Pod Your Reef

My new Ritteri Anemonne (Magnifica)

cadieuxd

I just bought a Magnifica 5 days ago, couple of times a day she will deflate / inflate but she seems ok.

Last night she did something very strange, her body is kind of rapping around herself and shes very extended (see photo), is she allright?

thank you

P1010076-2_zpsd3185f4a.jpg

Can you describe the tank setup, size, age, stocking, parameters, lighting?

This is probably the hardest anemone if not one of the hardest animals to keep in captivity. They require absolutely perfect conditions, extremely strong lighting, perfect flow, usually need a host to help them settle in, and they still have a very high mortality rate.

As for the host, if you look closely there's a nemo inside her :)

Tank is new, 1 month old

Water condition are near perfect:

nitrate 2mg/L

salinity 1.023

temp: 78F

Nitrite 0

Phosphate 0.02ppm

Ammonia 0ppm

PH 8.3

60 Gal tank with 25 Gal sump, 1x 1150 regular powerhead and 1x running wave mode (she loves it, sometimes when she opens she stay at less and a inch from it)

LED light but in acclimation mode for 2-3 more days (at first I tried full power but she moved in a cave)

Every fish are perfectly fine (Flame Angel, 2x clowns, baby Yellow Tang, baby hippo, engineer goby)

I'll just speak generally here. Tank isn't nearly old enough, should be roughly 1 - 2 years old for this species of anemone. Even with a host clownfish, it's unlikely to survive in such a new tank. This is going to be exacerbated by the heavy stocking for this size and newness of the tank. Also, if this anemone is still sticky it will eat any of the non-host fish in the tank no matter their size. Very aggressive and very mobile, they'll detach on purpose and just drift around even when healthy. Unfortunately their mobility makes them very prone to getting sucked into powerheads.

As far as deflating goes, it's not good for this anemone, usually is a sign of impending death.

I don't really know what I would suggest in your case. This anemone is probably less than 50/50 when cared for in large tanks by experts.

mm... I know next to nothing about these big anemones, but hopefully it'll be okay.. these ritteri's are gorgeous.. if it pulls through for you that will be an awesome piece..

What LED fixture do you have? I would keep it at it's current level for now since you were able to turn it up too high.

The fact that he's still attached to the rock is a good sign, but his overall form looks bad. They deflate when they're stressed or subject to changing or unfavorable tank conditions. So, it's typical to see stress when acclimating to a new tank, but it shouldn't last a week, and shouldn't be a recurring event. These guys never deflate in the wild.

The best hope at this point is to keep the tank as stable as possible, lighting, flow, salinity, temperature, nutrient load, etc. If you do any water changes make sure to closely match salinity, alk, and temperature at the very least.

If you're using API test kits, you're going to want something better, salifert or redsea, and probably Hanna for the phosphate.

High nitrates and high nutrients in general are going to wreak havoc on this guy.

Thanks for the advices.

LED fixture are 2 x Current USA Orbit Marine LED Light Fixture

I use API and Redsea for most test (I like having 2 options). I use Hanna for phosphate and Alk.

I also use a auto top off that's heated to the same temp as the tank and it's linked to the sump.

Plus I monitor the tank from work via a cam :) (I'm kind of freak)

Good luck! As mentioned above it's one of the hardest anemones to keep in captivity. You don't really have the best setup to be trying it out, but there's not much that can be done at this point. Don't try to move it and hope for the best... if it looks like it might be about to die, pull it before it nukes your tank

I dont mean to bring your hopes down, but from all the advice & help i got on another forum seems to me that a month tank is not nearly old enough. I was told that a magnifica shouldn't go in a tank that is younger than 6 months. Mature doesnt only mean perfect water but as i was informed stable/mature means that the substrate & rocks will no longer leach anything into the water column, therfore you will have a bslanced ecosystem. My tank is almost 3 monthd old & im barely planning the adittion on one of these great nems. I wish you the best of luck as i will need it sometime soon :)

Magnifica/Ritteri are light hogs. They usually will be found basking under a 250w or 400w MH bulb soaking up as much as they can. With the combination of the young tank and the low PAR led's i cant give much advice. The lights you have really dont pack much PAR.

Try having a big flat shelf like piece of rock up top for it to set on and spread its foot out. They like a flat surface.

Archived