Cultivated Reef

February 2014 Featured Reef - ziareefer's 50 Gallon Reef

Christopher Marks

Gorgeous tank! Congratulations. I love the variety of color, shapes, and textures in this tank.

Great video.

One question.....the tank appears to have a lot of flow. I thought seahorses could not handle much flow but your seahorse seems to be doing great. Is this seahorse unique or can they adapt to heavier flow?

Awesome tank, congrats!

Thanks Lala :happy:

Gorgeous tank! Congratulations. I love the variety of color, shapes, and textures in this tank.

Great video.

One question.....the tank appears to have a lot of flow. I thought seahorses could not handle much flow but your seahorse seems to be doing great. Is this seahorse unique or can they adapt to heavier flow?

Thank you so much for the thoughtful compliments!

Seahorse's can take a good amount of flow as long as they have plenty of low flow zones to rest in when they want. As a matter a fact they quiet often play/surf in the higher flow zones from time to time. Also you need flow to keep the nuisance algae's from building up on your display macros, sponges etc...An addition it keeps the detritus from settling creating a breeding ground for bacteria.

In this older video (Softy/Macro tank 1.0) you can see my ponies playing in the flow @ about minute 5:55

bravo ... well deserved .. but, we need more stick pictures :P

:lol: TY Buddy! Stickigh vid coming up!

Congrats!

Thanks man, greatly appreciated!

Congratulations, very inspiring!

Inspiring.. to you really :D Well you inspired me to rip out my entire old sump and plumbing after i seen what a awesomely clean job you did on your newest reef.

Congrats! Nice color!

Color is what i was shooting for on this one, so thank you!

Congrats Z! even tho I already said it...I will say it again officially so it's official...ya' know :ninja::flower:

When G2E says it's Official than you know it's legit! Thanks chica!

Ok, now letz keep this TOTM Partae rolling!!!

268_zps124bf8eb.jpg

311_zps9e96944c-1.jpg

& Now the Video...............enjoy *watch in HD

Seahorse's can take a good amount of flow as long as they have plenty of low flow zones to rest in when they want. As a matter a fact they quiet often play/surf in the higher flow zones from time to time. Also you need flow to keep the nuisance algae's from building up on your display macros, sponges etc...An addition it keeps the detritus from settling creating a breeding ground for bacteria.

Thank you for clarifying the flow and seahorse questiion. That makes sense.

The video of the seahorses playing in the flow is fantastic. Makes me want to get seahorses (but I've heard they are a LOT of work so I have never gotten them).

Watched video...*fainted*

That's how i felt when i watched your vid last night!

damn, you are a sick man .. I kept wishing for more video of the softie tank ... beautiful

Your correct, my lps/sps tank is wayyy overdue for a updated/detailed video of the stix and other inhabitants. Hmm

Thank you for clarifying the flow and seahorse questiion. That makes sense.

The video of the seahorses playing in the flow is fantastic. Makes me want to get seahorses (but I've heard they are a LOT of work so I have never gotten them).

NP, and yea they take some serious dedication but worth it.

Fantastic tank(s). Very inspiring!! Congrats...

TY TY!!

**************************************************************************************************************

So does anyone remember seahorse tank 1.0?! It will meet a spectacular end very soon. That situation is long over due. Now that i have my Sunday's free again due to football being over, i'll have to get on that.

Also posted alot of updated fish/seahorse pix here

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/321752-zias-reef-room-sik-video-pg182/page-182

Thanks buddy! Just read your awesome deep blue 80g upgrade newz :naughtydance:

Haha i cant wait. Got half the stuff for it already. And getting a sweet skimmer for my birthday! :D

Congrats. Beautiful tank

Thanks, it's appreciated!

I have a question regarding the plumbing. What type of plumbing is the Red Pipe? Is it a type of PVC or some other type of material?

Just regular sch 40 pvc. It comes in a variety of colors and i wanted something a little more different for this tank.

CatColorImage_2.jpg

You can order it here http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/asw-furniture-grade-colored-5-pvc-pipe-1-2-schedule-40

• 5 months later...

Archived