Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with my white sebae anemone please!

Itsmaddie88

I got this white sebae anemone yesterday from my local fish store. I have been doing some research on how to best take care of it. This is my first attempt at having an anemone. I can't tell if mine is healthy or not or if it is in a good location in my tank. It's tentacles are pretty short and I'm unsure if that is a bad sign or not. The sebae is an off white color and seems to have attached its self to the first rock I have put it on. Any advice? I attached a picture of the sebae so you can see if it looks to be alright.also will my clown fish host this kind if anemone?

I have a 40 tank 35 pounds of fiji rock with 5 hermit crabs, 5 bumble bee snails ,1 camel shrimp, 1 six line wrass, 1 green chromis, 1 flame angel, 1 blue tang(approx. 2 1/2 inch.), banned goby, and 2 clowns. Water temp is 83 because I was trying to get rid of the ich my blue tang had it has been gone now for 4 weeks so I'm slowly lowering the temp right now to 75

post-83552-0-75631100-1392632002_thumb.jpg

Its bleached, it should be a shade of brown or gray. This means its expelled its symbiotic algae it uses for photosynthesis and getting energy. This usually happens in ahipping with this species. I recommend feeding it mysis or krill every 3 days or so until it gets its color back.

Your temperature at 75 is kind of low but within range this species is found. I stay at 80 in my anemone tanks. I know you are ridding things of ich but be careful.

This anemone will want to be down low either in the sand or anchored to a rock at the sand rock interface. I don't recommend moving it yourself but it will probably end up there. Or move that whole rock to the sand.

Also the tentacles being short is fine but they will eventually be long when it gets larger.

Some clownfish will reside in it. I had A. Occ host one before.

The sebae has moved down to the sand today and attached itself to a new rock. I touched it to see if its tentacles were sticky and they were a little. So far I had put brine shrimp in the tank and i have been using microvert every three days.i have some shrimp I will feed him tonight. How do I feel him the shrimp so I just lay it on the sebaes mouth?

Thank you so much for your help

I had a sebae for 4 years that I purchased from Petco. It was really white the day I purchased it. After a while it turned a grey color and grew a bunch. At the time I had a 250w metal halide with cfls. I fed it silver sides and salad shrimp. It decided to eat a few of my fish and a starfish that fell off the glass. I kept my tank warmer. My female clownfish hosted it. It almost split right before I had a tank disaster and it died.

Good luck!

I'm going to have to cut some the shrimp up it is too big. How long does it take to get them to show color. I also bought mine from petco. I not know if you can tell in the picture but he is a really light baige color does that mean he will start to show color soon if kept in good conditions?

Yes,it will. They keep them under lights that are not going to benefit corals and anemones. Its my understanding that the longer they stay at the store the closer they get to dying. I put mine into a 3 year old reef and within a month it started to look much darker. Clowns will often help the anemone unless its not doing well, they could stress it also.

Here is a pic from a while ago of it eating my sand sifter.

http://www.nano-reef.com/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-37671-1234641029_thumb.jpg

These aren't easy nems to keep. Its well being depends on good water quality, placement, feeding, light and time you dedicate to understand its needs. Less mobile then most but probably harder to keep alive then bta.

Archived