Top Shelf Aquatics

Get it together man!

MikeTR

Oh, and if we're talking subsidies, how's this?

Navy Pension: $1373 after taxes, dental and life insurance premiums

VA Disability: $1745 (non-taxable)

VA vocational rehabilitation benefits: 100% of tuition and fees, plus all required books, plus $1671 monthly housing stipend (all non-taxable, started in September, I paid for my Freshman year out-of-pocket)

Financial aid: @$3400 per quarter, combined state and federal programs (non-taxable)

So in all, I got north of $50k last year, either for going to college or because I was in the military.

My tax refund was over $5k.

I'll be honest, it seems almost criminal to me, but they keep throwing more money in my direction. Most of it will only last thirty-six months, but still. While it's nice that I don't have to take any student loans, it still feels kind of wrong.

Brother, you earned it and, I'm happy to chip in my fair share for it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what is a person's "fair" share? And who gets to determine that amount?

Just curious.

%25 gross after tithes and charitable donations, (more on

capital gains , around %35) IMO. Price of living in the greatest country around, don't wanna chip in? You can always leave, but who'll take in a freeloader?

As far as who gets to decide, I vote every cycle, not just every four years. We all get to decide.

Here's how I look at this particular issue:

The Declaration of Independence says that the inalienable rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not happiness itself, but the opportunity to pursue it. I see that as an important distinction.

But it's that first one, Life, that seems to be applicable here.

Life is a right? Shouldn't that mean that sustenance of that right should be pretty important? And that withholding of life-sustaining medical practice solely for the reason of profitability would be inappropriate? Life is listed first, not the pursuit of happiness, and I don't think the order is an accident. I don't pretend to be as smart as the guys who wrote our country's most important documents, but that's how I interpret those words.

The people who deride the medical systems of other countries have almost never actually dealt with those systems, but rely on the information provided to them for their understanding of those systems. Unfortunately, people tend to get that information from sources that are suspect at best: politicians, mass media and the like.

There are megacorporations that would not exist if the US treated this field like most other countries do, and stand to lose a lot of political clout and probably quite a bit of money if the system is changed.

Which is why they are fighting tooth and nail to prevent change.

The problem is that comes at the expense of those most in need of help.

There's a difference between free-market capitalism and greed. The problem is that with enough money and power, that greed becomes a force that is virtually impossible to defeat. Fair share is something that has changed in meaning over the past 238 years. It used to mean you had enough to be comfortable and not have to worry too much. Now, some people think that fair share is however much you can amass for yourself, everyone else be damned, and even if you can't spend it all in a dozen lifetimes.

Democrat and Republican politicians alike have become beholden to the giant corporations instead of the people who elect them and they are supposed to represent. They have become comfortable in power and don't want to give it up. So, they take the fat campaign checks and make laws that benefit the corporations over the people. Then, they tell whatever lies necessary to capture the votes necessary to remain in power. Topics like abortion, civil rights, gun control and others serve to distract people from all the legislation that really matters, like adequate funding for education instead of paying massive farming corporations to NOT grow crops, or a reasonable sized military force for defense purpose instead of always trying to play World Police.

I believe that there should be term limits for all public offices, and that campaign funding is completely out of control. Sometimes I think that we'd do better if representative offices were filled by lottery instead of election, because I honestly think that people who didn't want to be politicians would do a better job of representing public interest than those who seek elected office.

Heck, most terrorists wouldn't give a crap about America if we weren't always poking our noses into their business.

Gah, how the heck did I get on this tangent?

/end rant.

Here's how I look at this particular issue:

The Declaration of Independence says that the inalienable rights are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not happiness itself, but the opportunity to pursue it. I see that as an important distinction.

But it's that first one, Life, that seems to be applicable here.

Life is a right? Shouldn't that mean that sustenance of that right should be pretty important? And that withholding of life-sustaining medical practice solely for the reason of profitability would be inappropriate? Life is listed first, not the pursuit of happiness, and I don't think the order is an accident. I don't pretend to be as smart as the guys who wrote our country's most important documents, but that's how I interpret those words.

The people who deride the medical systems of other countries have almost never actually dealt with those systems, but rely on the information provided to them for their understanding of those systems. Unfortunately, people tend to get that information from sources that are suspect at best: politicians, mass media and the like.

There are megacorporations that would not exist if the US treated this field like most other countries do, and stand to lose a lot of political clout and probably quite a bit of money if the system is changed.

Which is why they are fighting tooth and nail to prevent change.

The problem is that comes at the expense of those most in need of help.

There's a difference between free-market capitalism and greed. The problem is that with enough money and power, that greed becomes a force that is virtually impossible to defeat. Fair share is something that has changed in meaning over the past 238 years. It used to mean you had enough to be comfortable and not have to worry too much. Now, some people think that fair share is however much you can amass for yourself, everyone else be damned, and even if you can't spend it all in a dozen lifetimes.

Democrat and Republican politicians alike have become beholden to the giant corporations instead of the people who elect them and they are supposed to represent. They have become comfortable in power and don't want to give it up. So, they take the fat campaign checks and make laws that benefit the corporations over the people. Then, they tell whatever lies necessary to capture the votes necessary to remain in power. Topics like abortion, civil rights, gun control and others serve to distract people from all the legislation that really matters, like adequate funding for education instead of paying massive farming corporations to NOT grow crops, or a reasonable sized military force for defense purpose instead of always trying to play World Police.

I believe that there should be term limits for all public offices, and that campaign funding is completely out of control. Sometimes I think that we'd do better if representative offices were filled by lottery instead of election, because I honestly think that people who didn't want to be politicians would do a better job of representing public interest than those who seek elected office.

Heck, most terrorists wouldn't give a crap about America if we weren't always poking our noses into their business.

Gah, how the heck did I get on this tangent?

/end rant.

Almost eloquent. I think we could agree on many of those points, but not all. If only we could adopt the 2nd Bill of Rights put forth by FDR.

If you're ever near ATL I'd be glad to buy you a beer.

Almost eloquent? That makes sense. ENGL101 was my least favorite class, and I'm in Calculus IV right now.

;)

I could probably have edited it and made it more cohesive, I do that with a lot of my posts, even after I know people have already read it and moved on. :) Then again, it's not like I was announcing my candidacy for village idiot or senator or something.

Sorry you got a lazy ass mailman :P.. but this is what our big mailbox is for, holds a 15x15x15 box. It would have taken extra effort on his part to visit my house which is a block away from the common mail area.

So it sounds like yours is ultra lazy and didn't want to open the big box even. Which hey I don't blame him, I prefer to get in tight boxes myself.

Well hopefully the package was picked up, shoot me an email if there are any issues and we will take care of it.

As far as the ACA goes --- we are not touching that with a 10 foot pole. Officially! :)

Unofficially I am a bit worried about how we will weather the changes. Our plans were cancelled and our health insurance costs have gone up over 300%, and we have been looking at taking second jobs for coverage. If anyone knows any tips on getting better health insurance rates shoot us an email. I was thinking maybe working for CVS one day a month and getting their health plan. Probably doesn't work that way. Would be cool though...

Oh, and if we're talking subsidies, how's this?

Navy Pension: $1373 after taxes, dental and life insurance premiums

VA Disability: $1745 (non-taxable)

VA vocational rehabilitation benefits: 100% of tuition and fees, plus all required books, plus $1671 monthly housing stipend (all non-taxable, started in September, I paid for my Freshman year out-of-pocket)

Financial aid: @$3400 per quarter, combined state and federal programs (non-taxable)

So in all, I got north of $50k last year, either for going to college or because I was in the military.

My tax refund was over $5k.

I'll be honest, it seems almost criminal to me, but they keep throwing more money in my direction. Most of it will only last thirty-six months, but still. While it's nice that I don't have to take any student loans, it still feels kind of wrong.

Horseshit! You earned this when you volunteered to put your butt between us and disagreeable people who want to do us harm. The education bennies, while they will not last, give you an excellent opportunity to give yourself a leg up in the job market as well. Sounds like you are making the most of it. Don't really regard this as a subsidy so much as good investment on the part of the US.

I do disagree with you on some minor points above about healthcare and the role of R&D inherent in large corporate capabilities, but do agree that conflicts of interest. special treatment, and greed are out of control. $$$ does tend to pollute rational thought, but there is a reason we are still the leader in medical research.

Thanks for your service, and to all on NR who have served their country.

Aca will bankrupt private insurance and likely the entire healthcare industry..

This ^ 100%. While not everything in ACA is bad, the mandate that insurance companies start insuring people who are already sick is not sustainable. Eventually the system goes from bad to broken and then the government steps in to play the hero.

And then healthcare becomes alot like USPS :scarry:

LarryMoeCurly

Your sig is a little ironic in this case. For the reasons discussed earlier in this thread.

Also, what do you suppose should happen to those who have a pre-existing condition and can not get insurance? Bankruptcy I guess.

Your sig is a little ironic in this case. For the reasons discussed earlier in this thread.

Also, what do you suppose should happen to those who have a pre-existing condition and can not get insurance? Bankruptcy I guess.

do you think someone should wreck a car then go buy insurance to fix it?

I know it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but the real world runs on money not on warm fuzzy feelings..

LarryMoeCurly

do you think someone should wreck a car then go buy insurance to fix it?

No. If I refuse to buy insurance and just pay the penalty, and I get hit by a bus tomorrow, then I do not think it is the insurance company's problem. However, I think that it is illegal to not treat someone in an ER; and since I wouldn't be able to afford it, the taypayer would likely get the bill one way or another.

However, if I have multiple sclerosis or a previous cancer disgnosis, for example, then I do not think I should be precluded from purchasing affordable insurance since my illness was likely little or no fault of my own. Insurance is a pool of money created by healthy people and sick people. The healthy are paying for the sick.

It's a moral dilemma though. Should self-inflicted injuries and illnesses such as suicide attempts or lung cancer be covered? What about diabetes and other obesity-realted illnesses, should those be covered since they are self-inflicted? But if you attempt suicide, were you in a right mind to begin with, so should you be held responsible for your actions? It is interesting to think about. Smokers do pay a higher price for insurance under the ACA though, perhaps the same should be applied to those who have a high BMI?

No. If I refuse to buy insurance and just pay the penalty, and I get hit by a bus tomorrow, then I do not think it is the insuance company's problem. However, I think that it is illegal to not treat someone in an ER; and since I wouldn't be able to afford it, the taypayer would likely get the bill one way or another.

However, if I have multiple sclerosis or a previous cancer disgnosis, for example, then I do not think I should be precluded from purchasing affordable insurance since my illness was likely little or no fault of my own. Insurance is a pool of money created by healthy people and sick people. The healthy are paying for the sick.

It's a moral dilemma though. Should self-inflicted injuries and illnesses such as suicide attempts or lung cancer be covered? What about diabetes and other obesity-realted illness, should those be covered since they are self-inflicted? But if you attempt suicide, were you in a right mind to begin with, so should you be held responsible for your actions? It is interesting to think about. Smokers do pay a higher price for insurance under the ACA though, perhaps the same should be applied to those who have a high BMI?

legally yes, we have to treat someone in an emergency situation. we have no choice, it's the law (not sure if it's all states, probably is under aca anyway). also, most non-profit hospitals will write that off, it' s not coming from taxpayer money.

I have no problem with higher cost individuals paying more than lower cost individuals, unfortunately our PC obsessed country can't offend anyone like that (unless it's for a socially unacceptable behaviour). for example, females cost a health plan more (just a fact of life), but can't be charged more under ACA.

I have a problem with you getting new coverage after a diagnosis, however if you're switching insurance providers that is a different story (that eliminates the pre-existing element). but if you get sick then go out and buy insurance to cover it, that is morally wrong and imo shouldn't be covered.

also, it's not uncommon for medicare/caid to pay 0.30-0.35 on the dollar for claims, to make up the loss private companies are charged higher than they would be otherwise..

trust me, the more the gubment gets woven into healthcare, the worse it's going to get, and the more expensive it's going to get.

Not debating that. Just saying that insurance doesn't work like the ACA wants it to work. They are trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

OK so gonna give maloney another chance..he's been politely dealing with my impatience and responded to every email. If I was dealing with reefs2go bankrupt or rare reef retards they'd have told me to get ####ed, and pretty much literally too. I need more escargot and some sand sifting bulldozers.

Smokers do pay a higher price for insurance under the ACA though, perhaps the same should be applied to those who have a high BMI?
just like smokers pay higher premiums, some plans offer an incentive to go to the gym which to me translates to lower premium for exercising and hopefully staying healthy.

My insurance plan which is hardly a great plan to have offers $400/yr , paid 6 monthly after showing proof of gym membership payments and attendance records proving 100 visits a year.

So the post office is going to be providing me healthcare now?

I really wish that people who want to object to something do the research and come up with valid arguments. I would prefer socialized healthcare to the mess we have now. We have nothing close to it.

- IMO, nothing will change until we feel the actual costs of our own healthcare decisions (market based solution).

- I don't want to live in a country that condemns people to die or go bankrupt trying to stay alive (compassion).

Two ideas that are hard to reconcile.

/RINO - We're bigger than you, smarter than you, and we don't like tea! :D

I've ordered from RC a few times and have always been very pleased. I'm glad to see John is helping you out - not that I'd expect any less from him. Top notch business owner.

I've ordered from RC a few times and have always been very pleased. I'm glad to see John is helping you out - not that I'd expect any less from him. Top notch business owner.

WTF is going on in this thread seriously.

I love reef cleaners and will buy from John consistently, usps not delivering is not reef cleaners fault or healthcares or Obamas fault, its USPS having crappy workers and not reading the box labels.

Archived