Cultivated Reef

Chris' 40B

Chris!

Yay, the Rubbermaid will soon be no more.

Now thats what I'm sayin!!!! :) Later today I will start moving some rock over and see how everything does for a few days, and I plan to bring the fish over by the weekend.

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! Looking good so far .. Whereabouts in Michigan? Grand Rapids here & finally getting back into the hobby - Bellas Reef on MR

Thanks, I am from Flint. Glad too see you're getting back in. :)

Do ya have a list of wrasses your going with yet?

U know me, it will consist of what sounds good lol

As long as everything goes smooth with the transition, as far as wrasses go there will be a pair of hoodeds, solorensis female, and 1 potters (pretty sure my F is turning/is now M) coming over from the rubbermaid they are in now.

lessergeneration

Thanks, I am from Flint. Glad too see you're getting back in. :)

U know me, it will consist of what sounds good lol

As long as everything goes smooth with the transition, as far as wrasses go there will be a pair of hoodeds, solorensis female, and 1 potters (pretty sure my F is turning/is now M) coming over from the rubbermaid they are in now.

yeah, figures haha. Moby's has a tamarin wrasse in you should pick up for the low price of $1,000!

Interested in your PVC light rack. Do you have any snaps handy of it?

Here is a side shot:

20140209_093612_zpseklj8vp3.jpg

I wanted something basic, yet functional. I've seen people make them out of conduit, other metals and wood so figured why not PVC, it is light but fairly strong, cheap, and I had some extra laying around. It is just a couple sticks running vertical into a 45degree elbow into a short length (that will put the light over the center of the tank) into a 90 degree elbow that connects the piece that will actually hold the light to the other side. I sprayed it metallic black and attached it to the back with a couple of 3/4" conduit brackets.... I think altogether if I had to buy everything it would have been maybe $5 ($10 if you include the paint lol).

yeah, figures haha. Moby's has a tamarin wrasse in you should pick up for the low price of $1,000!

They will kill it before it finds a home probably :( If the tank was ready and the wife wouldn't kill me I'd almost consider it lol

Thats average price for them tho really... I am assuming its a female right?

I like how the white trim on the bottom blends right in with the sand, if it wasn't for the top rim, I don't think I would have even noticed there was bottom trim.

If I ever de-rim my pico.. I am going to have to paint the bottom rim white.

I like how the white trim on the bottom blends right in with the sand, if it wasn't for the top rim, I don't think I would have even noticed there was bottom trim.

If I ever de-rim my pico.. I am going to have to paint the bottom rim white.

Yeah the top trim does definitely stand out (although in the room it does blend a little more), but it looks way better in a nice clean white then the stock dingy black IMO. :) If it wasn't for my wrasse addiction you wouldn't notice a top rim as I would have definitely went rimless.... but putting a mesh top on a rimless IMO takes away from the rimless look even if you can find a way to have it minimally obvious.

Hopefully once it gets filling in you won't notice either trim as the contents will hopefully be distracting enough ;) lol

Petco called me and said the other 40B I have been waiting almost a month for finally arrived, so I went to go pick it up and the seal was junk (whoever build it ran their finger through the silicone as it was drying basically), so instead of waiting another week or more I just had them refund me on the 40 and picked up 2 20longs instead.... so I have 1 extra 40B and 3 20longs now.... LOL

Not much else going on right now, added a few pieces of LR and 2 test mollies. Spent about 17 seconds throwing the scape together but not finalized yet as I have a couple pieces of LR that will come over when the fish do so not really anything new worth taking pics of since it will change....

Petco called me and said the other 40B I have been waiting almost a month for finally arrived, so I went to go pick it up and the seal was junk (whoever build it ran their finger through the silicone as it was drying basically), so instead of waiting another week or more I just had them refund me on the 40 and picked up 2 20longs instead.... so I have 1 extra 40B and 3 20longs now.... LOL

Not much else going on right now, added a few pieces of LR and 2 test mollies. Spent about 17 seconds throwing the scape together but not finalized yet as I have a couple pieces of LR that will come over when the fish do so not really anything new worth taking pics of since it will change....

You could post a pic of the stockpile of glass.......

You could post a pic of the stockpile of glass.......

And I thought I liked pics lol Maybe I'll grab one later, they are all just chillin in the basement until I figure out what to do with them. The screw up and switching from a 40 to 2x20's kinda screwed me up, I was going to run 2x40B off a shared 20l sump..... 3x20s off a 40 sump, 2x20 off a 20 sump, get another 20 and do a 40+20 system..... oh the possibilities lol.

Dayum, this sik tank is wet, locked and loaded! Digging that magnetic rock piece! Dat diy light hanger is also saweet! I know your a acro man, and you have cherry taste in sticks, so i can't wait to watch this one develop. Congrats Chris!

Dayum, this sik tank is wet, locked and loaded! Digging that magnetic rock piece! Dat diy light hanger is also saweet! I know your a acro man, and you have cherry taste in sticks, so i can't wait to watch this one develop. Congrats Chris!

Thanks man, its an honor to have someone with your caliber tanks even view my thread let alone consider paying any attention to it, I really appreciate the kind words!!!

I've got some big plans that will definitely allow this tank to be well stocked with some hot acros as well as some other goodies.... and even with my planned island scape there will certainly be plenty of room for acros ;)

Thanks man, its an honor to have someone with your caliber tanks even view my thread let alone consider paying any attention to it, I really appreciate the kind words!!!

I've got some big plans that will definitely allow this tank to be well stocked with some hot acros as well as some other goodies.... and even with my planned island scape there will certainly be plenty of room for acros ;)

Please bro your gonna get me kicked/hated off this forum with speak like that,lol But it's appreciated bro! Man my tanks looked like caca in the beginning. Alot of trial and error and learning from some real OG NR peeps showed me the way. Your's is already off to a better start than any of mine were that early! Can't wait to see your kandy choices in here, i know you don't have a eye for the boo boo stuff, so it's gonna look like a gumball machine up in thur when your done im sure.

Please bro your gonna get me kicked/hated off this forum with speak like that,lol But it's appreciated bro! Man my tanks looked like caca in the beginning. Alot of trial and error and learning from some real OG NR peeps showed me the way. Your's is already off to a better start than any of mine were that early! Can't wait to see your kandy choices in here, i know you don't have a eye for the boo boo stuff, so it's gonna look like a gumball machine up in thur when your done im sure.

Maybe, but haters gon hate. Anyone that knows me knows I tell it how it is and call it how I see it good, bad or ugly.... and ur tanks damn good bro!

This is the begining for this tank, but I have actually been reefing for about 5 years (and have pimped alot of fish/coral at the LFS when I helped out there so it could even stay open...) so I've learned alot along the way and am able to skip some of the mistakes (hopefully) and really rock this tank. I am always trying to learn and improve the way I do things and don't plan to ever change on that aspect...

I plan to be pretty picky when selecting pieces for this system. I don't plan on putting any of the "weedy" types in here at all, so no gsp, xenia, or even digi and birdsnest (etc. etc. etc....). And I also plan to pick pieces for not only their colors but their growth structure. Other then that my main plans are to focus on smaller frags, and enjoy taking the time and putting in the effort to watch them grow.... oh yeah and have fun :)

Here is a pic of my last tank before the seem blew out, I plan to take where I was going with this tank and build/ improve on it:

IMAG0458_zpsc8531494.jpg

Been pretty busy lately, but everything is doing good. I hope to get everything moved over tomorrow.... then I will clean out the old fish room and figure out something with all these other tanks :) Sorry Jack haven't had a chance to go down and take a pic, but they are just standard empty 3x20g long and an empty 40B with cardboard on em so nothing spectacular.... :wacko:

Been pretty busy lately, but everything is doing good. I hope to get everything moved over tomorrow.... then I will clean out the old fish room and figure out something with all these other tanks :) Sorry Jack haven't had a chance to go down and take a pic, but they are just standard empty 3x20g long and an empty 40B with cardboard on em so nothing spectacular.... :wacko:

<_<

.....how 'bout some f'n fishies?

<_<

.....how 'bout some f'n fishies?

After they get in the 40B and settled in a little there will be fish pics... so probably Sunday. With the wrasses I try to keep things calm and less stressful for a little while, I won't even turn the lights on til Sunday or Monday. ;)

After they get in the 40B and settled in a little there will be fish pics... so probably Sunday. With the wrasses I try to keep things calm and less stressful for a little while, I won't even turn the lights on til Sunday or Monday. ;)

Sounds good man. Waiting......

Sounds good man. Waiting......

Wait no more!!!!!! I went fishing, and hung the light..... And since the fish were acting pretty damn good with the move I decided to turn the light on and grab a quick phone pic:

IMG_20140222_164906_zpsomj7y2el.jpg

I still need to organize wires, remove the temporary heater, work on cleaning up the neglected rock, clean the glass, and hook up the AC Jr. Still on the fence about running bio-pellets but with 9 fish already and wanting a few more + having SPS it is likely I will need to eventually LOL

I didn't wanna mess with them to much because eventho they did all handle it pretty good I didn't want to stress them much today.... But tomorrow or Monday I will try to get some decent fish shots with the DSLR if I get a chance.

Forgot to post up this side shot earlier, not the greatest and just a phone shot but it gives you an idea of the height of the light over the tank and whatnot:

IMG_20140222_164639_zpsvmupgimm.jpg

Archived