Coral Vue Hydros

Chris' 40B

Chris!

Shoot a pic with a really wide angle lens up close so we can get a sense of depth then lol.

18mm work ya think?.... my P&S nikon is a 4.5 but the quality is lacking.. everything so far has been phone shot, haven't pulled out the DSLR yet lol

Also, just put some absurdly tall growing leather or a giant frogspawn colony in the top right or left and something small on the other side to give the same effect.

There will be no leathers going into this tank, I've never had good results with mixing leathers w/ acros and don't really like to run carbon. Softies will be limited to z/p's and possibly a few shrooms.... Also, I am going to do something alot of people don't do with a tank this size and likely start entirely w/ frags rather then mini colonies or colonies, a big part of the fun for me has always been actually growing corals out rather then buying large pieces. I do plan on putting in a couple torches that I already have and a hammer or two may eventually make their way as well. Placement hasn't really been decided yet tho, but will likely be on one of the far sides, or possibly even opposing corners.

Also the middle foreground is begging for a bigass blue or red carpet nem lol.

a fish eater, no no no lol There will be something decent sized and obscenely bright making its way to the mid-front tho ;)

Scape is looking really good. I like all the swimming channels and places for coral to grow out of. Overall very natural feel. The only thing that breaks that feel is the far right, middle rock. Something about it looks unfinished. Maybe the 'line' it points out seems overly horizontal where all the other shapes flow.

Thank you! Yeah there is a ton of swimming channels, caves, and crevices for the fish. I definitely agree the right still isn't perfect, yet not totally sure its off enough to worry about trying to fix as it will eventually just be covered in coral anyway lol I might cement it together like the other two sections which might help hide some of the "lines" of the rocks, and make it a little easier to work with as I won't be so worried about trying to balance it without worrying about it smacking into the side of the tank :wacko:

All sounds pretty good to me. One last what-if for you to weigh in on. Do you think the two flashers could get along if the clowns confined them to the left 24" of swim space? I worry the flashers might not share the space well or transfer the aggression to the tailspot blenny. My backup thought is the smallest leopard wrasse if another flasher isn't going to work.

Yes, tho the clowns shouldn't be much bother for the considerably faster flashers who will likely dart around regardless of what the clowns want especially after they are settled in ;) If you want a leopard get it at the same time as the flasher. Heck get 2 flashers and a leopard, the current guy won't know what to do and if he has a problem with the new additions it will break up the aggression and give 2 a break while one gets chased around lol I know some say to not add multiple fish into a smaller system but if you don't increase feedings overnight your system should handle it just fine. Sure more fish = more waste/ higher bioload as most feed more the more fish they get so if you slowly increase feeding sizes or add a 2nd smaller feeding and gradually increase it you minimize that increase IMO.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya, been thinking about the upgrade- pretty sure it's gonna be a large cube- 80 or 90 gal. probably- thinking about the LED/t5 combo - get the best of both worlds. Does nano box build those from scratch?

Ya, been thinking about the upgrade- pretty sure it's gonna be a large cube- 80 or 90 gal. probably- thinking about the LED/t5 combo - get the best of both worlds. Does nano box build those from scratch?

80-90g cube will be sick man!

I really don't know much about nano-box other then that they will retro old fixtures and make them bad ass.

80-90g cube will be sick man!

I really don't know much about nano-box other then that they will retro old fixtures and make them bad ass.

I should start a dialogue with them and see what my option are- figure the tank will only be 32 or 36" in width I want something booming with light and controllable- really like the idea of the combo. SCaquarium makes a cool 80 and 90 cube. The 90 has the euro bracing around it- which I really like- any draw backs with that rim that you experience with yours.

I should start a dialogue with them and see what my option are-

The look like some sweet units from the few I've seen and he does custom work from what I've heard. Definitely worth checkin out!

figure the tank will only be 32 or 36" in width I want something booming with light and controllable- really like the idea of the combo. SCaquarium makes a cool 80 and 90 cube.

I'd go with the 36" for more lighting options and 3' t5s if you run a hybrid.....

The 90 has the euro bracing around it- which I really like- any draw backs with that rim that you experience with yours.

I like the look, but it does get condensation on it that kinda hangs around on the bottom side of the bracing.

Yes they do.Hey Chris, should wrasses be added before or after anthias?

Cool- thanks- I'll have to start a dialogue for a future upgrade?

Anything new with the tank?

Nope, I haven't even hardly looked at it in 2 days. Started ripping out the kitchen, cut out the old backsplash and found out there was no insulation in the kitchen walls at all so ended up taking it down to studs and insulating it and redrywalling the whole thing. So instead of installing the countertop and backsplash tomorrow, we are finally putting the new cabinets in...... I just got done tape and mudding the seams at 3:30 am LOL..... but once the kitchen is done I plan to build the canopy and get that stained and installed.... hopefully sometime next week I will be able to put a couple test pieces in.

Hey Chris, should wrasses be added before or after anthias?

Depends on the wrasses, and the anthias. 90% of the time I'd say anthias 1st tho...... which ones are you thinking about adding?

Hey chris, what did you use to start your cycle since our dry rock is pretty clean?

I've thrown a tonnnnnnnnnn of old DIY food in as well as some MB7. Still considering ordering a bottle of Dr. Tims one and only as well tho....

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally put the canopy together. I am pretty sure I am just going to put a couple coats of gloss black paint on it rather then doing all the staining and clear coating....

Did you ever ck out that Doc's Eco Eggs Brew food?

Yeah I haven't ordered any yet I have a ton of other foods still but I will likely give it a shot eventually. It looks like it would be pretty good. :)

How your cycle man?

No idea really, never tested for a cycle before.... I am planning to prime the canopy tonight and get it painted over the next day or two then will put a couple things in to see how they fare lol

that is blue.

Scape looks good to me. I always thought it was funny to see people really try to get the rock to look incredible only to realize... you still have to place corals and that's really what make the scape work. Think you nailed a good base for a mixed reef. I can already see fuzzy sticks poking out in different directions and i nice layout of LPS down lower. You've even got some good spots for plating corals to fill in the edges. Can't wait.

Depends on the wrasses, and the anthias. 90% of the time I'd say anthias 1st tho...... which ones are you thinking about adding?

Resplendent anthias although lyretail are calling out to me. And a harem of wrasses, with a flasher - maybe mkcoskers or carpenter.

I have a 6 line already in the tank so that makes the wrasse situation iffy. I also want a possum or pygmy wrasse.

that is blue.

Its just the blue leds no whites or colors :lol:

Scape looks good to me. I always thought it was funny to see people really try to get the rock to look incredible only to realize... you still have to place corals and that's really what make the scape work.

Thanks man! I agree to an extent on people sometimes focusing to much on the scape, but there is a point where the scape does play into how the tank looks as it matures and plays a huge role in coral placement as well so it is IMO fairly important to have a well thought out appealing scape as well..... just don't over think it. I will admit tho this is the longest I spent on planning out the scape, mostly because I did the whole mortar thing and most are permanent so I had to make sure they provided good coral placement. That said, the left structure I literally just stacked and mortared how it went together on the 1st shot. The middle I tried 2 different rocks and was happy.... the right side I am still considering redoing and mortaring together but I probably wont....

Think you nailed a good base for a mixed reef. I can already see fuzzy sticks poking out in different directions and i nice layout of LPS down lower. You've even got some good spots for plating corals to fill in the edges. Can't wait.

Thanks :) Yeah there will be some sticks eventually for sure along the tip ridge, initally tho I am going to focus on the lower half make sure things are stable for a while and doing good then start hunting for some sticks.

any update pics?

I had the nikon out the other night but haven't had a chance to get em on the comp. havent even been around here last few days been busy working on finishing off the kitchen before tomorrow.... almost done, gotta seal the grout on all the tile, and put the last few hinges on then the kitchen is finally done.

Here is an absolutely horrible phone shot (thing really hates blue leds...)

IMAG1174_1_zpswys9q7ck.jpg

And here is a shot of the pup (6 months, 108 lbs now....)

IMAG1176_zpsmllazkre.jpg

Hopefully after New years I will be able to goof off on here more like I need to :lol:

Merry Christmas everybody incase I'm not back around before then :wacko:

Sweet! heavy on the actinics- hahahaha- your doggy is huge- look at those legs! Merry X-mas

Yeah its not entirely that blue IRL but definitely on the blue side enough the phone cant handle it LOL

Yeah the pup is HUGE, she is around 27" at the shoulder already as well. Looking at different dogs between both her breeds and their typical growth she is off the charts for her age.... hell she is getting real close to being breed standard size a full grown adult of either breed already, with 1.5-2.5 yrs more of growth to go :o

I added in a few more pieces of coral tonight as well, I'll try to get some new pics up in the next few days!

Archived