Innovative Marine Aquariums

CNC ASIS Build Updates Two 4 x 12 in Pearl White Powder)

DVaDeR77

God D*&*IT MOTHER @@@@#$ SH** SON of a B WORD. Thanks Evil

Back to the drawing board and to think i do have some white lying at home.

Sorry bud, but you know it will look far more awesomer when it's all done up in white. :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bdevillier19

Lol I knew this was going to happen. Grit your teeth and tear it apart. You'll be happy you did. At least you weren't completely done with it.

Yea i know only took me like 20 min or so to run the red wire. Now Vader does have a red light saber.

But he doesn't have a white torso, so.... Storm Trooper all the way.

Noooooooo! (As he raises his fist's in the air)

I'll have to get some new white wire as what I thought was white wire I had was indeed more of a grey.

• 3 months later...

So been busy with work and new house will have time to get working on these lights again, however been debating my LEDs now that Dave from nanobox is selling his new led boards with lime. Is it worth getting his boards ( I would use 4 of them) or sticking with the set up I have. I would have less wiring and everyone seems to like his lights. Tell me what u guys think.

bdevillier19

I would stay with what you have. Dave's boards are nice but only offer 2 channels of control. Just add a few limes to your array

I could add anywhere from 5 to 9 limes to my array but am I able to run them with my 3 cyans I have meaning on that string as that is the only way I see it possible working if so awesome.

bdevillier19

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Jedi was running his limes with his cyans. Might want to double check is light build just to be sure.

• 2 months later...

Bout to finish this build and now that limes are available I was thinking about adding 4 limes to each light and tying them in with the 3 cyans I have as well as running the 2 vero10s off one 700 driver vs running them one there own 300. I will of course run them in parallel. Just allows me to run 5 odds in stead of 6. Your thoughts?

jedimasterben

If you've already got the LDD and everything is all set up, figure out if the change is worth the effort/cost. You aren't losing any efficiency or anything by switching to different LDD.

And yes, lime it up.

Ive got 3 driver boxes. 2 boxes were holding a 5up board(1 for each light) the 3rd was going to hold a 2up board and a fan board. so that 2 up was the 2 additional drivers I was looking to eliminate. none of the wires have been run other than whats in the pics above. I have everything except the limes. just trying to get rid of that extra box. other wise I could just switch over to those 13ups that NanoBox has and make it that much easier for wiring.

jedimasterben

But that third box is still going to have your fan circuitry, right?

Are you using SCW for fan power or separate 12v plus the little fan thing from Coralux?

jedimasterben

So you've got a total of 12x LDD right now, but can get that down to 10x?

O2Surplus on RC has a few board designs that incorporate a Meanwell SCW, which is a step down converter to 12v (or 9v, or 5v, whichever you choose). It also has a small circuit built into it. The first is just a 5v pin that activates the output of the SCW (used to turn the fan on and off) and the second is a 5v PWM input to modulate the SCW output voltage, so you can slow the fans down if need be. All on the same board that can house four or eight LDD. :)

So you've got a total of 12x LDD right now, but can get that down to 10x?

Yes

I have the old fan board not the new board but was thinking about picking it up and also getting those new plugs with wires for the storm.

jedimasterben

Yes I have the old fan board not the new board but was thinking about picking it up and also getting those new plugs with wires for the storm.

Not sure what the old fan boards are lol

I would suggest to look to what O2 makes first, his boards are much more feature-rich than what Coralux provides at this time (though Ben at Coralux does what he can to keep up with DIY).

I see he makes a 5up board with built in drivers where u choose the driver size. How would I get a hold of him as I'm not on that forum. I'll send u Jedi a link in a pm.

• 4 weeks later...

So.... I keep going through different scenario's in my head about my lighting. I'm finding it hard to finish these lights as life is getting in the way. Do I push through and try and finish these or sell them for a T5 set up( that coralvue t5led 36" 100 doll or fixture and retro in daves 13 up arrays). I'm on the fence only because of free time I have, the retro would be done at a later date of course. Just want to get this tank up and running asap.

Buy the CoralVue before its gone. Put it in the closet, Dave is not going anywhere. Use it on your next tank.

Finish this light, because the CNC fixture is awesome.

Second, dont worry about placement of your violets. They can go anywhere.

They dont add strip club color separation, they are too dim. You cant see them.

Put them on outside edges or corners, get them out of your way.

Then put everything else in as straight a row you can, down the middle of the heatsink.

You have Veros, stop worrying about lime.

Youre going to be running the Veros at 25-30%. If you need more white, turn them up to 35%.

I had Cyans in my cluster, I would ditch them for (not RB) Blue if I made one again.

One last idea. Use 22 white solid. Solder real tight, no flying copper, no excess solder. And bend the wire nice and tight along and around the edges of your stars, carefully with hemostats. Imagine youre making a printed circuit board with it, with the trace just following the star. If you do it right, no one will see the wire.

Channel 1) Vero 1

Channel 2) Vero 2

Channel 3) RB M

Channel 4) Blue

Channel 5) Violets

Both Veros can be one channel, but why?

And you got one channel left over. PWM signal for PWM fan?

Additional thought. Put both Veros on Channel 1. Put 4 Philips 4up Luxeon RB Ks on Channel 2. Right down the line.

So get rid of the cyan and add some more blue ( not rb) and forget about lime. Keep it 5 channels. Remember I also have two of these fixtures to go over a 40 gallon.

I've been reading about scw that can plug into a board how exactly does that work to control a fan using the Storm X and not a fan board.

jedimasterben

O2surplus on RC has designed boards that hold LDD drivers and the SCW that have a fan circuit built in. Give a 5v signal to turn it on, and a PWM signal to another pin to control the output voltage. Dude is brilliant.

Archived