ReefCleaners.org

*A change of scape* - Mr. Aqua 6 Long

handzoff

GOAL
After being away from the hobby for about 7 years. The goal is to create and clean and sleek long pico reef that my family can enjoy.

SETUP
Mr. Aqua 6 Gallon Mini Frameless Glass Aquarium (23.6" x 6.7" x 9.4")
Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light (24" - 36")
Hydor Koralia Nano Circulation Pump/Powerhead (425gph)
Hagen Tronic Heater (50 Watt)

Mag-Float (Mini)

FISH
Sustainable Aquatics Mocha Ocellaris Clown - Suspected Brooklynella

INVERTEBRATES
Hermits - DOA
Ceriths Snails
Nassarius Snails
Trochus Snails

SOFTIES
Metallic GSP

ZOAS
Watermelons

PESTS
Aiptasia - Superglue
Diatoms - Trochus Snails, Cerith Snails & Waterchanges
Green Film Algae - Trochus Snails, Cerith Snails, Waterchanges & Mag-Float
Bryopsis or Derbesia tenuissima

HISTORY
05/14/2014 - One Month Old
photo-11crop-1024x493.jpg

04/14/2014 - Let the cycle begin
photo-2-11crop-1024x416.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was busy building scale models of the Mr Aqua 6.5 and 12 gallon long tanks out of cardboard tonight in an effort to make a decision about which one we would be working with.

photo-1-e1391742291774-1024x768.jpg

The scale models.

photo-3-1-e1391742497716-1024x768.jpg

Possibly on this bookshelf...

photo-2-1-e1391742447425-1024x768.jpg

or on this media table.

photo-4-1-e1391742569574-1024x768.jpg

photo-5-1024x768.jpg

Taking a look at the scale of the overflow that will house all pumps and heaters.

I saw the overflow and I thought you were going to drill it and make a sump haha. I guess not. Any plans to use a skimmer?

Yeah no drilling or skimmer looking to keep it simple and as natural as possible. The idea is to let the ecosystem do it's thing with the help of weekly or biweekly water changes as I have done in the past.

Plumbing shopping list.

• 1 - 1" Lifegard Low Profile Suction Strainer, MPT Threaded
  • 1 - 1” Bulkhead ABS Thread x Slip
  • 2ft - 1/2” Braided Vinyl Tubing
  • 1 - 1/2” Y Hose Barb Connector
  • 2 - 1/2” 90° Elbow Barb x Male Thread
  • 2 - 1/2” Bulkhead ABS Thread x Thread
  • 2 - NPT Connector for 1/2” Loc-Line Modular Hose
  • 2 1/2” Flare Nozzle for 1/2” Loc-Line Modular Hose

I'm thinking about running this with a Taam Rio + 800.

Now thinking about this pump... Hydor Pico Evolution 800 Mini

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Interesting build so far. I do the same too I brought back 6 big empty cardboard boxes from my work place lol to mock up my upcoming build. Its nice to see how it will look and something to do when you're bored. x)

Sorry I can't help you with the above.

The bookshelf looks cool with the 12g. Id reinforce the shelf with some metal L brackets so that it can support about 100lbs. Remove one of the shelves for hanging the light and easier access and you should be set.

I'm interested in doing the AIO also. But I am a complete newbie that is doing alot of reading. Will be following your build closely. I just ordered my 12g long but they are on back order for up to 6 weeks. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Well I came home today to this!!!!

photo-8-e1392439068371-768x1024.jpg

Awesome right? Every thing was packed so well... lots of packing peanuts and bubble wrap.

photo-6-e1392438982907-768x1024.jpg

photo-7-e1392439034188-768x1024.jpg

photo-9-e1392439095160-768x1024.jpg

photo-51-e1392439147222-768x1024.jpg

photo-11-e1392439178277-1024x768.jpg

Hey! wait a minute... as I cut the tape on the bubble wrap I realized that something didn't seem right. The front of this tank was bowed and it was not long and low enough to be my tank.

photo-4-e1392438931156-1024x768.jpg

I would find out later that the bulkhead strainer I ordered was also missing and as I dug around later tonight I found this packing slip that did not match the invoice on the outside.

photo-3-1024x768.jpg

I do not live in San Dimas, CA and I did not order a 7.5 gallon bow front alas it was time to take the kiddos over to grandmas so my beautiful wife and I could go out and enjoy a nice Valentines Day meal so dealing with this would have to wait. On the way I did have time to call Marine Depot to discuss the issue and they seemed eager to help I will keep you posted on this matter and how helpful and smoothly the process of getting this fixed actually is.

Anyway it looked good but it was not what I ordered.

photo-2-e1392439226343-1024x768.jpg

Sad Day!

I'm interested in doing the AIO also. But I am a complete newbie that is doing alot of reading. Will be following your build closely. I just ordered my 12g long but they are on back order for up to 6 weeks. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

I have been out of the game for quite a while and this will be my first "build" of anything other than a stock tank with an hob filter and a powerhead but I will try to make this thread as helpful and detailed as possible. Thanks for following along.

I just got the wrong shipment so I will have to wait at least another week I am guessing for my tank to get here. :(

I have been out of the game for quite a while and this will be my first "build" of anything other than a stock tank with an hob filter and a powerhead but I will try to make this thread as helpful and detailed as possible. Thanks for following along.

I just got the wrong shipment so I will have to wait at least another week I am guessing for my tank to get here. :(

Maybe they will let you keep the wrongly sent tank and you can get a second tank going!

Maybe they will let you keep the wrongly sent tank and you can get a second tank going!

I was thinking that too but they already emailed me the return label. Now it is just a matter of how well the process of getting what I actually ordered goes... I do have to call them back today sometime and let them know about the strainer and that some one in San Dimas likely got the wrong order as well so maybe I'll mention it since it may be just as expensive for them to have me ship it back as to just let me keep it. It would sure help midigate my disappointment. Do you think i would get better service dealing with them here on this forum?

Well after a bit of confusion (almost completely my fault). I am now the proud owner of a Mr Aqua 7.5 gallon bow front & 6.5 gallon long. My 6.5 is on it's way and as far as the 7.5 goes... I am trying to figure out exactly what to do with it. I will start a separate thread for that one. Anyway not much more to update at this point but I must say MarineDepot.com was awesome and the customer service was impeccable. They really went out of there way to make it a good experience. Thanks!!!

IMG_3674-1024x682.jpg

Archived