Pod Your Reef

Chad's Long and Low 12g

Chadf

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but then you'll have the falling water sound.

I see, it only happens once in a while usually after I mess with something. Most of the time all I hear is water running down the tubes. I'd rather not have the salt screep or falling water sound. Although it could be fixed like scorched said with a filter sock and floss. I'll give it a while and see how things go as is.

I see, it only happens once in a while usually after I mess with something. Most of the time all I hear is water running down the tubes. I'd rather not have the salt screep or falling water sound. Although it could be fixed like scorched said with a filter sock and floss. I'll give it a while and see how things go as is.

What happens if you slow the flow rate down to the sump, all its going to do is make skimming more efficient unless you're relying on flow from the return pumps in the display.

What happens if you slow the flow rate down to the sump, all its going to do is make skimming more efficient unless you're relying on flow from the return pumps in the display.

I rely on the return for flow. But I have turned it down just to see and it fixes the issue.

I rely on the return for flow. But I have turned it down just to see and it fixes the issue.

My mame has a sweet spot and will have the same symptoms you're describing if it is up too high. essentially the overflow tubing is becoming overwhelmed for a moment and getting an air bubble in the tube, it goes down into the sump and makes a nice big gulp.

Add an air release to the drain.... maybe drill a hole insert like a small valve (even an air valve u can pick up at wal-mart, or ro/di water line valve...) and if needed run a short length of tube above the water level. That should give the air a place to escape and aide in quieting things down ;)

You could paint it all black so it doesn't stand out to much and distract from the look as much as well.....

The light's coming tomorrow, woohoo!

Add an air release to the drain.... maybe drill a hole insert like a small valve (even an air valve u can pick up at wal-mart, or ro/di water line valve...) and if needed run a short length of tube above the water level. That should give the air a place to escape and aide in quieting things down ;)

You could paint it all black so it doesn't stand out to much and distract from the look as much as well.....

I've thought about adding vent tubes to the elbows. It's super quiet now, I think the tubing needed to get a slime coat. I'll add vents if it comes to it, I'd rather not and the wife agrees.

I've thought about adding vent tubes to the elbows. It's super quiet now, I think the tubing needed to get a slime coat. I'll add vents if it comes to it, I'd rather not and the wife agrees.

omgomgomg

I really like the dims of this tank. Balla!

Had the same freak out after I first set up the tank. The flow seemed off and the water was loud. After a few days the system kind of broke in and the drains are silent. The only noise you should hear should be humming pumps.

Hose length could be done either way. Mine were just a little too short based on my bad miscalculating. My water is only 1/2 way filled in the sump. My hoses go below the rim of the sump but didn't do down an extra 1-2" to the water line so there was a waterfall of about 1-2" before it splashed into the sump. Adding a sock and filterfloss stopped this. Turned out to be a decent form of detritus removal as well.

omgomgomg

I really like the dims of this tank. Balla!

I agree, for only 12 gallons the dimensions are awesome.

Had the same freak out after I first set up the tank. The flow seemed off and the water was loud. After a few days the system kind of broke in and the drains are silent. The only noise you should hear should be humming pumps.

Yep it seems to get quieter by the day, no flushing and gurgling now.

Legendary Corals

Mr. Aqua 12 gallon bookshelf tank with dual 1" drains and dual 1/2" returns

Sump: 20 gallon long

Return pump: Sicce Synchra Silent 1.5

Skimmer: SCA 301

ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155

Controller: Reefkeeper Lite

Heat: Two 100w Aqueon Pro heaters

Powerheads: None!

Light: 30" custom spectrum BuildMyLed (supposed to arrive Wednesday)

Substrate: 10 lbs Caribsea Arag-alive special grade

Rock: BRS reef saver

Just got it wet today, current FTS...

image-164.jpg

Love the dims of this tank! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Good deal on the lights showin up tomorrow :)

Yeah I totally understand, I was just suggesting as a last resort kinda thing. If blacked out it wouldn't be horribly distracting since you wouldn't need much but if you can avoid it and get enough flow to quietness without is for sure better.

Just post 3 pictures

Maybe three just for you. Heading home from work now, three day weekends FTW!

This is my smallest tank in the last 7 years, first time using dry rock, first time with LEDs, and first time with no DSB. I swear by T5s, live rock, and DSBs. Here's to hoping I can get the same results as I'm used to.

LEDs are playing major hell on the iPad, going to have to start using the dslr. I absolutely love the BML!

Here's a crap pic to hold you over, I'll try and get a true to life pic with the nice camera tomorrow.

image-169.jpg

You ####ing sell out :)! Looks really good man.

You ####ing sell out :)! Looks really good man.

Haha. Thanks, it looks freaking amazing in person.

Here are the LEDs I chose for the 30" fixture with 45 degree optics.

Royal blue

Blue

UV

2700k warm white

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

Red

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

2700k warm white

UV

Blue

Royal blue

Royal blue

Blue

UV

2700k warm white

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

Red

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

2700k warm white

UV

Blue

Royal blue

Haha. Thanks, it looks freaking amazing in person.

Here are the LEDs I chose for the 30" fixture with 45 degree optics.

Royal blue

Blue

UV

2700k warm white

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

Red

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

2700k warm white

UV

Blue

Royal blue

Royal blue

Blue

UV

2700k warm white

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

Red

Royal blue

Blue

Royal blue

2700k warm white

UV

Blue

Royal blue

Welcome to the bright side.....looks great man!

Welcome to the bright side.....looks great man!

Woooo I love the rocks

Looks real good man!

Thanks! Things are finally coming together, after a week of running the osmolator 3155 it's finally running correctly. The optic sensor wasn't working right and kept overfilling until the backup float switched it off. I was just about getting ready to send it back for a new unit when it finally broke in, been a day and a half now with no problems. Freaking evaporating a gallon a day right now, insanity.

Archived