Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tiny pink swimming things (lots of em overnight after adding CUC)

eolith

ANSWERED: See the answer on posts http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/340619-tiny-pink-swimming-things-lots-of-em-overnight-after-adding-cuc/page-3#entry4628959'>52 and 53

I posted this in the Ultimate ID Thread, too, as my last request for ID went unanswered:

Help!

Ok, guys, yesterday got my CUC from ReefCleaners.org, and I just came home from a cub scouts overnighter with my son to a cloud of these things (1-2mm at the body, excluding the tail) floating in my tank. They are also self-mobile. Occasionally I see one "wriggle" and swim upwards. Are these eggs of some sort?

EDIT: After posting this, feeding my green chromis' and getting settled in, I looked gain and they're all gone. Meaning I can't find them and have no clue what happened to them.

eolith-2014-02-01-01.jpg
eolith-2014-02-01-02.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, markalot. 1-2mm at the body, excluding tail. They seem to have disappeared while I was processing the photos and posting them online. I fed the 3 green chromis' I have. They were ignoring them before, maybe they ate them?

Okay, I did a bit of poking around online, and those are definitely coral gametes. Do you by any chance have Briareum sp, (Pachyclavularia violacea) in your tank? Because that's the only thing documented that releases pink gametes. If it's not the coral mentioned, then it could be something else. If your tank is a FOWLR right now, it could be a pest anemone gamete (like Aiptasia) or even a sea cucumber gamete.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-06/eb/index.htm

huh. I have no corals, tank is only 3 weeks old, still cycling. Just rock, live rock, 3 chromis, and my clean up crew (cleaner shrimp, emerald mithrax, snails/hermits); and a ton of algae. Mostly diatoms, some green, few spots of bubble algae. So, yeah, FOWLR.

Can you please provide some reference links to what you're finding? With those terms provided I don't see a matching image anywhere.

huh. I have no corals, tank is only 3 weeks old, still cycling. Just rock, live rock, 3 chromis, and my clean up crew (cleaner shrimp, emerald mithrax, snails/hermits); and a ton of algae. Mostly diatoms, some green, few spots of bubble algae. So, yeah, FOWLR.

Can you please provide some reference links to what you're finding? With those terms provided I don't see a matching image anywhere.

Strange then. Very strange. I inserted the link in my previous post - feel free to browse through it. Maybe it is some other invert gamete. I'm quite positive by the shape and motility described that it's a gamete. I just don't know for certain which organism released it, that's all.

that's kind of off topic. Feel free to comment in my thread (click on my sig image). FYI, i added them after the cycling was nearly complete. I did live sand, live rock, bio-spira, all my numbers except nitrates are very close the desired range.

I don't think they're any kind of coral gamete. They are too large to be sperm, which have a flagellum like these. They look like some sort of larvae though.

It very well could have come from your live rock and have been dormant/eggs up until last night when they hatched. Most things will spawn at night time and they may have been looking for some live foods to eat and either died off or are hiding among the rockwork since you said the lights were on for only about an hour before you got home.

Archived