Innovative Marine Aquariums

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

The original Diver's Paradise was running from 1/17/12 to 2/25/14. After a crash caused by a new wrasse disturbing the 2-year old sand bed, I decided to gut the tank and start over with a new plan. I figured I'd treat this like a new build and create a new thread. So now its time for Diver's Paradise: The Sequel :D

This tank was started on 2/28/14.

FTS 7/7/14

IMG_8182.jpg

Specifications

Tank

• 30g Aqueon glass aquarium (36"x12"x16")

Rock and Sand

• 28 lbs of KPA cured live rock
  • 30 lbs of Caribsea Bahamas Oolite live sand

Lighting

• Maxspect R420R (Razor) 27" 160 watt 16k

Flow

• Vortech MP10ES
  • Jebao WP-10

Filtration

• Sump - 5.5 Gallon Tetra Glass Tank, Eshopps PF-Nano Overflow Box, Rio Plus 1400 Return Pump
  • 4" Felt Filter Sock
  • BRS Single Media Reactor with Carbon and GFO Mix (Cobalt MJ 1200 Pump)
  • SCA-301 Skimmer

Heating

• 125 Watt Eheim Jager Heater
  • Finnex Max-300 Digital Aquarium Heater Controller

Auto Top-Off

• JBJ ATO Water Level Controller
  • Tom Aqua Lifter Vacuum Pump

Dosing

• 2 BRS Peristaltic Dosing Pumps (1.1 mL per minute) on digital timer dosing B-Ionic Alkalinity and Ca

RO/DI System

• BRS 5 Stage RO/DI System
  • Purtrex 5 micron sediment filter
  • Matrikx CTO 5 micron carbon block
  • Matrikx CTO 0.6 micron carbon block
  • 75 GPD Dow Filmtec membrane
  • DI resin refillable cartridge

Livestock

Fish

• Yellow Watchman Goby
  • Orange Firefish
  • Yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish (female)
  • Standard Ocellaris Clownfish (male)
  • Yellow Candy Hogfish

Inverts

• Astrea, nerite, cerith, margarita, turbo and nassarius snails
  • Blue leg and orange claw hermits
  • Halloween Hermit Crab
  • 2 Fighting Conchs
  • Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
  • 2 Sexy Shrimp
  • Horseshoe Crab
  • Squamosa (purchased Oct. 2013)
  • Tiger Derasa (purchased March 2014)

Corals

Softies

• Green Fuzzy Mushroom
  • Orange Tree Gorgonian
  • Golden Muricea Gorgonian
  • Grafted Mushroom
  • Superman Rhodactis Mushroom

Zoas/Palys

• BBEB's (Blondies)
  • Rastas
  • Devil's Armor
  • Pink Zippers
  • Punk Rockers
  • Miami Vice
  • Nuclear Greens
  • Purple Deaths
  • Fruit Loops
  • Kryptonites
  • Bam Bams
  • Pink Hallucinations
  • CARs
  • Mind Blowing Palys
  • Blue Hornets
  • Ring of Fires
  • Tubbs Blues
  • Lord of the Rings
  • My Clementines
  • Nightcrawlers
  • Unknown mint green zoas
  • Unknown purple zoas
  • Assorted rainbow palys
  • Goblin's Vomit zoas

LPS

• Symphyllia Brain Coral
  • ATL Lavender Lace Duncan
  • Aussie Elegance
  • Teal with Purple Stripes Scolymia
  • Green Lithophyllon
  • Orange Fungia
  • Assorted Acans
  • Micromussas
  • Dendros
  • Frogspawn (branching, bicolor)
  • Assorted Hammers (branching)

Anemones

• Orange Tube Anemone
  • Purple Tube Anemone
  • Pink Tube Anemone
  • Assorted Rock Flower Anemones
  • 4 Bubble Tip Anemones

History

3/13/14

IMG_5220.jpg

4/9/14

IMG_5749Edit.jpg

5/3/14

IMG_6335.jpg

5/29/14

IMG_6809Edit.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn your fast Steph, i wanted to be the first one,lol

Did your rock show up today?

Steph was very fast! Sorry Eddie!

My rock was shipped in 3 boxes but the other two are still MIA. Genas brother's rock from KPA shipped at the same time and he hasn't gotten any of his yet. I'm getting pretty frustrated. I emailed KPA to see if they can contact USPS and see what's up and try to get a shipping refund for us. At this point I have one big rock in my tank. Hopefully the rest shows up tomorrow. Well see.

She had you beat by like 4 hours LOL.

Yay for sequels :happydance:

My rock was shipped in 3 boxes but the other two are still MIA. Genas brother's rock from KPA shipped at the same time and he hasn't gotten any of his yet. I'm getting pretty frustrated. I emailed KPA to see if they can contact USPS and see what's up and try to get a shipping refund for us. At this point I have one big rock in my tank. Hopefully the rest shows up tomorrow. Well see.

What shape is that one rock in?

Yay for sequels :happydance:

What shape is that one rock in?

It's big and sort of flat. It'll be good for the base of an island.
Mr. Microscope

I'm sorry to hear about the rocks. I hate shipping. USPS mess up my nem order too. Good luck on the reload and new tank thread Felicia!

Following!

words_2.gif

So fustrating! Keep your head up @ least KPA Rocks (no pun intended) k, maybe a little :lol:Ohh man i crack myself up sometimes

There customer service rocks i meant. Sign-CheerUp.gif

I think iv'e had to many

drunk05.gif and should log off now or at least switch to fb and make a fool of my self over there :lol:

OMG ROTFLMAOSmiley.gif I totally didn't see the time she first posted it! I just assumed she posted it just before i seen it, ok this is @ me laughs_8.gif

dixie reefer

Did your rock show up today?

Haha Eddie you were just too slow. Lol

Sweet can't wait to see the sequel

Thanks! :)

I'm sorry to hear about the rocks. I hate shipping. USPS mess up my nem order too. Good luck on the reload and new tank thread Felicia!

Following!

Yeah, shipping is always such a pain. That's why I usually prefer to get my corals locally if possible. KPA is about the only online vendor I'm willing to buy from because they have a lot of seahorse tank stuff that I can't get locally. Glad to hear you'll be following along!

I meant condition :D. After taking so long.

That makes so much more sense. I was wondering why you were asking about its shape. Goodness, apparently Eddie isn't the only slow one today :lol::lol::lol:

words_2.gif

So fustrating! Keep your head up @ least KPA Rocks (no pun intended) k, maybe a little :lol:Ohh man i crack myself up sometimes

There customer service rocks i meant. Sign-CheerUp.gif

I think iv'e had to many

drunk05.gif and should log off now or at least switch to fb and make a fool of my self over there :lol:

OMG ROTFLMAOSmiley.gif I totally didn't see the time she first posted it! I just assumed she posted it just before i seen it, ok this is @ me laughs_8.gif

How much did you have to drink? This post absolutely cracked me up. Love all the insane emoticons. KPA emailed me back and said unfortunately they have no recourse with USPS because USPS does not guarantee a delivery time frame for priority mail. Ugh! KPA did say though that if any of the rock shows up in bad shape that they will send out replacements at no charge to me. They really do rock! USPS just sucks right now. KPA said that they have 4 customers with MIA packages right now, so USPS really dropped the ball this week. I just got a tracking update and it looks like another of my boxes will be here first thing tomorrow, but the third box is still sitting in the sort facility in Florida according to the tracking data :furious: That last box is probably going to be some very dead rock when it finally gets here.

That makes so much more sense. I was wondering why you were asking about its shape. Goodness, apparently Eddie isn't the only slow one today :lol::lol::lol:

How much did you have to drink? This post absolutely cracked me up. Love all the insane emoticons. KPA emailed me back and said unfortunately they have no recourse with USPS because USPS does not guarantee a delivery time frame for priority mail. Ugh! KPA did say though that if any of the rock shows up in bad shape that they will send out replacements at no charge to me. They really do rock! USPS just sucks right now. KPA said that they have 4 customers with MIA packages right now, so USPS really dropped the ball this week. I just got a tracking update and it looks like another of my boxes will be here first thing tomorrow, but the third box is still sitting in the sort facility in Florida according to the tracking data :furious: That last box is probably going to be some very dead rock when it finally gets here.

My brother got the exact same message from them. At least you did get one box and another today. Doesn't look like he'll get his at all today either. After 6 days his box is going to be SMELLY. That's assuming he gets it Monday. Good grief!!!!!!

Did you have many dead worms at the bottom of your shipping box with that flat rock that did arrive?

Ohh...jus a few :lol: Fingers crossed/hope box 2 of 3 shows for you today atleast

My brother got the exact same message from them. At least you did get one box and another today. Doesn't look like he'll get his at all today either. After 6 days his box is going to be SMELLY. That's assuming he gets it Monday. Good grief!!!!!!

Did you have many dead worms at the bottom of your shipping box with that flat rock that did arrive?

Bummer on your bros rocks to :(

Dead worms :scarry: didn't want those creepy's anyways

Hi G :blush::D

Both of my boxes of rock arrive at 10 am this morning! :happydance: I guess all the tracking data was just wrong! 4 days in transit made the rock a bit smelly, but otherwise it seems to be in good shape. Lots of nice color on all of it! I haven't seen any hitchhikers at all except for 2 dead bristle worms in the bottom of the bag from the first box that arrived. Otherwise, its pretty much just nice color on all of the rocks. We'll see if any other life appears now that the rocks are in the tank. KPA was awesome with their freebies as usual and sent me an extra 3 lbs of rock. So I got a total of 28 lbs, all with very nice color, which is what I was going for this time around. Now for the hard part, which is aquascaping. That won't be happening this weekend since I'm busy today and going diving tomorrow, but probably some evening this coming week I'll work on that.

I actually got both today! Yay! That's too bad your brother's boxes are still MIA. I guess Monday then for him. Philipp at KPA assured me that he thinks the rock should be totally fine up to 7 days in shipment. Its too bad USPS has no guarantees on priority mail because I think we all deserve a shipping refund. Oh well! I'm just happy mine all showed up finally. I only had 2 dead worms in that first box and none in the others.

Ohh...jus a few :lol: Fingers crossed/hope box 2 of 3 shows for you today atleast

Sounds like you had a nice evening :D I went out last night with friends in San Francisco. We went to an Ethiopian restaurant for dinner and then we went to this bar called "Candy Bar" to have fancy cocktails and delicious desserts. I had a cocktail with sparkling wine and raspberry puree and a dessert with baked apples with a hazelnut crust and gingerbread icecream. It was all sooo yummy! Then we went to another bar that was having 90's night and danced to the music we grew up listening to. Gotta love some oldschool Will Smith rap, like "Welcome to Miami". :lol: It was a fun night!

Yeah, I'll skip the bristleworms thank you! They're too creepy for me.

I've noticed since I got the MP10 the tank that the end farthest from the powerhead just really wasn't getting enough flow. There were definitely some dead spots that's were causing issues in the original "Diver's Paradise". I do not have the money to fork over for another MP10 right now, so I was looking at the Jebao WP-10 as an option for supplemental flow in the new set-up. Well lo and behold, someone posted a thread yesterday that Amazon had them on sale for $56 with free Prime shipping, so I snatched one up. The WP-10 is super tiny, so it shouldn't mess with aesthetics too much. Hopefully it will be the perfect amount of flow to supplement the MP10.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/Screenshot2014-03-01at113526AM.png.html'>Screenshot2014-03-01at113526AM.png

Hi G :blush::D

Hi, Z :happy:. Feeling better, I hope??? :D

Yeah...he's pretty upset about not getting the rock.

Both of my boxes of rock arrive at 10 am this morning! :happydance: I guess all the tracking data was just wrong! 4 days in transit made the rock a bit smelly, but otherwise it seems to be in good shape. Lots of nice color on all of it! I haven't seen any hitchhikers at all except for 2 dead bristle worms in the bottom of the bag from the first box that arrived. Otherwise, its pretty much just nice color on all of the rocks. We'll see if any other life appears now that the rocks are in the tank. KPA was awesome with their freebies as usual and sent me an extra 3 lbs of rock. So I got a total of 28 lbs, all with very nice color, which is what I was going for this time around. Now for the hard part, which is aquascaping. That won't be happening this weekend since I'm busy today and going diving tomorrow, but probably some evening this coming week I'll work on that.

I actually got both today! Yay! That's too bad your brother's boxes are still MIA. I guess Monday then for him. Philipp at KPA assured me that he thinks the rock should be totally fine up to 7 days in shipment. Its too bad USPS has no guarantees on priority mail because I think we all deserve a shipping refund. Oh well! I'm just happy mine all showed up finally. I only had 2 dead worms in that first box and none in the others.

Yeah, I'll skip the bristleworms thank you! They're too creepy for me.

I'm glad you got all of yours. AJ's didn't come in today either. So hopefully Monday. Sounds like your rock was in pretty good shape. Looking forward to seeing some photos of it :).
Mr. Microscope

I've noticed since I got the MP10 the tank that the end farthest from the powerhead just really wasn't getting enough flow. There were definitely some dead spots that's were causing issues in the original "Diver's Paradise". I do not have the money to fork over for another MP10 right now, so I was looking at the Jebao WP-10 as an option for supplemental flow in the new set-up. Well lo and behold, someone posted a thread yesterday that Amazon had them on sale for $56 with free Prime shipping, so I snatched one up. The WP-10 is super tiny, so it shouldn't mess with aesthetics too much. Hopefully it will be the perfect amount of flow to supplement the MP10.

Awesome! I just ordered one today because of that post too. My tank just turned two years. So, I figured it's like a birthday present. We'll have to compare notes.

Awesome! I just ordered one today because of that post too. My tank just turned two years. So, I figured it's like a birthday present. We'll have to compare notes.

Yeah, we'll definitely have to compare notes once we get them. I just need a bit of supplemental flow on one end of the tank and its hard to justify the price of another MP10 for that. I hate most powerheads though because they seriously disrupt the sleekness of a tank. I was intrigues by the WP-10 because its so tiny for the amount of flow it can put out. Rehype posted some photos he found of the WP-10 being compared to an MP10 wet side.

3BB3088C-9891-4D25-9B26-9A7D987923D0_zps

FFCFFEB3-12F1-4475-AE11-EA2A1F9B7BDF_zps

Yay! Your rock finally showed up!!

I'm so happy I didn't have to wait until Monday for them!

Hi, Z :happy:. Feeling better, I hope??? :D

Yeah...he's pretty upset about not getting the rock.

I'm glad you got all of yours. AJ's didn't come in today either. So hopefully Monday. Sounds like your rock was in pretty good shape. Looking forward to seeing some photos of it :).

Sorry to hear AJ's didn't show up today. Hopefully it will be just fine on Monday. What a pain! At least we know KPA is awesome and stands behind their product even if its USPS who is at fault. My rock looked just fine, so I think Philipp is right that it can make it up to 7 days in shipping and still be nice live rock. Any hitchhikers will be dead by then, but most of them are bad anyway and that was the point of getting cured rock in the first place, so there shouldn't have been too many either way. I didn't find any cool critters dead in my bags or anything.

Yay!!! hows the aquascaping going so far?

No aquascaping yet. Its been a busy weekend and I'm going diving all day tomorrow, so I won't get around to aquascaping until some evening this week. All the rock is just sitting in the tank currently. I've got a heater in there and the MP10 and that's it. I've got my bags of sand to add once I figure out the final scape. At least the cycle will get going now.

Mr. Microscope

Yeah, we'll definitely have to compare notes once we get them. I just need a bit of supplemental flow on one end of the tank and its hard to justify the price of another MP10 for that. I hate most powerheads though because they seriously disrupt the sleekness of a tank. I was intrigues by the WP-10 because its so tiny for the amount of flow it can put out. Rehype posted some photos he found of the WP-10 being compared to an MP10 wet side.

Yes, I saw rehype's post about that as well. Ever since I switched to Long Pulse Mode on my MP10, I can tell I've got some dead spots and I don't think flow is quite a optimal as it should be, but my corals really seem to love it. I think the WP should help to fill the gaps. I'm hoping it has a one of the pulse modes is on the longer end.

I have an old Koralia 2 powerhead (600 GPH), but that thing is a beast. It's bigger than my fist, and from what I gather, the WP-10 is two to three times more powerful. I tried putting it in my tank once and it took up an insane amount of space. I removed it 30 seconds later. Hopefully the footprint of the WP will be more manageable.

Archived