ReefCleaners.org

Chris' 40B

Chris!

try it some time, I have a ton of sand dwellers you would be surprised what comes out

I've completely changed sand during up/down grades and never been to bad ;)

I feed fairly heavy but I stagger it out through the day (2-4x) so theres never a ton that really goes in at one time to minimize the waste... and I run skimmers for like 3-4 times the volume :)

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought stirring the sand released naughty toxins guess was informed incorrectly

I keep a half inch sand bed, nothing anaerobic going on there. Now if it were a DSB, definitely a bad idea.

I feed fairly heavy but I stagger it out through the day (2-4x) so theres never a ton that really goes in at one time to minimize the waste... and I run skimmers for like 3-4 times the volume :)

Yeh the overpowered skimmer is important lol. Im running a skimz 181 and its rated more for the 90-120 range for normal use.

Anytime I do a 'deep cleaning', I stir up and siphon my entire sandbed, and if the rocks are easily moved, I'll get what is under them, as well, and I've never had any kind of issue doing that. The 'anaerobic buildup' of things like hydrogen sulfide, etc, are mostly myth, especially in sandbeds less than a couple of inches deep.

The vast majority of food that fish take in is put right back out as waste, they are terribly inefficient at processing what they eat, especially planktivores that have no real stomach, so it's best to just assume 100% of what you put in is going to 'rot' no matter what. :)

Anytime I do a 'deep cleaning', I stir up and siphon my entire sandbed, and if the rocks are easily moved, I'll get what is under them, as well, and I've never had any kind of issue doing that. The 'anaerobic buildup' of things like hydrogen sulfide, etc, are mostly myth, especially in sandbeds less than a couple of inches deep.

The vast majority of food that fish take in is put right back out as waste, they are terribly inefficient at processing what they eat, especially planktivores that have no real stomach, so it's best to just assume 100% of what you put in is going to 'rot' no matter what. :)

was it chad that said he never fed the corals directly he just stirred up detritus on a regular basis in his old bowfront? Either way I feel like lots of unused nutrients get recycled that way.

I keep a half inch sand bed, nothing anaerobic going on there. Now if it were a DSB, definitely a bad idea.

Same here I run around an inch, just enough to come up to the top of the bottom trim....

Yeh the overpowered skimmer is important lol. Im running a skimz 181 and its rated more for the 90-120 range for normal use.

Definitely, especially with SPS if you like to feed.

Anytime I do a 'deep cleaning', I stir up and siphon my entire sandbed, and if the rocks are easily moved, I'll get what is under them, as well, and I've never had any kind of issue doing that.

Your crazy, that sounds too much like work LOL. Whenever I'd do anything to the sand it would just blow the sand around, so I stopped doing it. If it works for you to do all that tho more power to ya man :)

just assume 100% of what you put in is going to 'rot' no matter what. :)

Or get sucked out with the skimmer, or become coral/ invert food lol

Spent another 10 minutes playing with rocks..... wife approved.... but will likely make a few changes or completely redo it 100 times before the tank gets here lol

DSC_0237_zps871f7ba5.jpg

DSC_0235_zpsb5b1be19.jpg

Spent another 10 minutes playing with rocks..... wife approved.... but will likely make a few changes or completely redo it 100 times before the tank gets here lol

DSC_0237_zps871f7ba5.jpg

DSC_0235_zpsb5b1be19.jpg

I like the structure to the right....the one on the left looks like a heart :wub:

I like the structure to the right....

Me too..... In the top pic you can see the base in the back between the 2 front areas, it is open under both sides of that rock until it meets the structure on the front left of that section to give a nice open look/ plenty of swimming space/ shaded overhang, while offering a nice place for coral ;)

It is hard to capture the depth of this thing but it is kinda crazy in person. The 3 structures on the left side all look like a jumbled mess in the pics but they actually look pretty good in person. I may get rid of the middle/ front stucture on the left side and pull the island in the actual middle of the back area forward like 6" as I would still like to open it up a little more....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah! Its already here, just waiting for its new home.... Its actually one of 3 reallllly nice lobos I recently picked up :)

Is the eggcrate part of the :ninja: project? I feel like this is sneak peek...

Is the eggcrate part of the :ninja: project? I feel like this is sneak peek...

Yes it most certainly is..... Hopefully in about 2 weeks I will be able to fully take the wraps off the :ninja: project..... So far everything has been going really good fingerscrossed

Nice!!!

That will make Lawnman very happy!!

Thank you! It only took me about 50 tries to get that pic :wacko:

He'll have to come look before it can make him happy LOL

LPS I am subscribed :lol: now

I thought you might like that :)

Any word or teasers on the new tank? Mine is at the local Fedex hub :).

Nice, go pick it up!! lol No word yet, honestly I am hoping a couple more weeks still I need to get the oldest kids bedroom done (started tonight) and atleast the bathroom done before I can redo the livingroom and build the stand... that I still need to design lol

IMAG0876_1_1_zpswa0rksok.jpg

I can't capture this beast with the nikon for nothin, but the phone is getting pretty close color wise but the orange is still a bit bolder!!!

You have a fever posting all this LPS :)?

You have a fever posting all this LPS :)?

Never really been big on LPS until lately, you guys must be wearin off on me cuz I am liking them quite a bit right now. Even got a couple nice z/p's hangin around waiting for their photo session when they get out of QT.... I aint down with bein dirty ;)

Archived