Pod Your Reef

Lara's 4G CAD Lights Mini

Aqualara

Hello all!

I bought this tank in December and it has been set up for about two months now. I love this little tank. It is adorable, but I am never satisfied and there are some things I wish were different about it. The pump is not powerful enough (problem solved -- got a better pump). The lighting seems a bit dim. It's probably enough for what I have in there, but still. I may upgrade to something else. The lighting issue can be solved. I also would prefer if the tank was wider from front to back and side to side, and shorter. That's really the only thing I don't like that can't change about it. I prefer the dimensions of the Picotope, but then I am stuck with having to either hang a filter on the back or have a bunch of visible equipment in the tank, both of which I don't like. Overall, I do love the tank.

Here are the tank details:

Tank

CAD Lights Mini series - 4 gallon

10" x 10" x 11" tall

Equipment

Light: stock light fixture - "Modern Slim Profile LED lighting system 3.8W"

Pump: Via Aqua 100 (100 GPH), because the stock pump wasn't cutting it.

Heater: Hydor 50W

Fish and non-coral inverts:

- 2x Green banded goby (one will move to my 40G once it's big enough to fend for itself)

- 3x sexy shrimp

- 1x pom pom crab (always hiding)

- 1x Maxi mini

Coral

- Acans (red variety)

- Ricordeas (orange, green)

- Blue mushroom

- Green star polyps

- Zoas (Sunny Ds, laser lemons, kedds reds, darth mauls, watermelons, purple and greens)

FTS 2/13/2014:

image_zps4819cab1.jpg

image_zps6f20d0ac.jpg

image_zps6a7eb6ba.jpg

image_zpsd5480b0d.jpg

image_zps1a378454.jpg

My maxi mini before it moved to a less visible place in the tank:

image_zpseacd007b.jpg

image_zpse1cd0b43.jpg

I am getting some coral in the mail on Saturday and will be adding some things! Among them will be a small hammer, a micromussa, and a yellow ric. I am super excited :-)

HatrickSwayzee

I have the same tank and was thinking about getting a Maxi Mini, but thought it would eat any fish I'd put in there since the tank is so small. You haven't had any problems?

I have the same tank and was thinking about getting a Maxi Mini, but thought it would eat any fish I'd put in there since the tank is so small. You haven't had any problems?

No problems so far :) A year or two ago I had a 6 gallon reef with a maxi minis and green banded gobies and they did great in there. I love green banded gobies :wub: ...And maxi minis.

Glued the new frags down. It was an exciting day :lol:

The red mushroom in the front hasn't flattened out yet. Hopefully soon! and I just added a blue maxi mini in the middle in between the two rocks. It hasn't attached yet. Hopefully I won't find it torn up in the filter intake tomorrow.

image_zps45907d7b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one of these tanks :) I noticed you are using the stock light, how has it been? Are your corals growing good?

So far so good. My sunny Ds just sprouted a new polyp. acans look happy, mushrooms look happy, and nothing appears to be reaching. Keep in mind that I do not have any SPS in here and that I have very few LPS. Also, the tank is quite new. But I will keep everyone posted!

Sweet! I just added 5 rics some Xenia and a small frag of gsp...if those won't grow under this light I don't know what will lol

So... I think my green banded gobies spawned!

I haven't seen the eggs, but I think they are in a cave that the male dug. This morning before I fed, I noticed that the female was very, very plump. I came back a few hours later, and the gobies were nowhere to be found (likely in the cave). I came back to look for them an hour later. At that point, the male was in the cave, and the female was no longer plump.

Unfortunately, I am going on vacation Tuesday to Sunday, so I won't be there when they hatch (assuming eggs were laid). I'm sad about that, but I know they'll spawn again soon. I am going to read up on raising the fry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

love the tank! i'm actually upgrading from a 3g

(not a cadlights) to an 8g cadlights and am super

excited. i'm new to the hobby so will google some

of things you have in your tank.

update soon please! :happy:

• 3 months later...

I actually bought one of Dave's nanobox 5g tanks. It's 12x12x9 and I love it. I really hated the cad lights tank almost from the start. The light was weak; even my rics were reaching. The tank was so narrow front to back, which I didn't like. And I could never find a strong enough pump that would fit in the back chamber. I neglected the tank for awhile but my sexy shrimp and pom pom crab were still thriving. That's when I decided to upgrade to something I'd be excited about. And here we are :-D I have a par 30 over it for now but I may go nano box at some point.

How is the tank you got from dave,I saw the ones he had for sale but no threads of them being used !! Can't wait to see how it turns out !!

If you ever need a light,shoot me a pm I've got one that'd be perfect for a tank with those dims.

Archived