Pod Your Reef

My Rising Sun Plate/Fungia is having babies! - I knocked a baby off!

RnMB1988

Total blast hanging with you today! It was sooo B) to see that plate kicking out babies in person! Such a neat lil treasure you got on your hands :naughtydance:

It was really difficult getting good pix of the babies because there soo teenie. I clearly counted six with possibly two more forming.

20140209_171226_zpsiiibdqy5.jpg

20140209_171207_zpsllygt8hs.jpg

Now the Video of this awesomeness omgomgomgenjoy...

6 babies?! That's a lot of good plate coral. Should be able to turn them into the LFS for some good store credit or frag trades.

6 babies?! That's a lot of good plate coral. Should be able to turn them into the LFS for some good store credit or frag trades.

Yes six is a good number. First one is mine to replace the "Mom" second goes to Zia and third is for Dixie, I think she said she wanted one.... the rest...well I'm not sure I could just trade them away to a LFS if that is all there is, I would much rater trade them with a fellow reefer for somethingI don't have.

Hmm, I have a orange plate coral that recently died. I was thinking of throwing away the skeleton. Now, I will preserve it and hope it lays babies :)

Yes KEEP IT.....put it into al owed flow shadow are of your tank, so the algae won't grow on it. It took a while for me to see what I hoped for....6 to 8 weeks if I remember correctly.

Good luck! I hope you are as fortunate as I !!

Looking good Robert, i bet when you get back from your trip they'll be doubled in size :D

Congrats to all you others that have these fungia's kicking out babies for you, it's one of the B) things to see in a reef aquarium imo. I'm so fascinated with this zombie occurrence. Everyone with one, PLEASE Keep sharing your care requirements and PICTURES, Please!

• 1 month later...
dixie reefer

I've got a plate thats popping out babies too! It was doing good until my clown started nipping at it. I moved it to my mantis tank and I noticed the babies!

Here's what it looked like before

0802131446_zpsbd28217f.jpg

0708132150_zps69ba2197.jpg

0706130955e_zps93873dea.jpg

And now babies

0326142135e_zpsf7213d23.jpg

I returned home after my six (ish) weeks in Phoenix to find this!!

EA9E1728-57EB-43CD-BD3C-48859E3934A8_zps

57FBC8B5-A797-428F-BF27-5172B016F8BA_zps

74C20D1C-373D-4581-8268-5069BFB2E178_zps

Defiantly some great growth!!
My wife did a great job taking care of things while I was away!!
Thanks Babe!!

I had a sickly orange plate die off and pop up babies, a ton of them at first but eventually they crowded each other out to less. I sold it off in a downgrade a few years ago and none of the smaller plates had dropped off by then.

Can you elaborate? I have seen babies grow on the old skeleton but it sounds like at some point in their development they move off the skeleton and do their own thing? Thanks!

GoingPostal

Can you elaborate? I have seen babies grow on the old skeleton but it sounds like at some point in their development they move off the skeleton and do their own thing? Thanks!

They have to get to a decent size before they start falling off, none of mine had by the time I sold the piece off.

I have been told that one they are the size of a dime you can break them off the mother plate. Stick around for about another two or three months and I will let you know first hand!!

NEW photo's!!

What AMAZING growth!!! I was gone on a business trip from Feb 19th Till Mar 26th.....LOOK at how much these babies have grown. My wife did a SUPER job of taking care of everything!! She even fed them the frozen reef plankton with an eye dropper!!

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01027_zps3713c1b1.jpg.html'>DSC01027_zps3713c1b1.jpg

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Shallow%20Nano%20Reef/DSC01035_zps0f02d24e.jpg.html'>DSC01035_zps0f02d24e.jpg

I still need a better camera....... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have been babying the babies - super growth feeding Sally's frozen Cyclops!!

I also had a bit of a scare, I was cleaning some GHA off the mother plate and knocked off one of the babies, It survived, and is doing well !!

This is a big deal - the young can live if separated from the mother. If would seem that as long as they have developed tentacles and a mouth they will be OK. This one is no larger that a pencil eraser.

DSC01054_zps47d0ef52.jpg

DSC01055_zps4dbbbfb3.jpg

DSC01056_zps14ebf2f7.jpg

Aj.

Thanks for stopping in.

This is an amazing thing isn't it!! I also am completly intrigued about this. I have no idea how the dead mother plate is able to generate living babies from a skeleton, but why ask why..... lets just observe the awesomeness of the event and I will continue to document it as best I can!

Keep checking in!

yup, i try and cut mine off as soon as i can get a good grip if they are close to other babies. since i dont want them competing with each other.

i got 5 separated out, 2 the size of pinheads.

feel free to remove them anytime. there is no "mother" - just a dead skeleton with independent chunks of living tissue that are trying to regenerate. the skeleton is just a substrate.

RnMB - they dont form from skeleton - they form from living tissue. but the living tissue could be microscopic clusters of cells. though some of my anthocauli formed on 1/4" bits of tissue that were left after the original plate died - these large bits of tissue formed many anthocauli all over their surfaces.

Marko, Thanks!!

That is some super information!! I know it was not magic.....it just seems that way sometimes ;)

Even with an explanation, its still AWESOME!!!

I fed them some plankton tonight, the 4 larger ones ate it up like little pigs!! It's just so cool! B)B)B)

Archived