x of them, XP-E2 use around 3.4v each at 1A, so you're limited to 9x of those, etc.

Your 36v 9.7A PSU has a maximum rating of 350w, you don't want to exceed 290w. For a tank that is 7" deep, you don't need to be anywhere near that. I'd recommend to use 12x XT-E NW, 24x XT-E RB, and 6x XP-E2 blue as your base. If it's just a growout tank, you can leave it at that. If it is a 'coloring up' tank or a display, you'll want to toss in a few violet (up to 12x, mix hyper and true) and a couple of OCW per side.

Looking at CREE XTEs they have a 30w chip. Now that is tempting. I know it would be a single point of light per driver - but a lot easier to wire.

FV is 30-34Vdc

FC is 1amp

Would one of those be pushing the driver and power supply too much? How about five chips, each on their own driver?

jedimasterben

As long as you aren't going over the voltage provided by the LDD (which is 33v) and go over the wattage rating of the power supply, you aren't going to hurt anything.

Archived