SaltCritters.com

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the background on FW planted! Its amazing how much work goes into it. I look forward to seeing how the Betta tank's plants go for you. :)

I interviewed for a faculty position at UC-Davis. :) Given the speed at which university faculty searches move, I probably won't hear anything until mid-to-late November. I know they have a few other candidates coming in to interview at the end of October.

Even if I don't get the Davis job, my sister is trying really hard to land a position at Apple corporate. She had been working in a retail store in Chicago for a few years, but came out to Cupertino this summer for an internship. She has been having a great time and is happy to be doing something outside of retail that actually uses her degree. She has a bunch of interviews lined up for next week.

I had my sister swing me by California Reef Company on the way to the airport this morning. I picked up a few zoas. We'll see how they like the flight home, since currently I am in airport delay limbo...

You're in veterinary medicine right? Good luck to you and your sister on the job front! Apple would be an amazing company to work for, so I hope she gets the job. Living in the Bay Area is a nice plus too :)

So did you put the zoas in your checked bag, or carry them through airport security?

Looks like you and Eddie had an awesome time Felicia! I'm so jealous that you got to go see ATM, I really must try to fit it in when I got to Vegas in January.

We did! ATM was cool, but they don't do any production work on the weekends, so it was quiet around there. None of the main cast was around, just a couple employees running the retail store and feeding the birds and the big. It was still pretty cool to see it! Its only like a 10 minute drive off the strip, and it doesn't take that long to see it, so I bet you could squeeze it in.

You look awesome. pretty and happy. Dang nice cowboy hat too. Love the little planted tank!

Thank you! :blush: I love my cowboy hat. I actually picked that one up on a Western store in Hawaii when I was out there diving back in February. I'm glad you like the little planted tank. I'm digging it right now. So easy and zen :)

We did! ATM was cool, but they don't do any production work on the weekends, so it was quiet around there. None of the main cast was around, just a couple employees running the retail store and feeding the birds and the big. It was still pretty cool to see it! Its only like a 10 minute drive off the strip, and it doesn't take that long to see it, so I bet you could squeeze it in.

Now you really do have me excited :D, I am really going to try and fit it in.

You're in veterinary medicine right? Good luck to you and your sister on the job front! Apple would be an amazing company to work for, so I hope she gets the job. Living in the Bay Area is a nice plus too :)

So did you put the zoas in your checked bag, or carry them through airport security?

Yup, I'm in vet med, so the job is at the vet school at UCD. :)

My sister took me to 1 Infinity Loop in Cupertino. I bought some swag at the company store for my husband. Then she took me inside to go eat. Jeez, even the company cafeteria was pretty amazing. Salad bars, soup bars, sandwich bars, pasta bars... I guess if you have your employees working long hours, you want to keep them fed and happy. We ate in the large courtyard in the center of the headquarters. My sister said that every month or so they throw a "beer bash" for employees there that has free beer and usually some band. She said the first bash she was at Jack Johnson played. Then there are the company gyms and health clinics around the area too. So yeah, they take very good care of their own!

I put my zoas in my checked bag. I had thought taking them as carry-on, but it was a last minute idea to go coral shopping and I hadn't thought things through. I suppose I could have had them in minimal water or even wrapped them in wet papertowels and carried them on since zoas are pretty tolerant of being exposed to air. TSA does allow you to carry on fish in more than 3oz of water, but it is easier to prove a fish is alive to a TSA agent than a closed up coral, so I figured I won't push my luck. Anyway, California Reef Co packaged up all my corals in a small styrofoam box and even put a heat pack inside. They taped everything up, then I wrote "Live Coral Inside" on the outside of the styrofoam box. I tucked the whole thing in the center of my checked bag. The contents of my suitcase did look like they had been examined, but they didn't open up the styrofoam box. All the corals (zoas and 1 shroom) made the trip just fine. They were bagged around 12pm Pacific time, and didn't go into my tank until around 2am Eastern time -- so 11 hours in the bags.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, I'm in vet med, so the job is at the vet school at UCD. :)

My sister took me to 1 Infinity Loop in Cupertino. I bought some swag at the company store for my husband. Then she took me inside to go eat. Jeez, even the company cafeteria was pretty amazing. Salad bars, soup bars, sandwich bars, pasta bars... I guess if you have your employees working long hours, you want to keep them fed and happy. We ate in the large courtyard in the center of the headquarters. My sister said that every month or so they throw a "beer bash" for employees there that has free beer and usually some band. She said the first bash she was at Jack Johnson played. Then there are the company gyms and health clinics around the area too. So yeah, they take very good care of their own!

I put my zoas in my checked bag. I had thought taking them as carry-on, but it was a last minute idea to go coral shopping and I hadn't thought things through. I suppose I could have had them in minimal water or even wrapped them in wet papertowels and carried them on since zoas are pretty tolerant of being exposed to air. TSA does allow you to carry on fish in more than 3oz of water, but it is easier to prove a fish is alive to a TSA agent than a closed up coral, so I figured I won't push my luck. Anyway, California Reef Co packaged up all my corals in a small styrofoam box and even put a heat pack inside. They taped everything up, then I wrote "Live Coral Inside" on the outside of the styrofoam box. I tucked the whole thing in the center of my checked bag. The contents of my suitcase did look like they had been examined, but they didn't open up the styrofoam box. All the corals (zoas and 1 shroom) made the trip just fine. They were bagged around 12pm Pacific time, and didn't go into my tank until around 2am Eastern time -- so 11 hours in the bags.

My best friend is a veterinarian. She came out here to interview for jobs when she graduated, but she ended up taking a job in Florida (where we both grew up) at a local SPCA.

Yeah I've heard Infinity Loop is pretty awesome! What a cool place to work :)

I did the checked bag coming back from MACNA and it worked great. I think walking coral through security would be much more stressful and may not always work. One of the TSA agents in the Denver airport after MACNA told us if we ever wanted to carry coral through security to ask if there are any divers on the TSA staff because they'd be able to identify it was alive. He said a lot of the TSA agents are ex-military, so there are generally some Navy divers on staff.

Sorry for going MIA again guys. Life has been hectic! I figured I'd pop in and share some Halloween costume photos though. I went to a costume party in San Francisco last night, so I have some fun photos from that. Stay tuned this week for photos of Lily in her Halloween costume.

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_1399Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_1399Edit.jpg

Me with some of my friends.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_1387Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_1387Edit.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_1395Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_1395Edit.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_1401Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_1401Edit.jpg

I found another Beetlejuice at the party!

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_1408Edit.jpg.html'>IMG_1408Edit.jpg

Awesome costume! I love the wig :). Looks like so much fun!!! I miss those days. Now I just party with old married people...cuz, that's what I am :lol:.

Looks like fun! Great costume.

Awesome costume and you look great! Looks like a fun time.

Thanks, guys! It was a really fun party. It was actually a fundraiser for the UCSF hospital that happens every year. One of the doctors there donates his mansion in Bernal Heights in San Francisco for the party. The entrance fee is a donation for the charity and then there's an open bar all night, lots of snack food, and tons of live music and performers. Everyone has free run of the mansion for the night.

I forgot to post this photo earlier. Check out this cool antique piano that was in the mansion :)

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_1407.jpg.html'>IMG_1407.jpg

Awesome costume! I love the wig :). Looks like so much fun!!! I miss those days. Now I just party with old married people...cuz, that's what I am :lol:.

Thanks, Gena! The wig was lots of fun, although they're always so hot and itchy. Gena, you're not too old to party. Plus, I hang out with married people. The two friends who are dressed up as cowboys actually just got married. :)

Thanks, guys! It was a really fun party. It was actually a fundraiser for the UCSF hospital that happens every year. One of the doctors there donates his mansion in Bernal Heights in San Francisco for the party. The entrance fee is a donation for the charity and then there's an open bar all night, lots of snack food, and tons of live music and performers. Everyone has free run of the mansion for the night.

I forgot to post this photo earlier. Check out this cool antique piano that was in the mansion :)

IMG_1407.jpg

Thanks, Gena! The wig was lots of fun, although they're always so hot and itchy. Gena, you're not too old to party. Plus, I hang out with married people. The two friends who are dressed up as cowboys actually just got married. :)

I agree! You're not too old to party. I just partied Saturday night to 3:30 am and the next youngest person was 6 yrs younger than me and most everyone was in their lower 30s. We're still young!!

IMG_1407.jpg

That is soooo cool. That's a cute cowboy couple :).

I agree! You're not too old to party. I just partied Saturday night to 3:30 am and the next youngest person was 6 yrs younger than me and most everyone was in their lower 30s. We're still young!!

Oh, I know :):flower:. Once my son is 18 and graduated..all hell will break loose again :lol:. Just kidding :D.

Dayum Girl!! :wub:

Crazy how good you look with short hair too.

After Tim Burton killed my all time favorite childhood movie with his craptastic remake of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. All is now forgiven!

• 2 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Cute costume! That was my favorite after school cartoon as a kid

How's your leopard wrasse doing? I have the chance to get one this week, but wanted to be sure yours is still doing well before I take the leap.

Oh, do you have a 3" sand bed? Mine is 1-2" probably need to make it deeper.

aquariumlover10
How about a few more photos from the trip?

We went for the Route 91 Harvest Festival, which was 3 days of country music outdoors on the Vegas Strip. You can see our hotel, Mandalay Bay, behind the stage.

20141003_160623.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

Randy Houser

IMG_0795.jpg

Blake Shelton

IMG_0802.jpg

Dierks Bentley

IMG_0968.jpg

Miranda Lambert

IMG_0980.jpg

Jason Aldean

IMG_1115.jpg

Rockin' the cowboy hat!

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg

And the cowboy boots!

IMG_1100.jpg

Amazing view from the hotel room.

IMG_0956.jpg

View from the top of Mandalay Bay.

IMG_0838.jpg

So much amazing food and drinks!

IMG_0962.jpg

fun8.jpg

20141004_133306_LLS.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

20141003_123130.jpg

Lucky, I wanted to go to that festival, I'm a huge country fan.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Come back! Hope all is well and that you're just really, really busy with real life.

I wonder if maybe she's defending her thesis soon.

+1, any updates?

Archived