inTank Media Baskets

Red Turf Algae?

dmolavi

Is the red hairy stuff in the attached image red turf algae?

If it is...my tank is a 20 gallon with 2 clowns and a hi-fin goby (plus a pistol and cleaner shrimp). Would the addition of a mexican turbo or tuxedo urchin be too much? If so, what would be the best alternative way to get rid of this stuff? I don't want to kill my zoa colony by scrubbing it with a wire brush.

Water params as of last night:

pH: 8.1

SG: 1.025

NitrAte: 0.1

NitrIte: 0.00

Ammonia: 0.00

Phosphate: 0.00

Ca: 440

Mg: 1560

Thanks in advance.

post-82671-0-85770900-1392734221_thumb.jpg

not on the zo's, just apply straight undiluted 3% to the algae only

wait three mins cooking

rinse off well, put back in, takes 7 days to die. on day 3 it will look like it didn't work, then w turn hot pink. dies between days 5-7

so instead of using weak peroxide to contact non targets, you use full peroxide and contact no nontargets and zap only the algae. dipping is second best, applying only to the target is 1st option

Not saying Brandon429 is wrong as a pull peroxide would work better, but it looks like the turf is getting in between Zoa.

full strength for areas you can get to and then dip would be my suggestion.

Yeah, it's intertwined in there...so I'll do the dip, as I was able to pull off the bulk of the exposed stuff, but I can still see it hiding underneath (that photo is from before my "pruning" attempt).

zoanthids are so tough it prob wont matter

I rate them single strongest animals in our tanks regarding any form or peroxide its just better habit to wait on dips if the first option doesn't work

but if you dipped these, I think no harm will come. red algae are tougher than green you'll see, which is why its a 7 day kill vs 2

so if your dilution is too low it just might not work but theres always time to redo no probs

post update pics pm me the link if I miss them I really like to link up peroxide cures to our thread, for reference

I finally got around to doing this last night. I made sure the zoas were closed up, then did the dip for about 2 minutes. I rinsed in clean water and placed them back in the tank. After a little while, the zoas all opened again, and the red hair/turf looked like it was standing up, so hopefully it's on the way out. I will post a pic in a few days to show progress.

Archived