Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Natalia's Nuvo 8 Zoa Garden...RETIRED!

natalia_la_loca

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
natalia_la_loca

Im finding that zoas and palys are more finicky than my hard to keep stuff.

Playing with the idea of a zoa paly only tank.

Having 2 types of nasty zoa pests that ride on through CoralRx and Revive dips, no good for my main display system.

Anyway keep this thread posted so we can follow your successes.

The ironic thing is, I've always had trouble with zoas and palys in my seahorse tank...they lose color, fail to reproduce, often melt away. (On the other hand, hitchhiker button polyps grow like weeds there.) The z's/p's that I transferred to the nano have plumped up and colored up more than I ever would have expected.

Time will tell...I've only had the nano set up for a couple of months. Even during that short time, things have emerged (bryopsis, hydroids, aiptasia) that could have ruined the tank if left alone.

natalia_la_loca

And another update: Early last week I started dosing Korallenzucht Sponge Power, as I've read anecdotes that z's/p's respond well to it. I'm adding one drop, twice a week, in addition to the weekly feeding of Coral Frenzy and Aquavitro Fuel.

natalia_la_loca

Here's an updated pic of the recovering fire & ice zoas. I decided to let them rest for a couple of days before the next glue assault.

post-83370-0-15016000-1394548664_thumb.jpg

To the left is my vice zoa colony, looking happy to be alive. Those brown palys below the vice zoas look like crap by day, but their spots glow orange under actinics. Which is really pretty, but I probably still wouldn't have bought them if I'd known what they looked like under daylights. At least they were cheap. [Edit: Apparently these palys are called Pandora and are invasive. So I'm probably going to move them to the seahorse tank...they are nowhere near attractive enough for me to want a tank full of them]

And just above the vice zoas is a little spot of something brown that looks like diatoms are coming to pay me a visit. Thinking maybe I'll go down to one drop of Sponge Power a week and Coral Frenzy every two weeks, right before the water change.

natalia_la_loca

Last night I removed the pandoras from the scape. I had wedged them between some rocks without any glue, but in the three weeks since I got them, they had already spread and attached to the rockwork. They were pretty bent out of shape by the time I got them out, but within a couple of hours, they were fully open. I'm glad I removed them when I did.

I can't see any place in the seahorse tank where I'd really like to have the pandoras taking over, so for now I'll keep them isolated on the sandbed in the nano.

Here are the bad girls about half an hour after I pulled them from the rocks

post-83370-0-64273200-1394636327_thumb.jpg

And just for fun, here are my seahorses spending some quality time together...the red one looks fat because she was about to drop eggs.

post-83370-0-22503700-1394636331_thumb.jpg

Nanofreak79

Looking good, keep those uglies :) just keep them away from the rocks. They look like they have a cool speckle pattern? At least there not poop brown!

I know, can't wait for them to get here! *jumping up and down* :haha:
I'm watching out my window now....now.....again? Wher ethe hell are my zoas?
natalia_la_loca

Looking good, keep those uglies :) just keep them away from the rocks. They look like they have a cool speckle pattern? At least there not poop brown!

Yeah, I'll figure out a good place for them. They have a really nice speckle pattern that fluoresces yellow/orange under actinics. They just don't look very sexy by day.

I'm watching out my window now....now.....again? Where the hell are my zoas?

So jealous that you're getting your order today :) I asked Darwin to postpone sending my order to next week because we just got a snowstorm...grumble grumble

natalia_la_loca

wheres da new coral at!!?

Not coming till next week <_< Bad weather. Hate winter. Did I mention I hate winter?

natalia_la_loca

I thought it was some "light snow." LOL :D

We had at least six inches of snow last night...probably closer to eight. As super impatient as I am, I'm sooooo glad we postponed the shipment!!!

natalia_la_loca

had no idea you had seahorses either...

I do :wub: Have had them for almost a year now in my other tank. One of these days I'll start a thread about it. It's a weird system...it was my first reef tank, so I made loads of noob mistakes that I'm still working around. It's doing okay overall, though.

Following.. Very impressive. All kinds of good ideas that I can use for my Nuvo 8..

natalia_la_loca

i had them once.

failed

Me too. The first time I had seahorses, they lasted about four months.

This time I've got a much bigger/better skimmer and have been dosing a probiotic that is used and recommended by a seahorse breeder. I also use an oxydator in my tank, which slowly breaks down hydrogen peroxide to release oxygen in the water to break down waste matter more efficiently. So far, so good.

natalia_la_loca

what is it with woman and seahorses.. i just dont understand

Seahorses are CUTE, that's what :wub: I just want to hug them! (I don't though)

natalia_la_loca

so are angler fish but you dont see girls all over them Scratch-Head.gif

Every fish is beautiful in its own way. But only seahorses look like little ponies with big eyes :P

Every fish is beautiful in its own way. But only seahorses look like little ponies with big eyes :P

WHAT IS IT WITH GIRLS AND PONYS

natalia_la_loca

WHAT IS IT WITH GIRLS AND PONYS

Ponies are cute and cuddly and friendly ;) At least sometimes they are...

Ponies are cute and cuddly and friendly ;) At least sometimes they are...

<_< try to cuddle with one and watch it kick to crap out of you. now is it still cuddly?

natalia_la_loca

<_< try to cuddle with one and watch it kick to crap out of you. now is it still cuddly?

lol...I did say SOMETIMES ;)

Seahorses aren't really all that cuddly either. They're just kind of spiky. Honestly, holding a live seahorse is not all that different from holding a dried seahorse, except that the live ones are wiggly. And seahorse poops are gigantic and disgusting.

BUT THEY'RE STILL ADORABLE :wub: :wub: :wub:

In other news, my rastas opened two new polyps last night :)

Archived