Cultivated Reef

Hermit crab's shell turning bright white...

ScooobaSteve

So I'll get a photo or two up later but noticed that one of my blue legged hermits has undergone quite the transition from a "normal" colored shell to bright white. Did some googling and found reports of this that are water quality related (specifically low calc/mag) but I have a handful of crabs in the same 12g that aren't experiencing the same issue. Small, young tank so there's no chance this is a new crab that stuck in on a rock (I only used base rock to build this tank), and he didn't steal it from a snail as I would have noticed the bright white snail...

Anybody seen anything similar? I get lost in this tank daily so I'm pretty attuned to any changes in the inhabitants. This had to have occurred in about 2 days time.

I'm sure you mean it's shell that it carries around since you mention that he didn't steal it from a snail.

In that case to have nothing to worry about. It was most likely a shell that you didn't notice.

Wouldn't worry, its just a house to them and not really an indicator of their health, they aren't picky, theyd be happy with the bayside mansion or the van down by the river

Archived