August 17th, 2015:

20478122498_274b55eb39_z.jpg

December 16th, 2014:

16028772831_e38e7819d3.jpg

October 25th, 2014:

15436667389_4b5a46ae68_c.jpg

August 28th, 2014: New Gorgs

15077265735_f77c8ae864_c.jpg

March 7, 2014. Not much change, but a slightly better picture.

photo11_zpsa7ac2ec9.jpg

Feb 27, 2014. (I need to get the white-balance on my camera worked out).

32f6629a-70d6-45a5-ac0a-0e5252cdecec_zps

• Replies 844
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old Equipment List:

• De-Rimmed Fluval Edge 6G
  • Eheim 2211 w/ ChemiPure, Purigen, Phosguard, and Seachem Matrix for extra biological filtration.
  • 2 Sets of VIV Inflow Lily Pipes
  • 2 Sets of Ebay Outflow Lily Pipes
  • Nano-box Mono with Storm Controller: 160 Blues, 80 Whites
  • Tunze ATO
  • Hydor In-Line Heater
  • MP10: Set to 32% Reef Crest

New Equipment List:

• Mr Aqua 11.8 Gallon
  • Custom 10 Gallon Sump
  • 2x IM Desktop Minimax Reactors: Biopellets (90mL TLF) in 1. Purigen, Seachem Matrix Carbon and Phosguard in the other.
  • Custom overflow.
  • SCA 301 Skimmer
  • Nano-box Mono (With 2 Limes) with Storm Controller: 240 Blues, 230 Whites
  • Tunze ATO
  • MP10: Set to 32% Reef Crest

Got an MP10.

Man, this week will be an exciting week for me. Not only does my HVLP painter come in so I can finish the DIY Stand, but I'm also expecting my Nanobox Mono AND an MP10.

omgomgomg

Yeah, I love the ADA look. Unfortunately, with just the canister return, I wasn't getting enough flow.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the MP10 placement? Should I place the MP10 on the same side as my lily pipe outflow, or should I place it on the opposite side?

Daaauugh. Still waiting for my MP10 and nanobox to come in and my tank to fully cycle. I'm stuck on a nitrite spike, and have been for the past 3 weeks (fml).

All this waiting is driving me cray cray.

Alrighty! Got an ETA on the Nanobox: this thursday.

As for the MP10, we ran into a bit of a hitch, but it should be here in reasonable time too.

Got my MP10!

It's currently being used for my cadlight 8G. When this tank cycles, I'm moving all the equipment and livestock from my Cadlight to this de-rimmed tank.

I accidentally set the MP10 to full blast in the 8 gallon for 2-3 seconds. Lets just say the clownfish wasn't too happy about it.

As of right now, it's running reefcrest @ 32%. I'd even venture to set it higher, but it was making a hole in a sand at 40%. All my corals are happy and open still; in fact, my acans have more polyp extension! Wohoo.

lol I have this mental image of a cartoon clownfish being blown all over the tank

That's actually exactly what happened.

Flow knocked over one of my zoa frags too; good thing they're opening back up again.

I feel like I'm gonna shoot someone.

1) It's so cold here in Iowa that my paint/primer layers take 3-4 days to dry before I can even think about sanding the stand.

2) I've been stuck on a nitrite spike for the past 3 weeks with no sign of it ending.

Woman-pulling-out-hair2.gif

download.jpgtumblr_lquxe3B5AQ1qjywvlo1_400.jpgGuess what happened last night.

PSA: Moonlights do not prevent your fish from jumping.

I suspect that either my MP10 kicked out of night mode and freaked out Mr. Clowny, or he was just a stupid clownfish. On second thought, probably the latter.

AFTER 5 LONG WEEKS OF CYCLING:

atlas3.liftoff.gif

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

Time to commence a water change and my livestock transfer. Seeing how my only fish jumped, I'm going to transfer all of the livestock at once because of their low bioload.

ALL MY EQUIPMENT: SET UP

ALL MY LIVESTOCK: TRANSFERED

Needs to be completed:

-Glue my frags to their appropriate positions.

-Order frogspawn and GSP

-Upload video and pictures

I do have to note, this turned out muuuuch better than I expected. I now firmly believe that the key to a clean, modern-looking reef is going rimless with a clear background.

Also, I got myself an emerald crab two days ago in a desperate attempt to deal with my hair algae issue (it slowly spreading again).

The moment the emerald hit the water, he hid himself under a rock. Then, to my pleasant surprise, he stuck his claw out and began to pull clawfuls of hair algae off of my rocks! So far, he's even attempted to eat bryopsis! I think I might have hit gold with this emerald.

We need some pics!

Even better, here's a quick vid I shot yesterday while setting the tank up! Please ignore the scattered frags & tangled wire mess. I hope to have everything done by tonight.

Even better, here's a quick vid I shot yesterday while setting the tank up! Please ignore the scattered frags & tangled wire mess. I hope to have everything done by tonight.

Nice! Scape looks great. It's going to have a very clean look with the lilly pipes. I did a 3G a couple of years back with lilly pipes and really like that look. I had trouble keeping such a small tank stable and ended up closing it down. 6G should be much easier. Following!

My emerald only comes out at night now? It was out all the time before, but lately Barry is a night owl. Kind of stinks because I like watching the little dude(tte?).

Nice! Scape looks great. It's going to have a very clean look with the lilly pipes. I did a 3G a couple of years back with lilly pipes and really like that look. I had trouble keeping such a small tank stable and ended up closing it down. 6G should be much easier. Following!

Thanks! I can't wait to mount all the corals in their respective places.

Fingers crossed! What exactly did you have trouble keeping stable? Salinity, nitrates, etc? This way, I can be on the lookout for fluctuating parameters too.

My emerald only comes out at night now? It was out all the time before, but lately Barry is a night owl. Kind of stinks because I like watching the little dude(tte?).

My emerald is a night owl too. He's currently snuggled right underneath my green ricordea, sticking his claw out once in a while in search of hair algae.

Archived