Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' 40B

Chris!

Display: 40B w/ dual 1" drains, and 3/4" return drilled. White trim, w/ metallic blue to metallic black background

Sump: 20 gallon long

Return pump: quiet one 3000

Skimmer: SCA 302

ATO: JBJ ATO...)

Controller: old AC Jr as I don't need all the function/options of my RA on this tank with the MP40 + Radion :)

Heat: 100 watter

Powerheads: MP40

Light: Gen1 Radion, suspended from a custom DIY PVC light rack.

DSC_0475_zps3a3e424b.jpg

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSC_0474_zpsd1cff1fb.jpg

After a few days of letting the sand cloud settle and tossing some dry rock in this is where we sit. I plan to add some of my live rock to the display over the next couple days and figure out the scape.... No this is not the finished scape and it will get moved and changed up quite a bit before all is said and done. But I got to a point where I am ready to start documenting this system in its own thread.

Loving the trim but why dose it look like that one rock is floating? (sorry my eyes suck)

It isn't actually floating althought it does definitely appear that way. It is a magnetic rock from The Alternative Reef. :)

About time! What's on the back wall ...one of those mag rock things?

I know, been kinda crazy around here lately and I wanted to get the cloudiness under control incase I decided to just scrap this tank lol

Yeah, I am not 100% set on its location yet but that is exactly what it is :)

It isn't actually floating althought it does definitely appear that way. It is a magnetic rock from The Alternative Reef. :)

That's pretty awesome, time to start some gsp back there and watch it take off. tank is looking great.

That's pretty awesome, time to start some gsp back there and watch it take off. tank is looking great.

Thanks, it is a pretty cool piece that they came up with :) Nooooooooooooooo, this will be 10000% GSP free, no kenya trees or xenia either lol

The back itself will remain clean tho ;)

Thanks, it is a pretty cool piece that they came up with :) Nooooooooooooooo, this will be 10000% GSP free, no kenya trees or xenia either lol

The back itself will remain clean tho ;)

o_0 why none of those?

sounds like this is going to be a sps setup :)

Primarily, yes. I plan to have a more mixed reef then I have ever done, however it will still be acro dominated.... with a strong fish focus on wrasses.

Nice start Chris. I like the scape and the floating rock. I have a floating rock from The Alternative Reef as well. It's pretty sweet.

Thanks :) The scape is no where near complete right now as I have 50-75 lbs or live rock to sort through and decide what goes in and what gets put on the back burner until another project gets underway. The rock on the right side will keep its main form but will likely get a few pieces added and be moved around but pretty much the rest was just dropped into the tank lol

The AR rocks are really sweet, lots of good space for attaching corals as well. Mine isn't the frag station one so I can place coral anywhere on it too which for me is best.

Primarily, yes. I plan to have a more mixed reef then I have ever done, however it will still be acro dominated.... with a strong fish focus on wrasses.

Please tell me it will have a few zoa's... can't wait to see how all this turns out :3

Thanks :) The scape is no where near complete right now as I have 50-75 lbs or live rock to sort through and decide what goes in and what gets put on the back burner until another project gets underway. The rock on the right side will keep its main form but will likely get a few pieces added and be moved around but pretty much the rest was just dropped into the tank lol

The the AR rocks are really sweet, lots of good space for attach corals as well. Mine isn't the frag station one so I can place coral anywhere on it too which for me is best.

Ya, I have mine front and center with corals puttied and glued right to it. Not only is it good for the corals, but mine has a nice little cave that my midas blenny loves. It hangs out in between the sps, poking it's head out to say hi.

Please tell me it will have a few zoa's... can't wait to see how all this turns out :3

Yeah I will have some z/p's not sure how I will incorporate them just yet.... could be a few little z/p islands, or the lower regions of the acro islands. But I also plan to have some acans, blastos, a few chalices, some meat corals, and possibly some NPS as well.... and whatever else strikes my eye when I am searchin for new coral ;) It will be a pretty good variety if I can break my addiction to acros even a little lol

Ya, I have mine front and center with corals puttied and glued right to it. Not only is it good for the corals, but mine has a nice little cave that my midas blenny loves. It hangs out in between the sps, poking it's head out to say hi.

How is the midas with SPS, I've liked them for quite a while but I always see them perching/ hiding in the LFS and worry about them messin with my acros and trying to set up shop there instead of the rock lol

Damn, white trim looks SoTiGhT!

Following.

Thanks man, I did it on my last tank and loved it. The white trim just sets it off, and gives it a nice clean finished look IMO. It doesn't hurt that it fits well with the room and stand either tho.

How is the midas with SPS, I've liked them for quite a while but I always see them perching/ hiding in the LFS and worry about them messin with my acros and trying to set up shop there instead of the rock lol

I've never seen mine perch on SPS at all. It seems to either be swimming or peeking out of a hole. I don't think you have much to worry about with them perching in the branches of the SPS... unless you have no good holes to hang out in. It looks like you have some good midas hangout holes though. :D

I've never seen mine perch on SPS at all. It seems to either be swimming or peeking out of a hole. I don't think you have much to worry about with them perching in the branches of the SPS... unless you have no good holes to hang out in. It looks like you have some good midas hangout holes though. :D

Thanks man, good to know they are definitely a beautiful fish! If I don't run out of room with wrasses I will definitely consider one then. Once the scape is done there will be plenty of holes, caves, crevices, over hangs (all while being fairly open as well....) it wouldn't know what to do lol

Here is a quick video of the flow rippin across the 40B.

Sorry haven't been able to figure out how to embed the video to NR through flickr, and don't really feel like setting up a utube right now....

I like it.. the white trim looks nice, however I think it makes the tank look smaller, that doesn't look like a 40b to me.. I like the scape too, nice and open..

I like it.. the white trim looks nice, however I think it makes the tank look smaller, that doesn't look like a 40b to me.. I like the scape too, nice and open..

Naw its the dark looking background that makes it look smaller ;) Its not really that dark once I get the light moved over and you can actually see the back it will be better lol

Archived