Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ick!

Lifer

jedimasterben

Anectodal evidence isn't really "proof" as there are too many variables. For example, I've seen one person on another board swear up and down that they kept their tank fallow for 8 weeks and then re-introduced the fish only to have them get ich again. I went back and looked at their tank thread and it hadn't even been two weeks! Other people take the fallow time to add corals to their tanks, which has the ability to re-introduce ich that hitchikes in on frag plugs or live rock. It's all very anectodatal. Scietific studies show that, the vast majority of ich only has a one or two week tomont stage.

If there is a scientific study showing a 90 day tomont stage, please provide a link. Otherwise, I have to believe that it's sadly just an old wives tale.

I'll have to look back through my google history for that.

Those are excellent suggestions GlassHouse, I will be focused on my corals. I will need to be cjareful not to inadvertently add unwanted pests to the tank. I also found this article that I thought was really informative on quarantine tanks. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/quarantining-marine-fish-made-simple

Excellent article. I'm a proponent of quarantine and prophylactic treatment for all incoming fish. It never fails that the one fish that I don't treat inevitably brings something into the DT.

I'm a fan of QT as well. One thing that was recommended to me that I haven't had the chance to try yet is chloroquine phosphate. You might take a look into that, it is supposed to be less stressful than copper.

idk if you knew but if you put garlic in the food it will boost their immune system. When i first put my wrasse in my tank he was being bullied and was stressed and got ick. I put garlic in his food it was gone in a day and he has been fine ever since.

I'm feeding a chopped frozen combo of krill and mysis shrimp "marine cuisine" . I put the chopped garlic you get at the grocery store in jars and put some pieces and juice in with the defrosted food and left it in the fridge over night. It just boosts their immune system so the parasite is still in your tank but lets be honest most fish you get from your lfs probably will bring the parasite with them.

unless you qt

That's really interesting Deejax what are you feeding? And are you putting actual garlic, or an extract?

Use garlic guard and actual pieces of garlic chopped up, fish love it and are attracted to it.

but i'm agreeing with everyone else, a tang in a small tank = most likely ich. I'm not one to bash but instead try to help. i never approve of placing a smaller tang in a smaller tank then upgrading later.

idk if you knew but if you put garlic in the food it will boost their immune system. When i first put my wrasse in my tank he was being bullied and was stressed and got ick. I put garlic in his food it was gone in a day and he has been fine ever since.

I thought this was disproved? (Garlic boosting immunity) We know it improves feeding response, but I thought the immunity improvement was found to be inaccurate in marine species?

OK, so I think that I should officially announce to this thread that I will never own another tang again! Thank you to all reefers to comment their concerns.

Ptw, thanks for the garlic advice, I'm gonna try it in my FO tank.

I thought this was disproved? (Garlic boosting immunity) We know it improves feeding response, but I thought the immunity improvement was found to be inaccurate in marine species?

It helps picky eaters, maybe if a fish is stressed and you get it to eat the stress level will go down so then less likely to get ich?

I didn't do much research. I searched a few forums and saw it and gave it a try. It is possible that my wrasse just made his home and became more comfortable with the tank and became healthy.

jedimasterben

Garlic has anti-parasitic effects... but does nothing against dinoflagellates (aka the ich parasite) and really doesn't do much of anything for fish other than have a funny smell and taste, which can entice fish into eating more. Will help 0% in the battle.

Archived