Cultivated Reef

Saltie Gal

I just got this maxima clam two days ago. Although he has begun to attach to the small rock I placed under him, he has not fully extended his mantle - only to the edge.

Does he look ok? If so, how long do I wait to begin raising him for more light? He is on the sand bed now. I have a Razor LED that has everyone else fish and coral wise very happy.

Thanks for your help!

post-83470-0-70636100-1392671773_thumb.jpg

To be honest, I cannot believe the "new" life that is coming on my rock. I pulled some small ones out of the sump to create ledges for my new sps frag craze. Before getting this light I had 6 T5s with AI bulbs. I was happy with the light, but when the ballast went I decided to look into leds again. Having a corner tank is a real pain but this light sits on there well.

Not too long after getting the tank acclimated to the new light, my new ledge started springing a baby birds nest coral which is taking off like I cannot believe! I just lost a beautiful purple one about 4 months ago due to stupidity. To have one grow off the rock it pretty awesome. My corals are very happy.

Hi !!! Clam is not fully extending, but i dont think your light has anything to do with it. Your tank may be low in nutrients. Clams like traces of phosphates and a little nitrate, and organic fish waste. Nice job on the seriotopora's !

Thanks, Zeph. I think today he is opening a little more - not fully yet. I have not had this with the other clams I have had, so I was getting nervous. This is the first clam I have had with led. Now that I read the articles, I had one crocea for over a year. Up high on the rock with t5. I remember doing a turkey baster of my rock not thinking it would be a problem and within three days he was dead! Then I tried smaller maxima but I think it had PM based on the pix I see here and what I remember.

I will wait a few more days and start raising this one up toward the light more. He is attached to a piece of small rock I placed under him. That should be enough time to wait, right?

Yeah, the birdsnest - is that a riot or what! I love this light and hope clammy likes it. I have seen the posts of others with led, so I feel good it will be ok.

I shut off my rowa reactor two days ago. I think I am no longer going to run it 24-7 so hopefully that will help then. Perhaps only run it a few days a week so things do not get out of balance to much.

Thanks, Zeph. I think today he is opening a little more - not fully yet. I have not had this with the other clams I have had, so I was getting nervous. This is the first clam I have had with led. Now that I read the articles, I had one crocea for over a year. Up high on the rock with t5. I remember doing a turkey baster of my rock not thinking it would be a problem and within three days he was dead! Then I tried smaller maxima but I think it had PM based on the pix I see here and what I remember.

I will wait a few more days and start raising this one up toward the light more. He is attached to a piece of small rock I placed under him. That should be enough time to wait, right?

Yeah, the birdsnest - is that a riot or what! I love this light and hope clammy likes it. I have seen the posts of others with led, so I feel good it will be ok.

I shut off my rowa reactor two days ago. I think I am no longer going to run it 24-7 so hopefully that will help then. Perhaps only run it a few days a week so things do not get out of balance to much.

A crocea for a year is a very good accomplishment !!! Good idea on the phosphate remover.

Archived