ReefCleaners.org

BigAl's Spec V FROGSAWN!

BigAl18

post-83262-0-01912900-1394253902_thumb.jpg

I've been inspired by these forums to build my first saltwater tank. The big draw for me was the fact that everything can be done in one tank. I have a few LFS's in town and had some birthday money to use. Everything is stock at the moment to get the cycle going but upgrades are on their way.

No exact plans for stock in here yet but I was able to find a beautiful rock as my centerpiece.

Equipment:
Upgrade pump to mini-jet 606 (DONE)
Upgrade media with chemipure and sponge (DONE)
Custom RapidLED system with 4 CREE RB and 2 CREE NW (DONE)

In the Tank:
LFS water
4+ lbs of cured Live Rock (looks kind of like a dog from the outside eh?)
CaribSea crushed coral

post-83262-0-62960300-1391403227_thumb.jpg

post-83262-0-59834800-1391403384_thumb.jpg

2/9 FTS
post-83262-0-05243100-1391961298_thumb.jpg

3/7 FTS
post-83262-0-01912900-1394253902_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice rock...like the small piece as a counterpoint.

Check out the Fluval Spec owner thread as well...come over and let us know how we are doing!

I got my 606 in and it has much higher output as expected, still not sure if it pushes enough to the dead corner because the rock is so big. Its also kinda loud. I have 2 kids so it won't be too noticeable but definitely louder than the stock. Will it 'break in' and get quieter?

I took the covers off and shaved some plastic nubs off and it slides down the chamber perfectly.

Still waiting on the rest of my equipment to come this weekend for new pics, I've already started modding my stock fixture and the whites don't work anymore but that will change soon.

I also found a good piece of plastic for skimming and when I put it in, immediately saw much better surface movement. I will check this morning, but I do have lots of floaties on top of the tank when I look down on it.

I got my 606 in and it has much higher output as expected, still not sure if it pushes enough to the dead corner because the rock is so big. Its also kinda loud. I have 2 kids so it won't be too noticeable but definitely louder than the stock. Will it 'break in' and get quieter?

It will, but most of the noise I had was vibration against the sides. You can use some padding (rubber mat kind of stuff) of fiddle with it until it is not rubbing against the sides.

Edit: Mine is essentially silent now.

Mine's totally silent. Maybe it has a break in period, but I don't remember any noise from it at all. Did everyone else completely remove the filter screen?

Thanks for the feedback. I definitely feel like it is more the pump itself that is louder. I trimmed it down and used the little suction pads at the bottom so it isn't vibrating on that. I will check tonight and see if I can figure out where it is vibrating the most. I may just stick some foam in the void space next to it to stabilize it, or maybe I should move it to the middle so there is empty space in front and back of it. Should be getting my lights this weekend :haha:

So I got my lights yesterday from RapidLED and they went in quite easily as I got a solderless setup. I used 2 solderless nighttime kits and added 2 NW CREE's.

post-83262-0-43987600-1391959298_thumb.jpg

They are all mounted inside the stock light enclosure on an aluminum bar from Home Depot With the Berquist thermal pads. I aligned them on the bar the way I wanted the lights to set up and peeled the other side off to stick the lights on. I'm pretty sure that the lower power of the drivers will allow the lights to stay pretty cool and the aluminum will be sufficient

post-83262-0-05180700-1391959792_thumb.jpg

Here you can see the actual light layout in the reflection, all I need now is a splash guard for the lights. Nothing in the tank so I'm tot too worried.

Here are my night lights:

post-83262-0-76791400-1391960874_thumb.jpg

And here are the Day lights:

post-83262-0-49672700-1391960918_thumb.jpg

I am so impressed with the brightness of the 6 lights and how easy they were to set up.

The main thing I am still waiting for I a heater and to get some growth in here. The shop I got the water from said I should be good in a week which would be today, but nothing seems to be going in so far...patience is a virtue though

Thanks Muraki, I had intented to build up LR next to the left wall and leave the right end more open, but when the lady at my LFS was going through the bin of cultured LR and pulled this one out, I measured the height of this one and was in love with it. Fits perfect and it has some nice character to it.

Still waiting to see any growth, there are two very, very microscopic white things on the wall and one seems to be moving a tail picking up things in the current. I don't have a heater in there yet though and the temp stays in the low 70's. have a Hydor Theo that should be coming this week.

I have ChemiPure Elite coming along with it, but still very unsure about what to do with filtration and skimming. I have a piece of plastic in there but doesn't seem to be doing its job properly. I have seen people using the BioCube protein skimmer, what is everyones thoughts on using that along with the CPE with a bit of sponge wrapped around it down below or next to it? I will probably set up some sort of removal string/cord to change it when necessary.

I have a MP10 for circulation and a biocube protein skimmer. To be honest I am not 100% happy with the skimmer. I am thinking of just scraping away the coating in the chamber and attaching a LED light to grow Chaeto, I know it won't do to much, but having somewhere for copepods and such too thrive would be nice. I wish I was able to find a nice rock like you have. to be honest my Spec V looks a little cluttered but kinda like it like that. I am attempting to line the black wall with Red mangrove shoots in hopes they grow.

I would love to see your tank Muraki! I am considering to use Chaeto and ChemiPure Elite in a DIY chamber with a bit of foam or floss on top, just need to figure out how to make a rack without having to buy an entire 2'x4' light grid for $15-20. (first word probs I know).

I've had family in town since the weekend so no water quality checks. Just waiting for life in the tank and a heater should help. I also just bought the surface skimmer from inTank on eBay, should have it by the end of the week.

Heater is in and set to about 85-86 mounted in the pump chamber. I tried to use the suction cups to mount it to the wall but dropped them and they are now sitting on top of the pump. :( Over the past few days this gets the tank up to about 81 during the day and 76 during the night for some reason though. Is that too big of a temp change?

The water in back feels pretty warm to the touch when I get home from work and I have noticed a bit more water loss since it has been in and set properly. I'm gonna get some top off water and have my existing water tested this weekend. A friend gave me a Bluelab PH meter that I have been usingwhich says its at 7.4-7.6 which is a bit lower than when I started I think at closer to 8.

81 during the day and 76 during the night for some reason though. Is that too big of a temp change?

Most would consider that a detrimental swing in temp. I don't like more than a full degree difference over the course of 24 hours.

Thanks TJ that's why I'm thinking of moving the heater into the tank itself to hopefully provide more consistent heat. As I said, the water in the pump chamber seems to be staying pretty hot, but that doesn't seem to move into the tank for some reason.

Came home and saw this

post-83262-0-16560500-1392432311_thumb.jpg

Glad to see things are progressing. I forgot to turn on the day lights today. This tank is in a pretty bright room that gets a LOT of morning sun. If I keep it here maybe I won't turn the day lamps on (2x RB CREEs and 2x NW CREES) until later in the day. A few more brown splotches on the rock and base. Maybe its time for my CUC.

I also have my heater in the same chamber as the pump. The tank stays at a constant 78.5-79F when I have the heater set at 80F. That chamber will stay around 93-100F but ever other part of the tank stays right 79F. So as of now I have left my heater in that chamber. Oddly my Nerite snails will hang out in that hot chamber..... I too have considered moving my heater, but with the temperature staying steady I have not yet.

I have one of these: http://www.marinedepot.com/ViaAqua_Titanium_Aquarium_Heater_Titanium_Aquarium_Heaters-ViaAqua-VA73334-FIHTTH-vi.html

When ordering a clean up crew from reefcleaners, get the smallest crew they offer. You will have so many extra's including plenty of hermit crabs that aren't listed.

Brought a sample of water to get tested and everything looked good except for nitrates (I think). He showed me a tube that turned almost neon pink, almost purple. He said to do half tank change and I would be good to go next weekend. Any thoughts on that?

I also siphoned some of the algae fuzz out and it grew back this morning.

First water change this weekend, I will most likely be taking out about half of the crushed corals at the bottom as it looks too big to me. When I started this I really considered to not use any substrate at all. Hopefully I can add a CUC by the end of the weekend, I really like Hermits and crabs but am feeling that snails are the smarter choice.

My future plans are to have a few corals and a shrimp with a small fish or 2. CUC first though to make sure it will all be sustainable. Pics to come

2 gallon water change last night and mixed up my own water to add back in was successful. Also took out about half of the base of crushed coral and feel much better about the look.

post-83262-0-58697500-1393106519_thumb.jpg

Much more space underneath for fishies to hide in the future.

Here is the other side too

post-83262-0-68459100-1393106447_thumb.jpg

Getting water tested tomorrow.

Params looked good today and got a little CUC. 3 hermits and an emerald crab.
post-83262-0-24667800-1393208744_thumb.jpg
post-83262-0-59902700-1393208724_thumb.jpg

My wife has chosen to name the hermits Downton Crabbies and the Emerald will be Emerald Lagasse.

They are hard at work cleaning it all up. I walso found the frag section at my LFS (much lower prices than their corals) and will prolly get some in the next weekend or 2.

Archived