Top Shelf Aquatics

Clam Issue - Shell Split

icedearth15324

icedearth15324

So my deresa clam which I have had for around a year, all of a sudden started looking really bad yesterday. All of a sudden it could no longer stand up on its own. I would pick it up, even stand it against a rock, but it would fall down. When I picked it up, it no longer felt solid like it used to, it felt like the two shell pieces were sliding apart, as if the tissue holding it together at the bottom had torn.

I currently have it resting on a piece of putty, holding the clam together. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea on what could have caused it? Will the clam recover if he has the putty keeping his shell together?(like a cast on a human bone)

Here's a pic of it in the putty. I didn't get a chance to take a photo of the bottom of his shell though. But if you look at the photo, his shell no longer fully lines up properly.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_20140215_161516_zpscb4ayisz.jpg

icedearth15324

Sorry to say, that clam is a gonner

You should check the bottom of the clam for pyramid snails.

I've never seen a sign of snails. And so far with his cast on he's been opening quite well.

I've never seen a sign of snails. And so far with his cast on he's been opening quite well.

We have seen Deresas recover from this. Dose strontium to increase calcification.

• 2 weeks later...
icedearth15324

So far the clam is still alive and well. His shell has slowly been reattaching, or at least it feels that way. He still has his putty cast on though to keep his shell together. I've been dosing strontium per the recommendations on the bottle.

icedearth15324

Karl, is that you? Glad to hear it's hanging in there.

Yup, it is I. The clam is definitely hanging on. Opens up its shell enough to let its mantle out to get some light.

Hey cousin- it's crazy, to just no know what caused it, how bizarre. Good news.

I got a little treat myself and I'll be putting it on my Evolve 8 thread later today.

gulfsurfer101

Have you thought about cutting some strips of nylon cloth or something similar and using superglue to hold the strips to both sides of the shell. Kind of like a sling.

• 3 weeks later...
icedearth15324

So far everything I've done has not helped. I have resorted to rubber-banding the shell in two places. Tight enough to keep him together, but loose enough to let his mantle out still. I'm going to keep him like this for around 3-5 days, and then will see how he is. Otherwise I'm not sure what else to try. It's been a month and a half since I first posted this thread, and he is still alive and well though.

Hang in there man !!! Only bad things happen fast. Clams take F O R E V E R to heal. It is prolly struggling but we have seen Deresas recover from this. We have also seen deresas recover from a medium size tear in their mantle, and that took 6 months !

THings you can do ???

make sure your calcium is around 450

dose strontium to increase calcification

is you have been considering carbon/vodka/sugar dosing, well...now would be a good time because clams love the sugar.

gulfsurfer101

I've read where the strip bandage method I mentioned above has worked for larger clams. Hope you can find something that works for you.

Hang in there man !!! Only bad things happen fast. Clams take F O R E V E R to heal. It is prolly struggling but we have seen Deresas recover from this. We have also seen deresas recover from a medium size tear in their mantle, and that took 6 months !

THings you can do ???

is you have been considering carbon/vodka/sugar dosing, well...now would be a good time because clams love the sugar.

Karl, sounds like it needs a good shot of Polish Spirytus!!! and drink one for me too. Glad he's hangin' on.

icedearth15324

THings you can do ???

Calcium stays around 450, I started dosing strontium after you suggested it earlier. I have not considered dosing carbon/vodka/sugar before, and haven't gotten a clue on what I'd do for it. Right now I have a rubber band on him, how long do you think he can go without being able to extend his mantle fully? He is able to get it out a little bit because of the rubber band, but I want to make sure it doesn't kill him.

• 1 month later...
icedearth15324

To give an update, my poor clam finally lost the fight. He died yesterday. He fought hard, and survived for almost 3 months after his shell split. RIP Gilbert, you will be missed.

Archived