Pod Your Reef

Voltage

Snprhed

I have a Reef Brite strip that uses 3w cree royal blues. They are actully driven at 1.5w though, I assume to keep them cool and eliminate the need for fans or elaborate heatsinks extending the life of the bulb.

Anyway I am intersted in replacing some of the leds with your exotic hyper violets and exotic true violets, both of which are similar to the cree 3w leds, but will they work at the 1.5w?

jedimasterben

Cree is a brand name, not a type of LED, and the Reefbrite line does not use them, their LEDs are Chinese in origin and cannot handle being run near 3w each.

But really, wattage doesn't mean anything other than the power they consume. The voltage and amperage do, the power supply determines the amperage and the LED adjusts its voltage. The reefbrite strips more than likely run on a constant voltage power supply (which is not optimal) and the voltage needs to be matched exactly.

In order to do what you need, you need to verify the package used by the LEDs, find a replacement that fits, and then make sure that the forward voltage matches exactly. In addition, to replace the LEDs you need to be able to reflow the old ones off and reflow the new ones on, and it is not an easy task. These strips were not meant to be modified, so it will be very difficult if you can find stuff that matches what you need.

Archived