Cultivated Reef

First salt water aquarium

shawnwaldon

After four years of freshwater planted tanks I figured it was time to try out saltwater. I am starting with a fowlr until I get used to maintaining it then I will start buying corals. I was originally going to use my 10 gallon, but after reading some of the articles on using bleach to clean an aquarium (that is what I am doing right now) and learning what it can possibly do to my future inhabitants I will be using my new 20 high I just bought. In the end it is probably for the best. I have done this with a freshwater setup before and had no problems,but I would rather be safe than sorry. So this is my current set up and I wanted to get some opinions on it.

20 tall

24 x 12 x 16

320 gph propeller circulation pump

AquaTech HOB filter

Aquatic Life 36" Dual T5ho (the light was purchased for my 40b)

Aragonite sand (not live)

2 lbs of live rock

I know the light is too big for my tank, but I figure if it works good I will purchase another one for the tank that is the right size. I plan on getting more live rock soon and plan on building it up to around 30lbs. My lfs gave me some sand from one of their tanks to help seed mine. I am hoping to start setting it up in a day or two. Any opinions are welcome. My cat keeps coming in here and he finally tried the water in my bucket. He takes a sip then looks at it for awhile then tries it again. I guess he is undecided on what he thinks about saltwater. Too funny.

Sounds like a good start a little more flow won't hurt, and you could seed some dry rock with your live rock to save a little money. The aquaclear hob filters are what a lot of people run for all the mods available, I'm running the same tank and I enjoy it.

Sounds like a good start a little more flow won't hurt, and you could seed some dry rock with your live rock to save a little money. The aquaclear hob filters are what a lot of people run for all the mods available, I'm running the same tank and I enjoy it.

I was thinking that putting more flow in the tank would be a good thing, but from the articles I read here they recommend between 7 to 10 times tank volume and I am at 16x with just my powerhead. Of course most people say you want at least 20x. What do you think about adding a second powerhead of the one I already have?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried it myself but have read about plenty of people using bleach to clean an aquarium, but you could probably just rinse it with some vinegar and call it good if you didn't want to buy a new tank. If I were you I would buy a tank that was 36" long; you wouldn't have to buy a new light, you would have more options for fish stocking, and you would have more room for error in regards to your water parameters if it held more water. That being said your plans sound good. :welcome:

I have a 40 breeder that I am planning on putting everything in if I like saltwater. I just wanted to try it out for the least amount of investment and all the equipment I have laying around is good for a 20 gallon. That is why I chose to go with the 20 tall instead of my 40 breeder to start off. The light was actually from my 40breeder.

Well the tank has offically cycled so I will wait a few days to make sure all the water peramitiers stay where they are and then I will get a CUC. 1488319_831583523524996_1897938330_n.jpg

My CUC is hard at work and I think what I have purchased is the perfect amount of CUC for my tank the way it is now. Unfortunately both the fish my wife chose have passed on so I think I will let the tank mature for another couple weeks before I put any fish in the tank. The first picture is from when I added the CUC three days ago and the second pic is today.

post-83385-0-32947600-1393378590_thumb.jpg

post-83385-0-81173000-1393378592_thumb.jpg

shawnwaldon

I have started getting a green color algae on my LR and I am curious if it is a good thing or not. I am thinking of going out and getting a few more pounds of LR for my system because I am only up to 13lbs in the tank. 1798696_841343925882289_1232047169_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
shawnwaldon

Big update,

I had to break down the 20 gallon and put everything in a 10 gallon tank due to budget issues. I have also purchased 2 coral frags and a new Clown fish. I can't remember what the person at my LFS said they were, but I am sure it will come to me at some point.

post-83385-0-67257000-1398221324_thumb.jpgpost-83385-0-05346000-1398221326_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
shawnwaldon

What is pita? So far everything is going good just having to deal with a nitrate problem due to picky fish who won't eat their food once it hits the sand.

Here is another update. I was able to trade a spare tank to my LFS for 30lbs of live rock and I also have aquired a used 90 gallon with stand off craigslist for $40. I am going to take my time with setting this tank up and getting all the equipment for it before I put anything in it. Once it is ready to go whatever is in my 10 gallon will be put in the 90.

Archived