Cultivated Reef

Fluval Spec V Build RETIRED

2004jeeplaredo

2004jeeplaredo

Heres some pics of my Fluval Spec V reef. I had it up and running for a few months now. Its my first attempt at a saltwater reef tank. Freshwater got boring and i wanted a project so i started this and wanted to get frags in it and watch it fill out as a colorful reef tank. Please let me know what ya guys think.

Equipment

Fluval Spec V

Minijet 606

Aqueon Heater

Tunze Nano ATO

Aquamana 165W Full Spectrum LED

DIY rear filter holder for filter floss and Algea

Timer power strip for lights and fuge light

Stock

YWG and Candy Cane Pistol Pair

Neon Dotty Back (Dexter)

8lb live sand

7+ lb live rock

Pink and Green Damicornus

Montipora Digitata Blue Polyp

Tri Color Acro

Pinck milliepora

Green millipora

Duncan Coral

Misc Yuma

Misc Acan

10+ types of Zoanthid

Purple People Eater

Frogspawn

Green Torch Coral

Indo Gold Torch

GSP

Tube Anenome

Yellow Polyp

Misc hermit crabs and snails

Fighting Conch

So far so good, Just going slow due to budget

Latest FTS

11/08/2015

_DSC4882.jpg

Its almost a 2 years old!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you offer a little more info about your filter chamber? What did you make it with and is it just algae and filter floss? It looks empty of water in your pic how low do you keep water in there?

2004jeeplaredo

Can you offer a little more info about your filter chamber? What did you make it with and is it just algae and filter floss? It looks empty of water in your pic how low do you keep water in there?

Just used egg crate and made a cube that fit inside the back. I have floss on the top of the cube just below the ato sensor and algae inside the cube with a bag of purigen and that it. The water level is about a 1/4 in to 1/2 in lower in the chamber to help with surface skimming.

Heres a pic kinda seeing into the back chamber.post-82813-0-72185400-1392500976_thumb.jpg

2004jeeplaredo

Just added a Innovated Marine spin stream nozzle. I have mixed feelings so far but will prob keep it. I like the more random wave like flow and the water going into my overflow seems ten times stronger but the flow coming and in the tank seems weaker but i know that would happen. I love the flow going into the overflow now. It is a bit noisy but hopefully it quiets down after a bit. My corals seem happier with it. Pics and video to come...

2004jeeplaredo

Heres the update with the new spin stream nozzle. Let me know what you guys think. Keep it or no? I like it except the noise and the loss in flow but seems to have more pull into the filter chamber.

On a side note. Some how went to get water at my LFS and the owner was wanting me to get more coral in my tank but was telling him I needed to budget. He then made me a deal on a Yellow polyp frag for 5$. He then through in a huge green polyp frag to "sweeten" the deal. As I was checking out he came over with something, opened my bag and tossed it in. I looked and it was a tiny green candy cane frag. WOW! for 5$ 3 corals!

Link to update video of it in action- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMF6fnHW5o4&feature=youtu.be

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

2004jeeplaredo

If the it just looks like it needs a stronger return pump. Great deal on the corals. I should try your technique next time I'm at my LFS.

Im running the Minijet 606 which I think is as strong as I can get to fit in the rear chamber

• 1 month later...
2004jeeplaredo

Fluval Spec V

Coral Update:

I ordered my first online order of two coral frags (getting annoyed with my LFS and there policies). Will be shipped overnight and here tuesday.

Just a nice Frogspawn for 20$ and a Ricordea for 10$. Im excited to get them.

Also have a LED Dimmer to help acclimate some lower light corals easier and a Current USA Ramp Timer.

Just a photo dump of all the corals and a few critters. Most corals I have were scavenged frags at the bottom of my LFS frag tanks I got for 4-7$ each. The People eater was a 7$ piece. My Orange Zoa was 5$ and only had 2 heads what I bough him a month ago!

Let me know what ya think.

_DSC1026.jpg

_DSC1031.jpg

_DSC1043.jpg

_DSC1072.jpg

_DSC1076.jpg

_DSC1114.jpg

_DSC1099.jpg

_DSC1111.jpg

_DSC1132.jpg

People Eater???

_DSC1123.jpg

Benny

_DSC1142.jpg

_DSC1134.jpg

Blue Actinic:

_DSC1145.jpg

_DSC1193.jpg

_DSC1154.jpg

_DSC1182.jpg

_DSC1161.jpg

2004jeeplaredo

Very nice photos! What kind of camera are you using?

It was a Nikon D7100 from the camera shop I work at. I used a Nikkor 105mm f2.8 AF-D Lens as well. White balance set to 10,000K

It was a Nikon D7100 from the camera shop I work at. I used a Nikkor 105mm f2.8 AF-D Lens as well. White balance set to 10,000K

Yea that camera is a little out of my price range, by a little i mean a lot lol One of these days i might be able to take pictures as awesome as you do :happy:

2004jeeplaredo

Yea that camera is a little out of my price range, by a little i mean a lot lol One of these days i might be able to take pictures as awesome as you do :happy:

:) you can get a entry level DSLR and it would do just as well. Our shop has used camera bodies for a few hundred dollars. tripod and a macro lens and your set!

2004jeeplaredo

This is a quick video of my newly added frogspawn. I am running a minijet 606 and a Innovated Marine spin stream and love the combo. The coral is in the middle of the tank both ways but seems like the current flowing back to the overflow my be strong. Let me know what you think.

I was amazed how quickly he came out after adding. I got the shipment from Unique Coral in and the video was about two hours after adding him to his spot on the rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtLefv8Z0WU'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtLefv8Z0WU

Does your spinstream get clogged much? I run the hydor rotating deflector and it gets clogged by colonista snails at least 2 times per day.

2004jeeplaredo
Does your spinstream get clogged much? I run the hydor rotating deflector and it gets clogged by colonista snails at least 2 times per day.

No not yet. Its been great. A little noisy at first but is getting quieter.

I hate these snail always restricting water flow from the return pump.

Your tank looks so good, I really hope mine looks as good one day.

The lighting is awesome too, and that circulating powerhead! What kind of modification did you do to fit that on? Still using stock pump? I really like that!

2004jeeplaredo
Your tank looks so good, I really hope mine looks as good one day.

The lighting is awesome too, and that circulating powerhead! What kind of modification did you do to fit that on? Still using stock pump? I really like that!

Hey thanks a bunch! I highly recommend the mini jet 606. Its noisy at first but gets silent so give it time, with the stock nozzle it doesn't give a lot more flow but if you file out just a little inside it almost doubles the flow. With the spin stream the 606 pump is essential because you do loose a lot of flow through it buts its a good combo. i just used one of the adapter hoses the spin stream comes with and had to cut the hole in the back wall a little bigger to fit it. You can do it without making the hole bigger. I just was experimenting.

• 2 weeks later...
2004jeeplaredo
Do have any pics of your peppermint shrimp

I dont. He died :( i dont have luck with them for whatever reason.

Archived