Cultivated Reef

Chad's Long and Low 12g

Chadf

Pics aren't gonna happen, not under this lighting. My coral fund, which has grown large, will be going to a new tank. 36x18x12 so I can keep my stand and sump, and all equipment including skimmer and return. The retired sicce 1.5 will go back to the return, the 3.5 will power the closed loop. A 6x39w sunpower will light it, I'm debating on taking out the middle two bulbs and putting the current 30" bml in it.

I'm on my phone and don't know how to multiquote, so here's a quote for my reply.

T5 FTW!
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pics aren't gonna happen, not under this lighting. My coral fund, which has grown large, will be going to a new tank. 36x18x12 so I can keep my stand and sump, and all equipment including skimmer and return. The retired sicce 1.5 will go back to the return, the 3.5 will power the closed loop. A 6x39w sunpower will light it, I'm debating on taking out the middle two bulbs and putting the current 30" bml in it.

I'm on my phone and don't know how to multiquote, so here's a quote for my reply.

I like the hybrid idea. Do you like the current lighting? What do you not like about it?

I've been contemplating going with a hybrid set up....

I like the hybrid idea. Do you like the current lighting? What do you not like about it?I've been contemplating going with a hybrid set up....

LEDs by themselves suck. I've been doing this for 7 years and have seen it all, never again will I try LEDs. From top down the acros look good, from dead on they look like turds.

T5s color acros that aren't even in direct light.

LEDs by themselves suck. I've been doing this for 7 years and have seen it all, never again will I try LEDs. From top down the acros look good, from dead on they look like turds.

I feel the same way. Honestly, I was kinda hesitant to send you that frag pack because of your lights. However, I figured if anyone could make them (led's) work it would be you. I'm currently running a sun power over my 40 (6 bulb) and like it so far. It's a PAR monster, even on the sand bed so it will be great for SPS. I'll have plenty of SPS colonies in my tank to shade some spots for lesser light loving corals. If I didn't, keeping most LPS would almost be out of the question unless I raised the light up 3 feet, lol.

Just wondering but what lenses are you running? I've seen and personally colored acros with LEDs not only top down but dead on as well, and have seen others do it to so I am wondering if it isn't more the light itself issue then it is "LEDs sucking" lol

T5s are good lights (I'm considering doing a hybrid on the new display as well), hell MH will get the job done doesn't matter to me what ya run as long as it works for you :)

I feel the same way. Honestly, I was kinda hesitant to send you that frag pack because of your lights. However, I figured if anyone could make them (led's) work it would be you. I'm currently running a sun power over my 40 (6 bulb) and like it so far. It's a PAR monster, even on the sand bed so it will be great for SPS. I'll have plenty of SPS colonies in my tank to shade some spots for lesser light loving corals. If I didn't, keeping most LPS would almost be out of the question unless I raised the light up 3 feet, lol.

If I take my scoly out of the corner it bleaches under my radion that is turned down too, all 3 major light types are capable of creating to much PAR for LPS.... I used to cook LPS and polyps in my 20g w/ a 250w MH :)

Just wondering but what lenses are you running? I've seen and personally colored acros with LEDs not only top down but dead on as well, and have seen others do it to so I am wondering if it isn't more the light itself issue then it is "LEDs sucking" lol

T5s are good lights (I'm considering doing a hybrid on the new display as well), hell MH will get the job done doesn't matter to me what ya run as long as it works for you :)

If I take my scoly out of the corner it bleaches under my radion that is turned down too, all 3 major light types are capable of creating to much PAR for LPS.... I used to cook LPS and polyps in my 20g w/ a 250w MH :)

The bml has 45 degree optics.

All of my protégés are taking their 12 gallon longs apart smiley_face_sad.gif

We just can't live up to the bar you've set.

I wanted them tight so I could hang it as high as possible.

Yeah... but it also is very restrictive in its distribution/ spread so the "hot spots" are much narrower which only increases the chances of having nice tops and brown sides....

Yeah... but it also is very restrictive in its distribution/ spread so the "hot spots" are much narrower.

LEDs are stupid, although a couple clusters will go in the future sunpower. I machine and weld aluminum :)

LEDs are stupid, although a couple clusters will go in the future sunpower.

I understand you weren't going to do SPS in this tank anyways so it really shouldn't have mattered :)

I machine and weld aluminum :)

I know, I am sure it will be bad ass too! :)

Archived