Top Shelf Aquatics

*A change of scape* - Mr. Aqua 6 Long

handzoff

Would be cool if you covered the entire overflow box with LR, which would covered from the bottom to about 4 inches above the tank's height. With that set-up you could add a protein skimmer, which would be hidden from the viewer's perspective.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is where I think I have landed as far as my aquascape goes. I have a few things on order that should be here this week and then this next weekend it should be getting wet!

photo-6-e1396828583283-1024x449.jpg

image-4-e1396828815642-1024x768.jpeg

image-3-e1396828734815-1024x768.jpeg

image-2-e1396828632688-1024x768.jpeg

Looking awesome! I've always loved these tanks. Looking forward to seeing this thing stocked :)

Thanks... I really like the the long and shallow thing too. It is this shaped tank that drew me back in to the hobby. I am looking forward to seeing it stocked too. :).

Would be cool if you covered the entire overflow box with LR, which would covered from the bottom to about 4 inches above the tank's height. With that set-up you could add a protein skimmer, which would be hidden from the viewer's perspective.

a corner overflow box would look better than the center

I actually bailed on the overflow only because this tank is so narrow and it would have been really difficult to work around. I am going to start out with my heater and pump in the main display and possibly move to a canister with lily pipes down the road.

Now on to thinking about lighting! Suggestions and thoughts are very welcome. Some options I am considering.

1) Nanobox Mono

2) Rapid LED 12 Solderless LED Retrofit Kit Dimmable

3) Panorama Marine LED Fixture

4) Build My LED 14K

5) Suggestions please...

What are you looking to grow? I'd say the nano box would be great for anything really but I don't think the mono would be enough cover for the length of the tank. You'd probably need the duo.

I myself have a panorama marine led on my 60-f and like it a lot it has dual dimmers for each channel and ecoxotic offers a controller for it to set sunrise and sunsets, but I'm not sure if it'll be strong enough for sps. For the build my led, I have heard very good reviews of there lights and they can be controlled via apex or reef keeper if that's something you'd be interested in. I myself would go for the nano box duo If I had the money! Good luck choosing!

What are you looking to grow? I'd say the nano box would be great for anything really but I don't think the mono would be enough cover for the length of the tank. You'd probably need the duo.

I myself have a panorama marine led on my 60-f and like it a lot it has dual dimmers for each channel and ecoxotic offers a controller for it to set sunrise and sunsets, but I'm not sure if it'll be strong enough for sps. For the build my led, I have heard very good reviews of there lights and they can be controlled via apex or reef keeper if that's something you'd be interested in. I myself would go for the nano box duo If I had the money! Good luck choosing!

Thanks for the thoughts... As far as what I hope to keep in this tank, I guess I would like to keep my options open but my tentative plans are ricordeas, zoos, a torch or hammer, some montipora and purple povona (already been offered a frag of this from a friend), a rock flower hem or maxi-mini and anything else that might present it self. I next question will likely revolve around peoples stocking suggestions. I really do like the look of the nano-box but am not sure I can handle the price tag. I also have been following your build thread and like the light you picked up, that is why it's on my list. :) The build my LED is very intriguing for the price too.

Any one else have any thoughts?

On another note...

Tonight I hose off my rock one last time and rinsed my sand... boy was that a job. After at least an hour of rinsing it finally seemed clear enough to think about stoping.

photo-1-6-e1397277588648-1024x768.jpg

Then I started the final soak in RO Water to remove any other garbage from my tap.

photo-2-6-e1397277611781-1024x768.jpg

It was a little cloudy at first but it cleared up really quick.

photo-3-7-e1397277647867-1024x768.jpg

Going to get all of this in the tank tomorrow or Sunday and get the cycle going.

Slowly but surely moving forward. :)

NanoBox if you have the money. As suggested I'd go with the duo. BML would look real nice too.

What is the difference between the duo and the mono other than the number of LEDs? They appear to be the same length?

What is the difference between the duo and the mono other than the number of LEDs? They appear to be the same length?

The difference I saw on their website was that the mono covers up to a 18inch cube and the duo covers up to 24inch. I was looking on nano box's facebook page at photos and I don't think they are the same length the mono looked to be about half the length of the duo.

The difference I saw on their website was that the mono covers up to a 18inch cube and the duo covers up to 24inch. I was looking on nano box's facebook page at photos and I don't think they are the same length the mono looked to be about half the length of the duo.

Cool thanks for the info

So I didn't quite get to adding water today but I will be doing so tomorrow. I did how ever pick up some red drawer liner material for under the tank to replace the white stuff I had under it before. Can't even tell it's there now. :)

photo-2-10-e1397446087891-1024x768.jpg

Also I got the sand and rock into the tank and am all set to just "add water and watch it grow" (if you catch that reference you are old like me). I am thinking of starting off with Petco Real Ocean Water but I may mix my own. Anyway I have some more fts.

photo-1-9-e1397446362125-1024x768.jpg

photo-2-8-e1397446335430-1024x768.jpg

photo-3-9-e1397446312125-1024x768.jpg

photo-4-7-e1397446278415-1024x768.jpg

photo-1-7-e1397446252677-1024x768.jpg

photo-2-7-e1397446236924-768x1024.jpg

photo-4-6-e1397446169349-1024x768.jpg

photo-3-11-e1397446061630-768x1024.jpg

Looks much better with the bottoms cut off so they sit correctly in the sand and don't wobble. As for the light I would go with a fixture from Dave but ask him to make it custom.

See if he could do a 24" fixture with only 2 clusters, basically the duo but much longer and the clusters spaced apart further. This will give you plenty of coverage as well as create nicer shimmer. It would be like having 2 Kessils over your tank at a reduced cost.

I was thinking about a 36" fixture with 3 evenly spaced clusters if I ever wanted to upgrade.

Looks much better with the bottoms cut off so they sit correctly in the sand and don't wobble.

Sorry I am not following well... are you saying that it looks much better now? or it would look better if I cut the bottoms off? I didn't actually cut them but did use a trusty hammer and chisel to help them sit nice and steady.

As for the light I would go with a fixture from Dave but ask him to make it custom.

See if he could do a 24" fixture with only 2 clusters, basically the duo but much longer and the clusters spaced apart further. This will give you plenty of coverage as well as create nicer shimmer. It would be like having 2 Kessils over your tank at a reduced cost.

I was thinking about a 36" fixture with 3 evenly spaced clusters if I ever wanted to upgrade.

That is a cool idea... I just don't know if nano-box is in the budget at this point. Maybe i'll do a dimmable kit from Rapid LED and stick them in this thing in two clusters. Thanks for the link to this place .

T5's are nice to. There also what I'm using now.

Do you think that fixture over my tank would be enough for SPS down the road? Also is there any particular reason you are using T5's instead of LED? It just seems that LED is the go to and nothing else really gets talked about much.

The time has come to start thinking about stocking plans... suggestions welcome. A friend has already offered me some purple povona and some zoas. I also would like some type of torch or hammer. and eventually a maxi mini or a rock flower nem. Any other thoughts?

Nanofreak79

Do you think that fixture over my tank would be enough for SPS down the road? Also is there any particular reason you are using T5's instead of LED? It just seems that LED is the go to and nothing else really gets talked about much.

I've used all the led rigs out there, literally. I went back to T5's and have improved color and growth in all my corals. I'm not saying LEDs suck, just stating factual info on my end. I've done DIY, par bulbs, NanoBox, Vegas, radion and maxspect to name a few. I do miss the pop and some of the look from leds, but that's it.

Sps grow great under T5's. Your tank is shallow so a 2 bulb would be sufficient if you got a decent fixture and bulbs.

The time has come to start thinking about stocking plans... suggestions welcome. A friend has already offered me some purple povona and some zoas. I also would like some type of torch or hammer. and eventually a maxi mini or a rock flower nem. Any other thoughts?
A mixed reef, almost like your stating, with a little of everything would be cool.

Stopped by a local reefers house tonight to get a few piece of rubble to seed my tank. He offered a frag of what I think is some variation on the watermelon zoa that had 3.5 polyps on it and I could not say no! Opened up within 30 minutes!

Stopped by a local reefers house tonight to get a few piece of rubble to seed my tank. He offered a frag of what I think is some variation on the watermelon zoa that had 3.5 polyps on it and I could not say no! Opened up within 30 minutes!

Here is a pic... I gotta get a better lens and better lights! Any idea if this seems like it is indeed a watermelon or some such thing... each polyp is about 1/4 inch or so across when open and they have a bright yellow/green skirt and pinkish disk and a faint darkening around the mouth. I love them weather that have a fancy name or not. I just want to keep track of what I have. :)

P1040563.png

So I mentioned earlier I picked up a couple small pieces of lr rubble from an established tank. It did not have much coralline on it but some. I feel like I am noticing a few pink/purple spots forming on my rock already... am I nuts or is this actually possible?

Archived